YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

YOU GUYS KNOW THEY USE FAKE WEIGHTS RIGHT?

Fathead

Banned
I have been reading the board for a few weeks about the PRO's in the mags and on their VIDS pushing these enormous weights in their workouts and how some of you guys are believing this.

I am getting fairly trim now down to my old weight of 260lbs and I have the habit of being asked do I compete yada yada so old bullshitting. I am working chest today been a while since I had my infection removed so I am a little weaker but still stronger than most guys. I had 325 on the bar doing barbell inclines and a couple of young guys were like " dude you’re so strong" so I said yea no biggie but one of them said still not pro weight.

I asked what do you mean and he says that I am strong but to get as big as the pros I should be inclining 5 plates on each side.
I chuckled a little and actually asked if he was retarded which offended him but I needed to educate the young man.

Back in my early but brief heydays in my twenties I worked with a couple of companies HOT STUFF and later on MAX MUSCLE so I had to do a couple of photo shoots.

I was always amazed at some of the weights by some of the guys like GASPARI used in their photo shoots and thought to myself why aren't these guys competing as power lifters in the Olympics. I went in thinking one day I was going to have to bust ass and lift some heavy shit but this was not the case.

I remember walking in looking at a bench ready for flat presses but it had 5 plates on each side. I just said look guys I am sorry I can't do that much weight and their response was it's not heavy give it a try. I told them no I was getting ready for a show and did not want to pull a pec or something but they said not to worry.

I still did not believe them so one of the guys who weighed about 180lbs went over and appeared to bench 495lbs but in reality it was hollow aluminum plates that with the bar weighed a meager 165lbs.

I was shocked but since then have known for years this is a standard practice especially for staged photo shoots and vids although I don't know what they use now.

I have seen in Venice Big Paul Dillete talk crap and almost loose his anus trying to incline 315 he was even uglier than he normally is.

I know! I know! There are some legitimate strong BB's out there but it ain't many. Mike Francois is the only guy I ever saw with my own eyes straight bar row 405lbs for back but in the MAGS all the guys do this. Jimmy the Bull is another legit strong guy in almost every lift I have seen him do.

Lee Labrada who I am pretty good friends with was once pictured benching 315lbs but could hardly bench over 225 he rarely ever lifted heavy.

To end this long post I argued with these two KIDS for 30 mins they even showed me some mags and I still could not convince them that you can do a ton with technology now and airbrushing can make any thing look real.

Hot stuff

Oh man I remember that stuff.. It sold like crazy where live! Hell, I prolly bought 6 containers myself!

I hear ya FATHEAD...

I have seen and heard that people inthe photo shoots are using fake weights...they try and catch the eyes of the uneducted and try and get them to think that if they take that product that the athlete is taking, they will be that strong.

Gimmick to sell more product.

just goes to show you that it all is just a big illusion. over and over its proven, but all the supplements still sell. i see it everyday in my store. poor kids buying muscletech left and right

Heres a guy who really lifts - Kevin Leverone. Ive spotted him doing 5 plates on incline for 3 good reps.
My partner can bar row with 405, I can too but on Smith Machine.

But I totally believe Fatheads post-just mentioning some exceptions, as he also said there were some. Kinda fucked up, isnt it? :rolleyes:

hot stuff lol i bought that crap way back when

i hear ya fathead i once saw an add of a fellow who was concentration curling a 110 pound dumbell lol

Lee Labrada was small but are you sure he couldnt do more than 225 thats a real beginer bench

i know your right thoe they use alot of fake weights

i'm sure fake weights are used to an extent, but like priest said, 225? i know ALOT of guys that are short and smaller then Leel labrada and yet they bench more then 225. that figure sounds to low for me.

JW

Labrada

I was working out of Dallas for about 3 months and would drive down to see Lee who is still in great shape for his age and not competeing in yrs.

Lee only competed once at 205lbs and that was heavy for him he probably would not even rank now days but I trained with him quite a few times and he just was not strong but then again you do not have to be when you look like him.

Last edited:
Yeah MikeS is right there are some exceptions. Mike, our buddy that used to own the gym you worked out in told me alot of stories about Kevin lifting back in the day, warming up with 315 and shit!!!!! Kevin is a strong dude!

patk

Kevin is strong and all ways lifts heavy. A week out form last years Mr. O he flat benched 505 for 6 reps.

well tell Fux the weight was fake
blew his career out of the water, should have used fake plates--i am sure when not dry as a bone he could handle that squat easy

also what of Ronnie--he could be a top if not the top powerlifter if he chose--see that video of him doing 12 clean reps with 200# DBs---shit---almost makes you quit and that is coming form someone who has done bent over rows with 500 on a straight bar!!

hmm I'm sure they use a lot of fake weights in the photoshoots- after all, why risk injury and possibly your career just to look good in a photoshoot. But I don't think they do it because they're weak. At least not as weak as the figures you mention. I have several national level (Norway's just 4 mill people, so that's like state level to you guys) bodybuilders at my gym doing strict reps with 370-400 in the incline bench, or rowing with 380-400 for reps (myself included). We have a couple really good strongmen at the gym as well, and those guys admits that most bodybuilders kick ass in most lifts in the gym that are done for reps. I've trained with Tommi Thorvildsen and seen him do 6 good reps in the scott curl with a 90 lbs dumbbell. I've trained with Thomas Stellander (**broken link removed**) and he did 10 reps of one-arm laterals with a 100 lbs dumbbell.

I'm sure there could be several weak top bodybuilders out there, but that's definetely not the norm judging by the guys I've trained with or seen train...

-Gunnar
http://www.kalibergym.no

Instync

Your doing bent rows with 500lbs, strict form, how many reps?
I am sorry but if thats true that'd put you around a 900lb + deadlift which is semi world record type lifts.

I don't know you but gee I'd have to see it to believe it.

I guess I am just preaching to the choir but me and Batman are going minature golfing later and then after that we are going to meet the Super Friends for pizza and beer.

Hmmm that sounds about as real as some of the pics in the mags and stories. maybe FUX was stupid and should have used the prop weight but color me jealous I suppose.

:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

damn fathead, i was about to ask if i come come for pizza and beer, then you ruined any hope of that happening when i found out you were just joking..hahaa..

that sounds really good to me,, instead i have to go to bed at 8pm on a freakin saturday night so i can wake up at 4am to go floating!!! errrr i want pizza and beer..lol

Later,

GJ

I forget the name of the guy that did the Fux photo shoot, but he has a reputation of making the guys do crazy heavy weights while in contest condition or close to it. He ridicules them and hits thier egos just so he can make it look "real" and won't let them use fake weights.

wolverine said:
I forget the name of the guy that did the Fux photo shoot, but he has a reputation of making the guys do crazy heavy weights while in contest condition or close to it. He ridicules them and hits thier egos just so he can make it look "real" and won't let them use fake weights.

His name is "Chris Lund" and fathead is correct about alot of the guys using fake weights for photo shoots, but they just do it for the pics and to stay safe, take ronnie for example he might use fake weights for his photo shoots, but he definitely uses real weight when he trains!!

Yup Fathead known that for a while good info for some to know so they dont hurt themselves trying to use pro weights. Jim Quinn also one of those few real strong but look at the life span in bodybuilding when you are stronger then the rest it seems like injuries cut you short. (Big Daddy Dorian) also. MM

Alright John-name your price! :D

youre the man!

I may do 405x3-5, but when Im as strong as Johhny B I will have reached the promised land!:p

Re: Instync

Fathead said:
Your doing bent rows with 500lbs, strict form, how many reps?
I am sorry but if thats true that'd put you around a 900lb + deadlift which is semi world record type lifts.

I don't know you but gee I'd have to see it to believe it.

I guess I am just preaching to the choir but me and Batman are going minature golfing later and then after that we are going to meet the Super Friends for pizza and beer.

Hmmm that sounds about as real as some of the pics in the mags and stories. maybe FUX was stupid and should have used the prop weight but color me jealous I suppose.

:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

i would not say the form was strict but i also would not say it was sloppy and it was full range of motion

and i was 100% natural at the time too

i never did regular deads cause i did not like them and never wanted to be a powerlifter, but i did do siffl-egged deads with 400 using super strict form nearly straight legs and bar to instep for 6-8 reps regularly

after a very bad accident even with 'super-supps' ( i actually started using as therapy to recover from the injuries that were not healing) i could never equal those lifts again but if you want to put 10,000G on the line and polygraph me i am all game

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws