over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Working nights and staying motivated?

Medic08

Kilo Klub Member
Hey guys I've been a paramedic for 4 years now, but recently switched to a night shift 5p-5a and it is become an issue with accomplishing my goals. I am more tired than usual, energy is down, I have to talk my self into going to the gym everyday when before it was something I looked foward to. My appetite is also down and needless to say my eating schedule is all jacked up! Oh and dis I mention that I go to college once I get off work in the morning? I just looking for pointers from anyone who has had these same issues from working a crazy schedule and how you fixed it. Thanks in advance.

hey bro, i am just coming off the night shift from 2.5 years on it...It is not easy to maintain the bodybuilding lifestyle on this shift, at least it wasnt for me.

You really need to make an effort to find a routine that works with your body. Make sure that you completely black out all the light in your bedroom- black curtains, whatever you need to do..i keep the fan on to drown out outside noise. sleep is imperative.

its up to you, but if my energy was lagging, id pop a couple of thermos (amped by ergopharm is my favorite)...just do the best you can and dont beat yourself up for not wanting to hit the gym everytime..the schedule seems so opposite of what your body wants

I am an emt in a very busy system and know what you go through cause I work graves as well. I dont have too much advice cause Im suffering with same problem. What kind of weekly schedule do you work 4,3 12 hrs shifts?

Im a career firefighter in a busy city. We work 4 days on and 4 days off. Our work schedule looks like this... two day works from 7am-5pm and two night works from 5pm-7am. After the night work go back to the firehouse and put your gym clothes on and go hit the gym, after the gym head home and get some sleep. And i dont know if you guys have a firehouse that you run out of but if you do does it have a gym?? We have an awesome firehouse gym.

Medic08,

I worked the "graveyard" shift for a while because the
college classes I wanted to take were not available at
night, only during the day, so I swapped shifts with a
guy (he them subsequently quit, and I was stick on there
for a while . . .) to get that done.

Here is what I did and it worked for me. The first thing
I did when I got off work was go to the gym. No stopping
for gas, no shot with the guys, no errands, nada. No
excuses, straight to the gym, every Monday, Wed, and Fri.
Once that was out of the way I treated myself to breakfast.
Then I went home and slept if I did not have to go to
school.

Don't know how many days you are training but I do know
what your job is like (I once worked with you guys, I was
a EMT) and it's crazy hours, hard, stress filled work
when you are on call, so you might want to back off on
your training, due the minimum, until you get acclimatized,
have more energy, and look forward to going to the gym.

Don't fall into the habit of taking stimulants to get what
you need to get accomplished. That road leads nowhere,
saw many guys lives destroyed doing that, just for an
extra 15% pay. And don't drink to go to sleep. Just try
your hardest to adapt, it's not easy I know, but you can do
it. It's just a different routine that's all. Some people love
that shift, gives them all day to do things while most people
are working and not in your way, which in my case got me
into a bunch of trouble. Don't ask ;)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for excellent post.... The reason I was asking for help is because I don't want to be dependent on stimulants to get me going... I think what I'll start doing is going to the gym straight from work like you suggested. I already had that idea in my head, so I guess thats what I need to do. Thanks again.

I use to work 24 on 48 off and I was able to handle that schedule better, but the 12 hour rotation fits in better for school. I work for an ambulance service in a very busy county. We run approx 50-60,000 911 calls a year so you get the idea. We don't get a station to post out of. We just sit in the truck all night when we aren't running calls. My schedule is one week I'll work 4 days and the next I'll work 3..... I.e. On fri, sat, sun, off mon, tues, on weds, thurs, off fri, sat, sun... Then it's the complete oposite the next week.

I use to work 24 on 48 off and I was able to handle that schedule better, but the 12 hour rotation fits in better for school. I work for an ambulance service in a very busy county. We run approx 50-60,000 911 calls a year so you get the idea. We don't get a station to post out of. We just sit in the truck all night when we aren't running calls. My schedule is one week I'll work 4 days and the next I'll work 3..... I.e. On fri, sat, sun, off mon, tues, on weds, thurs, off fri, sat, sun... Then it's the complete oposite the next week.

Oh the medics in our department are all stationed with an engine or ladder so they are part of the firehouse, but our medics are part of the department, im guessing you guys arnt part of the fire department.. Yeah i would just hit the gym right after work bro.

Man i have been working 12 hour nights for a little over 6 years now and will probably be on them for another year,i suppose all i can say adapt the best that you can,it might be a little easier for me as i have no chilren so if im working night thats the way i live,what i mean is when im off i can very well be up all night and just sleep till 12 or 1,if i tried to flip flop around like some peeps i would not make it,i have a cycle where i sleep real good for a couple weeks or so then for a couple weeks i sleep like crap,i went to sleep this am about 0600,woke up approx every hour then about 10am i just said f it and got up,went and did abs and cardio,i could not go to gym after work i am to tired,so if i have a workout that falls on a work day which is only once a week i wake up about 2 hours early and go handle business.

I feel you brother! I'm an ICU RN working 7p-7a. I work 4 shifts a wk. I'm frkn tired all the time! I do most of my workouts right after getting off work. I'm half-asleep but I get it done. I've learned to really 'listen to my body' & adjust my workouts accordingly. Don't follow a set schedule or routine, I just do what my body can handle that particular day making sure each muscle-group gets worked at least once a wk, It ain't ideal but it's still better than nothing. I try to eat and/or drink my shakes at least 3 times while at work. On my off days I try to get a couple hrs extra sleep.

Oh the medics in our department are all stationed with an engine or ladder so they are part of the firehouse, but our medics are part of the department, im guessing you guys arnt part of the fire department.. Yeah i would just hit the gym right after work bro.

Yea I work for a private ambulance service. The county I work in has their own fire dept that doesn't transport. They are emt or paramedic certified, but we do all the transports. After work it is! I should be able to get some good sleep after my routine though.

I work a lot of hours too, and I have given up so much sleep in my life to hit the gym. Workout days or nights that fall on work days I'm lucky to get 6 hours sleep. 5 of those hourse being quality sleep, too! Now that I've been getting a lot stronger my recovery has taken a huge shit, due to the lack of rest.

Yea I work for a private ambulance service. The county I work in has their own fire dept that doesn't transport. They are emt or paramedic certified, but we do all the transports. After work it is! I should be able to get some good sleep after my routine though.

Got ya, Try working out right after work and let us know how it goes.

Totally agree with Alfresco

I too did the graveyard shift for years...

I had to go straight from work to the gym, if I went home first, I would fall asleep and miss out.

Working out right after the night shift also helps you get better sleep as well!

I too did the graveyard shift for years...

I had to go straight from work to the gym, if I went home first, I would fall asleep and miss out.

Working out right after the night shift also helps you get better sleep as well!

Yeah it deff helps you sleep deeper/better.

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner