over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

You can Save someone's life : Stroke Identification

Dado5

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
A Friend whos a dr sent me this and asked me to share:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
During a party, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. (they offered to call ambulance)

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm , Ingrid passed away.)
She had suffered a stroke at the party . Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today.

Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead. It only takes a minute to read this...

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster.
The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions :

S * Ask the individual to SMILE ..
T * = TALK. Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (eg 'It is sunny out today').
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS .

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call the ambulance and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

NOTE : Another 'sign' of a stroke is
1. Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue.
2. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

Good awareness to send out, however the story is a bit vauge and doesn't scream stroke. Someone that's having a stroke won't just have a "little" symptom and then go about business as usual. Strokes don't resolve on their own and the symptoms won't just get better..... Now a TIA or "minni stroke" is another story and can be a warning sign for a true stroke to come. The gold standard is 3 hours or less, but there are new advancements in stroke medicine that allow to treat thromboletic stroke after 3 hours, even days after. Brain bleeds are a whole other story all together.

Thanks for sharing, good info!

Well, there are two types of strokes
Hemorrhagic and Thrombotic

People think of strokes primarily as Thrombotic which means there was a clot in the brain which deprived an area of the brain of blood, nutrients and oxygen. This is rapid onset, and is treated by administering clot busting medicines.

What I believe Dado is stating is a Hemorrhagic Stroke event. This is usually due to an injury to the head (fall) or high blood pressure with a preexisting aneurysm which is often exacerbated by the use of medicines like aspirin, coumadin, warfarin, plavix. etc. This is where a vessel ruptures. Now depending on the severity of the rupture dictates the symptoms and severity. Often times a Hemorrhagic stroke can be a slow bleed which would not present any symptoms for possible hours while a major one could kill someone almost instantly.

I have personally in my profession went to older people who had fallen that were on blood thinners and offer to take them to the hospital and them refuse due to them feeling fine at the moment. Then go back to them the following day once family shows up and them present with a full blown Hemorrhagic stroke.

Short of doing a scan, one cannot differentiate one from the other. However based on onset and history you can make a strong assumption as to which of the two is more than likely the culprit.

People think of strokes primarily as Thrombotic which means there was a clot in the brain which deprived an area of the brain of blood, nutrients and oxygen. This is rapid onset, and is treated by administering clot busting medicines.

What I believe Dado is stating is a Hemorrhagic Stroke event. This is usually due to an injury to the head (fall) or high blood pressure with a preexisting aneurysm which is often exacerbated by the use of medicines like aspirin, coumadin, warfarin, plavix. etc. This is where a vessel ruptures. Now depending on the severity of the rupture dictates the symptoms and severity. Often times a Hemorrhagic stroke can be a slow bleed which would not present any symptoms for possible hours while a major one could kill someone almost instantly.

I have personally in my profession went to older people who had fallen that were on blood thinners and offer to take them to the hospital and them refuse due to them feeling fine at the moment. Then go back to them the following day once family shows up and them present with a full blown Hemorrhagic stroke.

Short of doing a scan, one cannot differentiate one from the other. However based on onset and history you can make a strong assumption as to which of the two is more than likely the culprit.

Very well said and I completely agree.

I did this when my mom had hr stroke. I came home from work and she was slurring her speech which was odd because she never drank in her life. I took her to the hospital and sure enough, she stroked out. The thing about that drug that they administer to reverse the effects of the stroke is that you have to know when the stroke started otherwise they can't administer it. That was a real heart-breaker.

I did this when my mom had hr stroke. I came home from work and she was slurring her speech which was odd because she never drank in her life. I took her to the hospital and sure enough, she stroked out. The thing about that drug that they administer to reverse the effects of the stroke is that you have to know when the stroke started otherwise they can't administer it. That was a real heart-breaker.

Yeah, if you TPA someone outside of the three hour window then you could cause them to bleed out. It's a very very powerful blood thinner. You'll hear them called "clot busters" too. Sorry to hear about your mom.

good info nothin like listen to the body it will talk to u if u would only listen

thanks for that man, great info

very well stated and great advice

Great stuff.

My grandmother suffered multiple strokes.

The old bat was tough as nails. She would literally DRAG half her body around. She only had use of half her body - this included her arm. Amazingly enough...she lived alone and got on just fine.

I always worry that I will stroke out in life.

I will either live to be 90+ (mothers side) or stroke out (fathers side) :(

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity