over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Wraps when knee injuy

Love_to_Bodybuild

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hey ,

Injured my knee in september 2017. Rehabbed it, did physical therapy. In february started upping weight and was fine. Last week went all out on one set hack squats 3 plates and 10 all the way to ground =12 x's. hurt all week, trouble moving it without pain

did legs two nights ago had to go light one plate on hack , two hurt too bad

Asked a powerlifter whos nationally ranked. his best squat is 800 something , hes 56 now, and he said wear tight wraps untill it gets better to support it

I always thought if you wear wraps it wont get stronger and I did my rehab last six months without wraps

what do you think wraps when knee is injured is okay?

Always always always wear protection ;)

I struggle with bad knees and I always wear knee sleeves. These almost always stop any pain occurring. I use BPC157 Sometimes also directly into the knee and this seems to help.

I think knee wraps - not sleeves, but powerlifter-style wraps - are a good idea whether you're injured or not. I've had so many older guys tell me they wish they's used more supportive / protective gear when they were younger because their bodies ended up so torn up. I always use knee wraps, Slingshot, etc., on my heaviest sets because I want to do this forever and not get injured, and so far it's worked.

Unless you're competing in something that doesn't allow supportive gear in competition, I see no reason not to use it in regular training, particularly when you already have a body part giving you trouble.

Time heals. I was world ranked as a teen. You have to choose quality of life over quantity of weight. Take a little time off and do some rehab work your learned for a few weeks and slowly get back into it. If you don't, when you're 55 you could have trouble walking or even picking up a penny.

I'm missing part of my left quad due to a motorcycle accident when i was a teen. I'm 54 now, and i use wraps when i get to even moderate weight. My knees feel fine, but after all of the shoulder problems I've had knee problems are the last thing I want.

For me i stay away from hack squats, not sure if its the angle of the platform or what, but that movement kills my knees. I rarely wear wraps, and if i do it's for 1 set at my highest poundage used. My rehband knee sleeves, wear em every single leg workout. I feel supported enough. If i had a nagging knee injury like that, i wouldn't want to risk having to wear knee sleeves just to get thru the workout.

The hack machine absolutely murders my knees. Completely pointless exercise.

I think knee wraps - not sleeves, but powerlifter-style wraps - are a good idea whether you're injured or not. I've had so many older guys tell me they wish they's used more supportive / protective gear when they were younger because their bodies ended up so torn up. I always use knee wraps, Slingshot, etc., on my heaviest sets because I want to do this forever and not get injured, and so far it's worked.

Unless you're competing in something that doesn't allow supportive gear in competition, I see no reason not to use it in regular training, particularly when you already have a body part giving you trouble.

I used to use them like 16 years ago when I would do 375, 405 lb squats. Now I dont really do squats much anymore and if I do its lighter like 225 or maybe 275. Last time I did 275 ass to ground was 14-12x's but if you have long femure bones, leg press and hack squats work better

Time heals. I was world ranked as a teen. You have to choose quality of life over quantity of weight. Take a little time off and do some rehab work your learned for a few weeks and slowly get back into it. If you don't, when you're 55 you could have trouble walking or even picking up a penny.

I just did 4 months of rehab work, then 5th month slowly upped the weights, now month 6 start from scratch again ..yes if it hurts I stop it

What is the original injury?

Its my kneecap. Not sure if patellar. Went to ortho he wouldnt recommend an MRI . He did approve physical therapy which my insurance covered and now since I went to complete failure one time its injured all over again, ive started physical therapy exercises again on my own. Doing them at least three days a week

For me i stay away from hack squats, not sure if its the angle of the platform or what, but that movement kills my knees. I rarely wear wraps, and if i do it's for 1 set at my highest poundage used. My rehband knee sleeves, wear em every single leg workout. I feel supported enough. If i had a nagging knee injury like that, i wouldn't want to risk having to wear knee sleeves just to get thru the workout.

Yeah im not a fan of knee wraps either bc my legs have been big a long time. That said its something I can try until the injury gets better

The hack machine absolutely murders my knees. Completely pointless exercise.

t depends on the machine My last hack squat machine I used was a bad one, used it for ten years , finally got up to five plates per side for 10-12 reps with force negatives with a spotter helping me on the positive, got injured.

Switched gyms, this new hack squat is nice and smooth, just about everything I do from bending my knee up, to leg extension to leg press with any weight has been hurting

also whats crazy is deadlifts dont seem to hurt my knees, yesterday I tried deadlifts and I can bend down a little bit, I didnt try bending my knees down all the way mind you, and bending down a bit more to focus on the quads, and got some quad stimulation out of it.

To OP:
You mentioned your Ortho wouldn't recommend an MRI ~ Never Heard of such Nonsense, unless the Guy has X-ray Vision.
Find another Doctor, and get that MRI done.
If not, you don't know if you are making things worse or not................ JP
P.S.
I use to use Wraps when I was a Powerlifter, now that I'm older I use Sleeves, as I have a Torn Meniscus, so it give's me the support I need.

Are you a narrow or wide squatter?

Both example a few workouts ago I did wide stance smith squats, then narrow stance hack squats. Ive also done wide stance leg press and medium stance hacks. Those wide stance are important to hit adductor muscles

To OP:
You mentioned your Ortho wouldn't recommend an MRI ~ Never Heard of such Nonsense, unless the Guy has X-ray Vision.
Find another Doctor, and get that MRI done.
If not, you don't know if you are making things worse or not................ JP
P.S.
I use to use Wraps when I was a Powerlifter, now that I'm older I use Sleeves, as I have a Torn Meniscus, so it give's me the support I need.

Can you find a picture of the sleeve you use?

Ive used slip on looser ace bandage when I go heavier for me on legs, for a long time.

I always wrapped if I was going to do reps less than 15. You can wrap them not as tight, that's what I used to do. Then go tighter the heavier you go.

I always wrapped if I was going to do reps less than 15. You can wrap them not as tight, that's what I used to do. Then go tighter the heavier you go.

I can give it a try

again i always taught wraps dont make the tendon stronger and make it weaker. That said, while injured ill give it a try. Leg day tomorrow . hopefully I can stimulate something worth while to keep my leg size and better yet new growth, thats pushing it though bc I have some physical therapy to do next 3 months, then I have to slowly up things each workout.

I made the mistake of doing 315 for 7 reps on hacks to doing 325 for 12 the next workout. I thought my knee could handle it. Feet at the bottom as well which puts much more stress on the quad and patella tendon

Chris Cormier hurt his leg and started doing higher reps and got growth put of it he said

I can give it a try

again i always taught wraps dont make the tendon stronger and make it weaker. That said, while injured ill give it a try. Leg day tomorrow . hopefully I can stimulate something worth while to keep my leg size and better yet new growth, thats pushing it though bc I have some physical therapy to do next 3 months, then I have to slowly up things each workout.

I made the mistake of doing 315 for 7 reps on hacks to doing 325 for 12 the next workout. I thought my knee could handle it. Feet at the bottom as well which puts much more stress on the quad and patella tendon

Chris Cormier hurt his leg and started doing higher reps and got growth put of it he said
I was never a big fan of doing hack squats unless it was for higher reps and then I would place my feet farther out. Putting feet to low down does put a lot of stress on that patellar ligament and tendon. Doing that is similar to doing a sissy squat and I wouldn't go less than 20 reps on that. I pretty much stayed away from hack squats and mostly did regular squats.

Built plenty of strength doing just squats and some leg presses with extensions to finish it off. Be careful because if you develop tendonitis or worse tendonosis you will be out of it for a long time. Once tendonosis sets in then you have to really pretty much rest it for a long time otherwise youll continue to irritate it and it will always be sore. I had it from time to time.

IMO you should always wrap when going heavy. The knee still becomes strong. I used to be able to do over 500 lb squats with no knee pain. I like Inzer wraps and belts.
**broken link removed**

They have even better wraps available now too I see, I don't think they had those back when I was lifting.**broken link removed**

I wrap me knees HARD.I cinch them very tight!

I was never a big fan of doing hack squats unless it was for higher reps and then I would place my feet farther out. Putting feet to low down does put a lot of stress on that patellar ligament and tendon. Doing that is similar to doing a sissy squat and I wouldn't go less than 20 reps on that. I pretty much stayed away from hack squats and mostly did regular squats.

Built plenty of strength doing just squats and some leg presses with extensions to finish it off. Be careful because if you develop tendonitis or worse tendonosis you will be out of it for a long time. Once tendonosis sets in then you have to really pretty much rest it for a long time otherwise youll continue to irritate it and it will always be sore. I had it from time to time.

IMO you should always wrap when going heavy. The knee still becomes strong. I used to be able to do over 500 lb squats with no knee pain. I like Inzer wraps and belts.
**broken link removed**

They have even better wraps available now too I see, I don't think they had those back when I was lifting.**broken link removed**

Yup i had Inzer wraps since 2002. I used to use them on heavy squats. Ill try them and see how they feel tomorrow :) The second I feel pain new exercise, obviously nothing that causes pain. Thank you

I gotta disagree with a lot of the answers here.

First off, any machine (for example hack squats) that restricts your movement to a straight lifting path is unnatural for your body and can increase the risk of injury. The free bar squat lets your body lift the weight in a natural motion and if you look at it from the side you will see that the lift is not done straight up, there is a curved path, just like in free bar benching.

Secondly; wrapping your knees tight will force your lifting pattern to change to a more upright position. This can in turn change the contribution of the muscles helping you in the lift and in turn weaken them and thus leading to pain/injury together with the obvious strain on the knee itself (pushing the knee cap into the thighbone) in a none natural movement pattern.

I would advise only using wraps when doing a top set. Sleeves in the other hand can be used more regularly.

Here is a study done on knee wraps on back squats:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22995993

Last edited:
I gotta disagree with a lot of the answers here.

First off, any machine (for example hack squats) that restricts your movement to a straight lifting path is unnatural for your body and can increase the risk of injury. The free bar squat lets your body lift the weight in a natural motion and if you look at it from the side you will see that the lift is not done straight up, there is a curved path, just like in free bar benching.

Secondly; wrapping your knees tight will force your lifting pattern to change to a more upright position. This can in turn change the contribution of the muscles helping you in the lift and in turn weaken them and thus leading to pain/injury together with the obvious strain on the knee itself (pushing the knee cap into the thighbone) in a none natural movement pattern.

I would advise only using wraps when doing a top set. Sleeves in the other hand can be used more regularly.

Here is a study done on knee wraps on back squats:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22995993

Well the man that told me not to use knee wraps is Dorian Yates back in 2009 when I asked him, he said the tendons wont get stronger . This study says that

My is in a different context though,since im injured I can try knee sleeves, and see what it does, im staying open minded. If it doesnt work though, Im stopping bc I am under the thinking that wraps just support you like a spring, sur eyou can lift more weight but im after slow and controlled,= muscle tension. I usually wear a loose ace bandage wrap. Today is leg day, starting out with physical therapy first then try some light exercises and slowly work up in weight , see how it feels

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity