over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Workout Partner Advice

littlelouie

Registered
Hey all I have been working out for the past two years by myself and it is fine but I used to have workout partners in the past for many of my years and made much better gains this way. Had a few partners that were great and fun to lift with and hang and some that just plain sucked ass so I had to let them go, basically fire there weak asses. My question is about getting a new workout partner. How do i go about this? None of my friends workout really and if they do they just lift to stay fit and not body build like myself. There are a few bigger guys at my gym that I would love to workout with but it seems like every big guy in the gym has a chip on his shoulder and eye other big guys up when they walk past them. I feel like I am in high school sometimes.

How should I approach them or is there a better way? I am thinking of hanging an ad on the bulletin board or mayeb asking the trainers if they know of anyone? And if I do find someone do I basically interview them abotu what i want and schedule and shit?

I am a 30 year old man so just approaching someone is not my thing anymore. Any advice is appreciated. Maybe someone else ahs done this beofre.

I would like a regular partner too, but finding one who has similar goals, training program, and schedule is tough. Of course I really want a partner who is more advanced than I am so that I'm more motivated and can pick their brains! (Nothing like having a free personal trainer.) As it is now, I'll often ask someone for a spot, which is all you really need from a partner, but sometimes I'll ask someone working the same bodypart if they want to work together. At least there's a partner for a day, and maybe it will evolve into more. Bodybuilding is an individual sport and sometimes I think bodybuilders, rather than having a chip on their shoulders, are loners by nature. Am I off base on this?

SDMan said:
I would like a regular partner too, but finding one who has similar goals, training program, and schedule is tough. Of course I really want a partner who is more advanced than I am so that I'm more motivated and can pick their brains! (Nothing like having a free personal trainer.) As it is now, I'll often ask someone for a spot, which is all you really need from a partner, but sometimes I'll ask someone working the same bodypart if they want to work together. At least there's a partner for a day, and maybe it will evolve into more. Bodybuilding is an individual sport and sometimes I think bodybuilders are loners by nature. Am I off base on this?

No I think you hit it on the head bro. It is an alpha male thing.

Hey you don't live in PA do you, LOL

Man, a partner is as important to me as AAS.
An ad cant hurt. But almost always it just comes
naturally. You start chatting in the gym. Ask for or give
spots to bros. Pretty soon youre asking 'are you in tomorrow'?
Then you meet again. You can coordinate schedules - bodyparts
after that. I (probably not a good thing) have no good friends who
dont train. Except old friends from the past.

MikeS said:
Man, a partner is as important to me as AAS.
An ad cant hurt. But almost always it just comes
naturally. You start chatting in the gym. Ask for or give
spots to bros. Pretty soon youre asking 'are you in tomorrow'?
Then you meet again. You can coordinate schedules - bodyparts
after that. I (probably not a good thing) have no good friends who
dont train. Except old friends from the past.

Yeah I have been talking more than I usually do but not anyone that I would want to train with. At 5'11 and 220-230 I am one of the bigger guys in my gym pound for pound, much bigger guys but they are 6'3" 250 or even a guy who is 6'5" and about 270. I feel personally I look better than them because I am prportioned much better, they have the egg on toothpick look if you know what I mean. Big as hell up top with no legs at all, they look like fools IMO......

I think I am gonna try that bro, just talk and ask fo rspots or just even say wassup, get the converstaion started and see what happens. The big problem is all th ebigger guys including myself all have MP3 players on at all times, makes it tough ya know!

littlelouie said:
No I think you hit it on the head bro. It is an alpha male thing.

Hey you don't live in PA do you, LOL

Hey, I wish, but if you or anyone is in San Diego and looking for a good partner, let me know.

SDMan said:
Hey, I wish, but if you or anyone is in San Diego and looking for a good partner, let me know.

Ok I will be your training partner but you have to meet me here, LOL!!!

I don't know man, this whole thing seems too much like a mating ritual to me.

"Will ya give me a spot?"

"Sure"

"What are ya workin' today?"

"Legs."

"Me too, wanna work together?"

"Of course I do, silly!! Now wrap your arms around me and hold me firmly while I squat."

"Hey, what's that poking me in the ass?"

"I'm just really happy to have a partner;) "

BigBoyJ said:

"Sure"

"Legs."

"Of course I do, silly!! Now wrap your arms around me and hold me firmly while I squat."

Good point bro, ok that is out!

BBJ man you are something...:p

MikeS said:
BBJ man you are something...:p

Will ya give me a spot, you strong, bald, goatee wearing, mountain of man muscle?

BigBoyJ said:

"Sure"

"Legs."

LMFAO......

~Pinnacle~

Ok I went in on friday to hit legs and a guy I talk to a lot of the time just saying hi and shit came up to me and asked if I was in tomorrow because he wanted to go heavy on his bench for a meet he has and if I wanted to workout with him. So I took him up on it and it seemed to work out ok. Working out again with him on Tuesday so I guess I will see how it goes. No ghey courtship needed, thank god!

littlelouie said:
Ok I went in on friday to hit legs and a guy I talk to a lot of the time just saying hi and shit came up to me and asked if I was in tomorrow because he wanted to go heavy on his bench for a meet he has and if I wanted to workout with him. So I took him up on it and it seemed to work out ok. Working out again with him on Tuesday so I guess I will see how it goes. No ghey courtship needed, thank god!

That's great to hear. Just remember to take it slow. Don't call him the next day or anything. Let him know you're interested, but don't seem obsessed. Be there when he needs you, but don't be needy. He was brave enough to make the first move. Now it's up to you to let him feel that he made the right decision. This could be the beginning of something beautiful for you two. I wish you both the best.

:D

BigBoyJ said:
That's great to hear. Just remember to take it slow. Don't call him the next day or anything. Let him know you're interested, but don't seem obsessed. Be there when he needs you, but don't be needy. He was brave enough to make the first move. Now it's up to you to let him feel that he made the right decision. This could be the beginning of something beautiful for you two. I wish you both the best.

:D

LMAO!!!

Yeah I was trying to word it in the least ghey way I could. Guess I failed!!!

littlelouie said:
LMAO!!!

Yeah I was trying to word it in the least ghey way I could. Guess I failed!!!

Don't worry, man. I'm a professional asshole. There's no escaping me. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it though. Some people just throw a fit like a crazy whore when I mess with 'em. You're a good dude.

|--[\\\]>------- You got a girl? I dont lift with a partner, my gf spots me. we both wear ipods and she just knows when i need her help and when i dont. She doesnt compete or anything, just likes to stay in shape so our intensity of the w/o is dif. BUT i taught her how to spot properly and she does it...no need to bother other ppl, and she's always there. I have worked out w/ partners in the past and they were good, but personally, i like working out on my own now. I have been lucky, most of my partners in the past approached me about working out with them...it's nice to feel wanted...LOL

BigBoyJ said:
Don't worry, man. I'm a professional asshole. There's no escaping me. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it though. Some people just throw a fit like a crazy whore when I mess with 'em. You're a good dude.

:D your'e still an ass bro but you are ok in my book.

bigbadasian said:
|--[\\\]>------- You got a girl? I dont lift with a partner, my gf spots me. we both wear ipods and she just knows when i need her help and when i dont. She doesnt compete or anything, just likes to stay in shape so our intensity of the w/o is dif. BUT i taught her how to spot properly and she does it...no need to bother other ppl, and she's always there. I have worked out w/ partners in the past and they were good, but personally, i like working out on my own now. I have been lucky, most of my partners in the past approached me about working out with them...it's nice to feel wanted...LOL

I would love that bro but my wife is 7 months pregnant with twins so she can barely put her socks on much less give me a spot. I could see her smothering me on flat bench with the belly, LOL.......

I agree bro I love working out alone and not having to worry about anyone but me but I miss going heavy on flat or presses. I push it and try to go as heavy as possible but have almost paid the price a few tiems too. I wont go over 300 on flat anymore without a spot, I know I can handle it but why push it.

Another thing is motivation is a huge part of it. Lately i have been doing so much at hoem getting ready for the babies that I have been putting off the gym and if I have a set tiem to meet at the gym I iwll go, I hate to skip out on my partner, that shit sucks when it happens to me so I wont do it.

littlelouie said:
I would love that bro but my wife is 7 months pregnant with twins so she can barely put her socks on much less give me a spot. I could see her smothering me on flat bench with the belly, LOL.......

I agree bro I love working out alone and not having to worry about anyone but me but I miss going heavy on flat or presses. I push it and try to go as heavy as possible but have almost paid the price a few tiems too. I wont go over 300 on flat anymore without a spot, I know I can handle it but why push it.

Another thing is motivation is a huge part of it. Lately i have been doing so much at hoem getting ready for the babies that I have been putting off the gym and if I have a set tiem to meet at the gym I iwll go, I hate to skip out on my partner, that shit sucks when it happens to me so I wont do it.

|--[\\\]>------- Totally off the subj. now, but congrats on the babies to come and may they both be healthy!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws