over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Workout Routine

blueboykennels

Newbies
Okay I just read Big A's Growth principles for beginners which was a great read and answered a lot of questions but didn't address my particular question. I've also searched this forum over 2 hours and really can't find a specific answer to my question, which I'm sure has been asked before and beat to death....maybe the reason I can't find an answer is because there is no real answer as everyone responds differently. I was talking to a friend of mine last night about how I've been working out for 2 years and although I've made some gains I still don't feel I'm as far along as I should be (I should mention I'm natural). He has been working out for over a decade and it shows he's much bigger than me. After talking about my routine he thinks thats the problem..... my current routine is as follows. 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday....and also doing low intesity cardio on the off days (3 of the off days, Tues. Thurs, Sat.)

Monday- Chest and Triceps....5 exercises per muscle group 3 sets of 10 per exercise

Wednesday- Back and Biceps....again 5 exercises per muscle group 3 sets of 10 per exercise

Friday- Legs and Shoulders...5 exercises per muscle group 3 sets of 10 per exercise

So in all I'm doing 10 exercises per workout day.

He suggested that I'm training wrong... that the norm is 5 days a week Monday through Friday one body part or muscle group per exercise per day. He also mentioned doing arms as one exercise so working the triceps and biceps together. I've always understood to NOT do biceps and triceps together because you want to keep your push/pull exercises apart from each other. I asked him if this would be considered over training and he said no because of the 2 days off at the end of the week. I thought it was bad to train 2 days in a row, and Big A's write up says just that.

Lastly for those of you that have used Big A's method did it work for you? I know it's clear it worked for Big A.....If I'm reading it right he suggest after the warm up set you just do one set of 8 to fail for each exercise with only a hand full of exercises? Did I read that right? Am I over training? Looks like I'm doing to much compared to his way but not enough compared to my friends way...where's the happy median. I understand Big A is an IFBB Pro and I'm not questioning him...the man knows his shit and has my respect. My friend is not an IFBB pro but does have a good build and has made great gains and has held them for years so he's not a NEWB or idiot either. Maybe I should just hire Phil if he's still doing personal training (it's be a while since I've been on here) Hopefully some of the veterans will chime in or maybe even the man himelf and address some of these questions. Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it has to be...but after 2 years with only minimal gains it's time for some answers and help. Thanks to all whom reply.

I follow the big a routine and its very good. Due to the fact i work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts i have to workout on two consecutive days when im on earlys the following week but seem to get away with it. 8 reps is not set in stone. If your going for 8 but have one more in ya then you do it, you go to failure. The routine suits me as ive always had that mentality of not putting the bar back if there's a slim chance ill get one more. You have to be able to dig deep and employ some mental tricks for this routine to work. Some people just don't have the intensity to pull it of. Not saying thats you just that the routine is not for everyone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I follow the big a routine and its very good. Due to the fact i work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts i have to workout on two consecutive days when im on earlys the following week but seem to get away with it. 8 reps is not set in stone. If your going for 8 but have one more in ya then you do it, you go to failure. The routine suits me as ive always had that mentality of not putting the bar back if there's a slim chance ill get one more. You have to be able to dig deep and employ some mental tricks for this routine to work. Some people just don't have the intensity to pull it of. Not saying thats you just that the routine is not for everyone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. So you go to fail that makes sense, but are you only doing one set per exercise after the initial warm up. Lets say your working out chest and you're going to do flat, incline, decline, DB flys would you do your set of warm ups for flat bench then do your 1 set of 8 or either fail then move one to the next. So for incline you've already done warm ups on flat so would you just do your 1 set of 8 or fail then move on to decline and so on and so forth? Seems like you would be done working out chest in under 15 minutes?

personaly i trained for well over a year with the one body part a day theroy just to feel like you do now overworked and not near the gains you feel you should have. i switched to a work out much similar to the way big A describes in "growth principles" and had a huge inpact on my overall gains. i feel like you are over working each muscle group as you can only hit 100% falure and everything else is overtraining... i sugest you look into a workout called DC training and remeber the ideal is not to get as big as some guy you know its to get bigger than everyone you know

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws