over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

World's Strongest Family on TLC April 10th

Wesley Inman

Banned
This show airs tommorrow night at 10:30 pm on TLC Channel and again at 12:00 am or midnight on April 11th.

The show is about the Marunde/Best family...

As many of you know, Jesse Marunde a Worlds Strongest Man Competitor who passed away several years ago during his workout had a little girl just before he passed, named JJ, or Jessica Joy. She's not so little anymore. She's 5 now and deadlifts 100lbs+.

Callie who was Jesse's wife, has since re-married Nick Best, another Worlds Strongest Man Competitor. He has adopted JJ and helped raise her.

This is one of the most solid families you will ever meet. I personally have to thank Jesse Marunde for my start in Strongman and consider Callie and Nick personal friends. They really are just amazing people.

Check this show out if you guys have a chance :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EAkqiDF4wCY"]The Strongest Family in the World | My Crazy Obsession - YouTube[/ame]

I'll have to record the show so I can watch it.
I used to watch Jesse compete on tv. Glad to see his family was able to move on with there lives after there loss.

Although it's extremely impressive from a strength point of view, i'm always amazed when people can't let their kids grow a little bit before pushing them into heavy strength training.

How well formed is a 5 year old girl's spinal column? Should she be deadlifting over 100lb's at that age?

I didn't let my son start lifting until he was 14 years old.
I think he needed to work on growing up, an not growing bigger.
It was my personal choice with my child. I won't tell somebody else when the right time to start training is.

Although it's extremely impressive from a strength point of view, i'm always amazed when people can't let their kids grow a little bit before pushing them into heavy strength training.

How well formed is a 5 year old girl's spinal column? Should she be deadlifting over 100lb's at that age?

I know them personally and I can tell you they are not pushed into anything at all..These kids love training. Their father is Jesse Marunde and mother is Callie Marunde who is also a pro strongman...now they have Big Nick as an adopted father and a wonderful one at that. Trust me when I tell you these kids choose to do everything they do. They are given more love then most kids will ever get and they are encouraged to participate in what they love to do.

My daughter is a few months younger then JJ and she can pickup 90lbs. She doesn't "train" per say, but once in awhile she will do workout with me, as she often is at the gym or at Worlds Strongest Man venues. It is different when you grow up around it, they wanna try it. My daughter also started Horseback riding at 3..while others said it was too young, it was what she wanted. I in fact didn't want her to do it, because I was nervous for her to be injured..and it was insanely expensive. Thankfully at 4 she switched to another sport.

I started lifting at 9 years old...and I am a better athlete because of it.

Last edited:
I didn't let my son start lifting until he was 14 years old.
I think he needed to work on growing up, an not growing bigger.
It was my personal choice with my child. I won't tell somebody else when the right time to start training is.

I think this was very wise of you.

Jesse used to post here if I remember correctly. I let my son start lifting when he wanted to and that was at 10yrs old.

I know them personally and I can tell you they are not pushed into anything at all..These kids love training. Their father is Jesse Marunde and mother is Callie Marunde who is also a pro strongman. Trust me when I tell you these kids choose to do everything they do.

My daughter is a few months younger then JJ and she can pickup 90lbs. She doesn't "train" per say, but once in awhile she will do workout with me, as she often is at the gym or at Worlds Strongest Man venues. It is different when you grow up around it, they wanna try it.

I started at 9 years old...and I am a better athlete because of it.

I fully agree with you about training when young, I fully advocate it. I'm just looking at it from a developmental standpoint. I had all my kids lifting weights from a young age, light weights... we never let them to try a 1 rep max. So they got their form correct and it also gave their developing muscles a good workout. They have all grown into robust powerful adults and I think that their grounding when they were young had a good deal to do with it.

But i've always believed powerlifting style training at an extremely young age was too much. Their bones and tendons are taking the brunt of that style of training, not their muscles. I prefer the cumulative approach, lots of light training... especially at 5 years old.

I started lifting at 8 years old. My dad wrote out a plan for me, all 20 rep stuff. It gave me a head start over all the other kids. But powerlifting is very different from lifting for reps.

So we think alike... my only real issue is with the extreme lifting as soon as the kids have learned how to walk.

Last edited:
I fully agree with you about training when young, I fully advocate it. I'm just looking at it from a developmental standpoint. I had all my kids lifting weights from a young age, light weights... we never let them to try a 1 rep max. So they got their form correct and it also gave their developing muscles a good workout. They have all grown into robust powerful adults and I think that their grounding when they were young had a good deal to do with it.

But i've always believed powerlifting style training at an extremely young age, was too much. Their bones and tendons are taking the brunt of that style of training, not their muscles. I prefer the cumulative approach, lots of light training... especially at 5 years old.

I started lifting at 8 years old. My dad wrote out a plan for me, all 20 rep stuff. It gave me a head start over all the other kids. But powerlifting is very different from lifting for reps.

So we think alike... my only real issue is with the extreme lifting as soon as the kids have learned how to walk.

You are smart to be cautious :)

What I know, is my parents were awesome with me. I started skateboarding and surfing at 3 years old. All sports at 4, football, baseball, track, etc... I broke my arm at 9,and the doctor requested I start lifting weights to strengthen it...the rest is history. Pound for pound I was always stronger and faster then everyone growing up and I still am, and I truly believe it was because I had been weight training since I was a kid. My mom was 5'1 and dad 5'5". I am 5'7". I am a giant compared to my family who are all 5'1 and smaller.

So I don't know how much weight the "developmental" idea holds. What I do know is that I will do whatever makes my daughter happy. She has done horseback riding, swimming, dance, gymnastics, ballet, music and she started tee ball last week...financially it is a disaster for me..she is happy though. She hasn't tied down what she wants to do...but when she does, I will be there to support her 1000%.

I don't want her maxing out in the gym, but if she seriously begged me to weight train a few days per week I'd let her. She already sips my protein shakes regularly and is health conscious. I see it as a positive. Maybe I am looking at it unusually?? Not sure but we are a very happy family:love:

Last edited:
You are smart to be cautious :)

What I know, is my parents were awesome with me. I started skateboarding and surfing at 3 years old. All sports at 4, football, baseball, track, etc... I broke my arm at 9,and the doctor requested I start lifting weights to strengthen it...the rest is history. Pound for pound I was always stronger and faster then everyone growing up and I still am, and I truly believe it was because I had been weight training since I was a kid. My mom was 5'1 and dad 5'5". I am 5'7". I am a giant compared to my family who are all 5'1 and smaller.

So I don't know how much weight the "developmental" idea holds. What I do know is that I will do whatever makes my daughter happy. She has done horseback riding, swimming, dance, gymnastics, ballet, music and she started tee ball last week...financially it is a disaster for me..she is happy though. She hasn't tied down what she wants to do...but when she does, I will be there to support her 1000%.

I don't want her maxing out in the gym, but if she seriously begged me to weight train a few days per week I'd let her. She already sips my protein shakes regularly and is health conscious. I see it as a positive. Maybe I am looking at it unusually?? Not sure but we are a very happy family:love:

I wasn't really meaning 'developmental' in regards to height. I was thinking more of possible structural anomolies that may occur and create issues down the road. It happens to adults who 'max out' on lifts, so it can happen to 5 years olds too. I'm just a cautious dad really...

I totally agree with you on the height thing. Having started lifting at 8, I became the tallest member of my family until my boys grew up... and they lifted even earlier than I did. It's a myth that lifting early stunts growth.

It's a great thing you're doing with your daughter! My kids were raised on healthy bodybuilding style food and protein shakes and they've always been healthy, hardly ever needed a doctor, and never suffered from obesity (unlike 90% of their friends).

Get that boy a belt. Did you guys no see bad his back looked. He's going to end up having back problems..

without opening the video, how did i know the mom was going to be a blonde hottie? :D

I want a garage like theirs!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I personally am excited to see this! Maybe I am a dork but I watch everything lifting related that comes out on TV..I was even excited to see True Life: MTV: I'm on steroids..and that was kind of a joke, but I still enjoyed the content.

did the narrator really say "training their bodies up to 240 hours each week?"
Yeah they have no control over that BS...Unfortunately they try to talk it up like anything else. I know Callie and Nick probably train 2 hours per day..and Strongman Event days can turn into 8+ hours day, I can vouch for that. Maybe 100+ hours per week for the family is more realistic..but that doesn't sound as good as 240 LOL:headbang:

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I personally am excited to see this! Maybe I am a dork but I watch everything lifting related that comes out on TV..I was even excited to see True Life: MTV: I'm on steroids..and that was kind of a joke, but I still enjoyed the content.

Yeah they have no control over that BS...Unfortunately they try to talk it up like anything else. I know Callie and Nick probably train 2 hours per day..and Strongman Event days can turn into 8+ hours day, I can vouch for that. Maybe 100+ hours per week for the family is more realistic..but that doesn't sound as good as 240 LOL:headbang:

especially since there are only 168 hours in a week..:rolleyes:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner