YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ya ever count calories and then realize....

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
Ya ever count your macros and realize why your too fat ? Well been happening to this guy.. I realized I was getting too much around the love handles and was very insulin resistant.. No pumps.. fat accumulation Round the middle.. so I decided that although I want all the muscle possible I don't want this much fat.. so I started actually counting carbs and other macros..

Usually I eat 3 times a day and a shake.. for the last week I've logged everything is eat.. from snaking in between meals to the meal content itself.. Well there's a reason why I'm insulin resistant and gaining Round the middle.. I'M A FRICKIN GLUTTON..!

my carbs are way out of line.. especially the simple carbs..my protein is always fairly low.. I'm doing good to get 130 grams a day.. and my fats are a bit too high for the amount of carbs I'm taking in.. I just ate what I wanted and tried to give protein some considerration..

So now I'm counting but its coming up much better now that I'm more aware.. I'm keeping carbs pretty low.. around 100 grams a day.. getting a bit more protein in and taking in more essential fats.. my workouts are low volume 3 to 4 times a week.. so my carbs will be the meal before and after.. after that the only carbs will be in the form of vegetables..

So in essence there was no wonder I was insulin sensitive and gaining Round the middle. My intake was very poor in regards to eating junk and wasted calories.. took a note book and some looking to bring that realization.. but i did love my bad carbs.. just didn't know how much..:banghead:

Yeah brother. I spent the first few years of my weightlifting adventure just guestimating most of what I was eating. I always did OK when it came to bulking, but put on more fat then I should, and always miserably failed when it came to cutting. It wasn't until I started counting every single calorie that I became 100% more efficient and started actually hitting my numbers when it came to weight loss. It's definitely UNDERRATED, as I talk to many guys at the gym who are in slightly above average shape spinning their wheels to make gains, they try so hard in the gym but fail so hard in the kitchen.

wasnt til i bought a scale that i ended up using for food that i realized just how much more i was eating than i thought.
spaghetti! a serving size aint what i thought it was. its really,really small. and i was eating 2-3 times more calories from that alone.
started weighing everything and boy was i surprised.
now i got everything eyeballed. but i was eating 4-500 cals more a day than i thought and i too wondered where these love handles came from

I don't typically count calories in the offseason--I still weigh / measure but have a baseline and then add as needed. But whenever I stall (even after training adjustments), I recalculate to make sure I'm nailing it. About 1/5 the time I'm missing a few hundred calories and start gaining again after a new baseline measurement--and then pay more attention after that and don't typically encounter the problem again.

MyFitnessPal is great for helping track calories and macros. When I'm bulking I just eat as much as I can, but when cutting it makes it much easier to track and see so that I can make sure I have enough cals to get me through the rest of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to buy:

- Scale
- Rice
- Chicken
- Tilapia

Cook a bunch of rice, tilapia and chicken. Put your scale in g. Weight 200g portions of each. Put tilapia/rice or chicken/rice in tupperwares. Add a bit of coconut oil and a veggie, like a carrot, broccoli or whatever. Keep many in fridge. Eat when hungry. Maybe add a green juice first thing in the morning.

I can't stomach chicken/rice in the morning, so I do eggs and cooked plantains with butter.

wasnt til i bought a scale that i ended up using for food that i realized just how much more i was eating than i thought.
spaghetti! a serving size aint what i thought it was. its really,really small. and i was eating 2-3 times more calories from that alone.
started weighing everything and boy was i surprised.
now i got everything eyeballed. but i was eating 4-500 cals more a day than i thought and i too wondered where these love handles came from

lol same here.

Ya ever count your macros and realize why your too fat ? Well been happening to this guy.. I realized I was getting too much around the love handles and was very insulin resistant.. No pumps.. fat accumulation Round the middle.. so I decided that although I want all the muscle possible I don't want this much fat.. so I started actually counting carbs and other macros..

Usually I eat 3 times a day and a shake.. for the last week I've logged everything is eat.. from snaking in between meals to the meal content itself.. Well there's a reason why I'm insulin resistant and gaining Round the middle.. I'M A FRICKIN GLUTTON..!

my carbs are way out of line.. especially the simple carbs..my protein is always fairly low.. I'm doing good to get 130 grams a day.. and my fats are a bit too high for the amount of carbs I'm taking in.. I just ate what I wanted and tried to give protein some considerration..

So now I'm counting but its coming up much better now that I'm more aware.. I'm keeping carbs pretty low.. around 100 grams a day.. getting a bit more protein in and taking in more essential fats.. my workouts are low volume 3 to 4 times a week.. so my carbs will be the meal before and after.. after that the only carbs will be in the form of vegetables..

So in essence there was no wonder I was insulin sensitive and gaining Round the middle. My intake was very poor in regards to eating junk and wasted calories.. took a note book and some looking to bring that realization.. but i did love my bad carbs.. just didn't know how much..:banghead:
It makes a huge difference. I know its A long read, but have a look at my thread I created today saying hello to everyone again.

Without being able to train ad I detailed in it, all I did was count and log my macros!

Of course I lost muscle from not weight lifting, but have a look at the pictures of myself that I posted.

I lost a fair amount of body fat doing really nothing but making sure I hit my macros and staying in a slight calorie deficit.

Really opened my eyes to just how important diet can be even though I thought I already knew all this!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

It makes a huge difference. I know its A long read, but have a look at my thread I created today saying hello to everyone again.

Without being able to train ad I detailed in it, all I did was count and log my macros!

Of course I lost muscle from not weight lifting, but have a look at the pictures of myself that I posted.

I lost a fair amount of body fat doing really nothing but making sure I hit my macros and staying in a slight calorie deficit.

Really opened my eyes to just how important diet can be even though I thought I already knew all this!

Yep I thought I was smarter than that.. but when you start looking at servingbsize and how much your actually taking in it's no wonder we have a bit of excess adipose

Yep I thought I was smarter than that.. but when you start looking at servingbsize and how much your actually taking in it's no wonder we have a bit of excess adipose

Another thing I found out is never trust the products serving size.

Take a pack of oats for example....they may say that 1 pack weighs 30 grams. I have opened plenty and weighed them, and get ranges from 27-33 grams.

Now I the grand scheme of things....no big deal. But to someone who is dialing it in pretty hard near the end of a prep....that kind of stuff can add up quickly.

Plus I know a lot of people who don't measure condiments. Most are a safe bet like mustard and some hot sauces (which is my weakness), but ketchup, salad dressings, etc can add up in sugar content really quick.

i do count them rough and realized that i ve had post work meals of 4000Kcal +4 lil boxes of 10 lil pieces of kolaches with raspberry, each box 1100Kcal, and then add protein shake, and have breakfasts of 1lb of coffee cake at rough 2000 calorie.....crazy, I don tcalculate clean meals tho - breasts, beef, rice, red potatoes, whole grain dark German bread, beans and those....

I have NEVER, I repeat NEVER weighed food or do I count calories. I can get lean simply by boosting protein and dropping Carbs and Fats slightly. I also eat healthy most of the year and stay lean. To get super lean, just add cardio for me. I think the key here to stay lean is eat good all year.

I never weigh food, just eat half of 1lb package of ground beef or turkey per meal and 3-4 pieces of ezekiel bread :D:D:D

I have never weighed food or counted calories but I would like to think I have a good understanding as all I do is read labels and of course listen to my body. But it's easily done so no harm there. I bet 80%+ of us on here are way off with what we think are daily calories are. Obviously weighing things and writing an eating journal is the most exact way to do things. If you don't do that you simply can't be exact if you never add things up and just randomly eat different things all the time.

I will tell you one thing I noticed that is sort of similar to what you have experienced. Although I knew the calories but the macro set up and I guess the amount was too high for my exact goals. All I mean is recently I have been dieting and I look much better on mod protein/carbs and low fat. But I figured do low carbs properly for a change. But I always have it in my head add a decent amount of fat as it's healthy. Nothing crazy but 100% it has slowed down my progress so even something as simple as taking away the fat serving pre bed for me after 5 days made a massive difference.

As Allex highlighted no one can really go wrong with lean protein, rice/sweet potatoe and veg/greens on the side. Have that sort of meal with balanced amounts through the day with some healthy fats for health. In the future I will basically be doing the same but adding shrimp as a protein source. For breakfast some whole eggs in coconut oil. Maybe some olive oil, half an avocado or even some nuts in the salad/greens and you have a solid meal plan.

I used to count and weight my food. After 2 weeks, i just eye ball it.

Estimating it.

I have NEVER, I repeat NEVER weighed food or do I count calories. I can get lean simply by boosting protein and dropping Carbs and Fats slightly. I also eat healthy most of the year and stay lean. To get super lean, just add cardio for me. I think the key here to stay lean is eat good all year.

I never count or weigh anymore either. Im very simple and enjoy really enjky eating the same types of foods and meals, so I know exactly what i getting each and everyday. I still get the variety and also fiber from veggies, but i take a multi vit. as insurance.

I never count or weigh anymore either. Im very simple and enjoy really enjky eating the same types of foods and meals, so I know exactly what i getting each and everyday. I still get the variety and also fiber from veggies, but i take a multi vit. as insurance.

I eat fruits and vegs., but also take 1 scoop of Macrolife greens and super reds per day.

I think for most people that's correct.. Just eat clean.. I wasn't.. At least not as I should have been.. So I decided for " shits and giggles" to log everything to see how bad it was.. It was a wake up lol.. I won't log stuff for long.. Just really clean up the diet and truly I dont need the carbs anywhere near the amounts I was taking.. Even a truly intense workout may burn 35 grams.. Brain function is around 50 grams although the brain can do just fine without carbs also.. So I'm going to try and keep carbs under 100 grams.. On days im not working out mainly relying on vegetable for carb source.. But I could really tell insulin sensitivity was out the door.. No pumps at all.. Flat..

my philosophy

I never count calories or weigh my food. For me and the few people I have
trained over the years, it is all about portion control.

All the food I ate to grow I still eat. I just don’t eat as much of it. Think
about it . . . why give up the food you ate to get big? So, I don’t give up
anything, I just eat less and less of it until I get the results I want. So . . .
you can have anything you want, you just can’t have everything.

The mirror is you friend. And the scale is like a Ouija board . . . it messes
with your head.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner