over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Working around knee problems

greenwinger

Newbies
I'm have a really disheartening problem with my knee. I hurt it squatting about 4 months ago. It doesn't hurt to run or walk but once my knees bends to 90 degrees i have shooting pain in my knee. This makes any squatting impossible, including leg pressing with no weight! So I went to a sports medicine doctor who said it was most likely an overuse injury. Following his sugestion I took 15 weeks off from squatting and all quad work and just did ham and glute work while visiting a Physical Therapist once a week. My knee began feeling better (no longer hurting when I was going upstairs), so this week I started to work quads again but when I tried to do a leg press with no weight on the bar it started hurting again. I do not wish to compete in bodybuilding so I don't need massive quads, I'm just an ex-rugby player who wants to keep my legs respectably sized. I'm basically just asking if there is anything 'wrong' with not working my quads for another 6-12 months and just hammering my glutes and hams. I really respect your guys' opinions!

I use decca. When my knee starts hurting after squats. I do half squats with no weights the very next day as many as I can do. It sounds crazy but it works for me

foam roll before every leg workout and train the mountaindog way! my knee was useless until i started doing hams first. I was just squattig 500 x 10 on sunday and my knees didnt hurt one bit! did injure my lower back though lol..:D

Thanks for the response, at this point I'm willing to try anything! I can do half squats so it's worth a shot. Btw I don't use any gear and never have, I considered using peptides to rehab from a rugby injury but was too afraid to test positive during the season. I'll be the first to admit that I'm kind of a pussy when it comes to gear, just too afraid to get caught or have crazy sides.

I tore my ACL at 18 and pretty much have been sucking it up, thats the only way. Still hurts everyday and still cracks and gets sore. I try and use linaments and warm up. I can still squat pretty good and I have pretty decent legs but the best advice I can say is to just deal with it, which I know sucks:(

did you get a scan? its not a meniscus tear or something? that pretty much incapacitated me until i got it fixed and for several months after.

did you get a scan? its not a meniscus tear or something? that pretty much incapacitated me until i got it fixed and for several months after.

I got x-rays done by the SM doc and he said he didn't think any soft tissue scans were needed but I'm starting to think it might be tendonitis or something like that. Maybe some good knee sleeves would work.

foam roll before every leg workout and train the mountaindog way! my knee was useless until i started doing hams first. I was just squattig 500 x 10 on sunday and my knees didnt hurt one bit! did injure my lower back though lol..:D

I do love mountaindog training! I've been training hams first ever since that article came out on T-Nation. That's why I think it might be tendonitis because I was really warmed up when it was injured and I wasn't using an absurd amount of weight

i just find different angles and go with that...

Lunges hurt my knees but the machine where the seat moves when you legpress but the feet are stationary is great for 1 leg leg presses.

Knee wraps for heavy squats, and finally the machine were you can face it or put your back to it and squat is always good too(not sure what its called though, sorry.)

Recently hurt my knee also man it sucks! I use Vicks vapor rub at night and elevate it. Also having trouble cant squat or do leg presses with NO weight at all.. Considering using wraps. Anything with the knee over the foot ie stairs ladders definitely not lunges hurts pretty bad. Then with over-compensating with my good leg at work threw my lower back out too. I'm fucked now and my legs are getting soft, I hate it. I got some deca to use, see how that works.
I was just building up my squats too man, now I gotta start from scratch. Its been over a month and the healing is really dragging on

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, at this point I'm willing to try anything! I can do half squats so it's worth a shot. Btw I don't use any gear and never have, I considered using peptides to rehab from a rugby injury but was too afraid to test positive during the season. I'll be the first to admit that I'm kind of a pussy when it comes to gear, just too afraid to get caught or have crazy sides.

You play rugby professionally? Where at? I didn't know there was a pro level for this in the U.S., unless you're not in the U.S. It's only a club level sport at the college level.

Couple of suggestions.

Look into ART (Active Release Technique)
Get some good knee sleeves and warm up
Look into Mike Robertson's "Bullet Proof Knees" article
Get yourself a tire. Drill a hole through the tread. Put an eyebolt in that sucker. Attach a chain and viola, you got a sled. Sled drags will still blow up your quads/legs and it should minimize knee pain.

Good luck to you!

if squatting hurts that bad, dont squat. try leg presses and split squats and stuff first. split squats are nice cause the shin remains vertical so it helps me with knee pain. tommy kono knee bands are a godsend as well.

Probably mostly tendinosis with some tendinitis, this assumes they have ruled out torn meniscus which would be my first thought. Remember to only push the with the HEEL of the food when doing squats/presses, NOT the ball of the foot. If pushing with the ball hurts, and keeping pressure on the heel doesn't hurt, it could be ACL. Bottom line you need an MRI to know for sure (even then it can be inconclusive). A good therapist should be able to figure it out if he knows what he's doing and it's not a combination of too many things.

Do you squat with perfect form? or do you just squat?

You play rugby professionally? Where at? I didn't know there was a pro level for this in the U.S., unless you're not in the U.S. It's only a club level sport at the college level.

I played D-1. The NCAA doesn't test it was just my university. They were strict about alot of stuff. For example, since we were only counted as a club level sport we could only have organized practices twice a week, now we would meet off campus all the time to practice other times but we were even suspended for that. I graduated last year so I'm no longer tested but I'm still holding out as long as possible before I use.

Couple of suggestions.

Look into ART (Active Release Technique)
Get some good knee sleeves and warm up
Look into Mike Robertson's "Bullet Proof Knees" article
Get yourself a tire. Drill a hole through the tread. Put an eyebolt in that sucker. Attach a chain and viola, you got a sled. Sled drags will still blow up your quads/legs and it should minimize knee pain.

Good luck to you!

Thanks I didn't even think about the sled. I even still have a cheap one lying around somewhere.

Probably mostly tendinosis with some tendinitis, this assumes they have ruled out torn meniscus which would be my first thought. Remember to only push the with the HEEL of the food when doing squats/presses, NOT the ball of the foot. If pushing with the ball hurts, and keeping pressure on the heel doesn't hurt, it could be ACL. Bottom line you need an MRI to know for sure (even then it can be inconclusive). A good therapist should be able to figure it out if he knows what he's doing and it's not a combination of too many things.

Do you squat with perfect form? or do you just squat?

I think I squat pretty well but I've never had an experienced lifter critique my form. I've never had ACL problems and the doctor did that thing where he basically flicked my ACL, it didn't hurt and he said it had plenty of 'snap' in it. But I will try to press again and focus intensely on keeping pressure on my heel

I think I squat pretty well but I've never had an experienced lifter critique my form. I've never had ACL problems and the doctor did that thing where he basically flicked my ACL, it didn't hurt and he said it had plenty of 'snap' in it. But I will try to press again and focus intensely on keeping pressure on my heel

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao]EliteFTS.com So You Think You Can Squat Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

This may help, squats are really hard to master especially if you have never had anyone advanced teach you. I'm still learning how to squat perfect and I've been doing what I THOUGHT were good squats for almost 25 years, basically you never stop improving...

This may not have anything to do with your knee issue, but it may help also...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity