over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Your Recovery Techniques

TheOtherOne55

Verified Sponsor
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors
I'm interested in what everyone does for recovery.

I know most of us spend 3-5 days a week wrecking our bodies, but what are we doing to dig ourselves out of the whole. Obviously good nutrition and sleep is key, but MOST hardcore fitness guys i know usually spend a decent amount of money on masssage, deep tissue shit, and other stuff.
Personally, I am lazy and dont want to throw the extra $100+ a week to throw at massage stuff. One thing i did invest in (which im trying to use more and make it a habit) is one of those massage guns. I am trying to use that on all major bodypart at least once a week. And after watching a recent Joe Rogan podcast, the one with the strongman, my wife actually ordered me a Compex EMS machine. I did some heavy research into it and the majority of it pushes it as a recovery technique and nothing else. So i'm trying to incorporate that into my weekly routine.

But just interested in what everyone else is doing and if they feel it works.

I foam roll, especially my legs, I use the inversion table daily, I stretch each bodypart after that bodyparts workout, I stretch my hams, quads, lower back, hip flexors every day, chiro including ART, TENS, and accupuncture every three weeks.
The hard one is sticking to my training off days.

Glutamine between meals

A nap after training and eating

Massages

Of course sleep, good nutrition

Of course anabolics when training is more intense and putting on muscle

Precontest anabolics to keep muscle

Never tried gh and hear great things about it, esp pre contest

Large heating pad quads and hams

Being older I find by training everything twice over 9 days instead of 7 gives far better recovery. Might be worth considering even for younger guys.

i'm too poor for passive modalities, but the good news is active modalities are better as they can be more frequent. Massages and whatever are great but arent every day occurrences.

1) Soft tissue work and active recovery
2) Post work out I actually prefer to be in a dark quiet room to turn off the CNS
3) Pre workout physio therapy
4) Contrast shower
5) Inferred sauna

Active recovery

For example, do 2-3 sets of bench for 10-15 reps with 135 on the bar, each day.

It will cause your pecs to repair faster and will help build the mind-muscle connection too.

Active recovery

For example, do 2-3 sets of bench for 10-15 reps with 135 on the bar, each day.

It will cause your pecs to repair faster and will help build the mind-muscle connection too.
The used to call those "feeder sets". I did that for a bit when I was hitting legs really hard and heavy. I would do leg extensions the day after squats.

My original post was cheeky but I wanted to revisit this as I think it’s an important topic that is far more paramount than people think. Everyone talks about over training but rarely do people talk about “under-recovery”, if you will. I think they’re one in the same, personally. The below have aided my recovery to the point where I am rarely suffering from DOMS but steadily seeing increases in my log book and positive physique changes. YMMV

1.Sleep- I mean deep REM sleep, 7 hours minimum. Not sure how you’re sleeping...get a sleep study. I prioritize quality sleep these days and I believe it has yielded positive change. I know OP mentioned this but I still wanted to harp on it.

2.HGH- this one goes hand in hand with bullet #1, to a degree. HGH has a myriad of properties (that I won’t get into at this time) that can enhance the physique but the effect it has on sleep alone is worthwhile imo.

3. Peri-workout nutrition, with an emphasis on intra workout drinks. This is touted a lot these days and it’s for good reason. I started incorporating this when I worked under
John Meadows and it’s never left my arsenal.

4. Insulin- Insulin is a powerful tool but it’s only as good as ones nutrition. This plays in directly with bullet #4 as it greatly enhances our ability to utilize what we put into our bodies. I personally use a rapid acting version pre or post workout. I think long acting has a place as well but that’s a topic for another day.

5. Deep tissue work- I mean real deep tissue, not a massage parlor that could result in a happy ending. If the massage is relaxing, you’re doing it wrong.

6. Stop drinking - I graduated from Penn state, I pretty much majored and minored in alcohol consumption. When I reduced my alcohol consumption, my body thanked me.

7. Steroids- use them, need I say more lol

Along with the above, I also incorporate foam rolling, EMS and massage guns. I think they all have a place, but I stand behind my top 7.

My original post was cheeky but I wanted to revisit this as I think it’s an important topic that is far more paramount than people think. Everyone talks about over training but rarely do people talk about “under-recovery”, if you will. I think they’re one in the same, personally. The below have aided my recovery to the point where I am rarely suffering from DOMS but steadily seeing increases in my log book and positive physique changes. YMMV

1.Sleep- I mean deep REM sleep, 7 hours minimum. Not sure how you’re sleeping...get a sleep study. I prioritize quality sleep these days and I believe it has yielded positive change. I know OP mentioned this but I still wanted to harp on it.

2.HGH- this one goes hand in hand with bullet #1, to a degree. HGH has a myriad of properties (that I won’t get into at this time) that can enhance the physique but the effect it has on sleep alone is worthwhile imo.

3. Peri-workout nutrition, with an emphasis on intra workout drinks. This is touted a lot these days and it’s for good reason. I started incorporating this when I worked under
John Meadows and it’s never left my arsenal.

4. Insulin- Insulin is a powerful tool but it’s only as good as ones nutrition. This plays in directly with bullet #4 as it greatly enhances our ability to utilize what we put into our bodies. I personally use a rapid acting version pre or post workout. I think long acting has a place as well but that’s a topic for another day.

5. Deep tissue work- I mean real deep tissue, not a massage parlor that could result in a happy ending. If the massage is relaxing, you’re doing it wrong.

6. Stop drinking - I graduated from Penn state, I pretty much majored and minored in alcohol consumption. When I reduced my alcohol consumption, my body thanked me.

7. Steroids- use them, need I say more lol

Along with the above, I also incorporate foam rolling, EMS and massage guns. I think they all have a place, but I stand behind my top 7.

I won't post a list as mine is pretty much the same as yours. Well I can't really use HGH due to side effects but I 100% recommend it in small doses for many reasons. I will also add ZMA to the sleep part as that has always helped improve the quality of my sleep. I am using a product now called Brain Gains which is a non sedative sleep aid which has improved my sleep quality recently. It contains zma, ashwagandha (ksm-66), lions mane, bacopa extract, phosphatidylserine and l-theanine. I do occasionally use melatonin as well which can be great for me. Intra workout nutrition significantly improved my overall recovery and insulin only adds to that. I also stretch after every training session.

I forgot mediation I do this daily at the beginning of the day for 10-30 minutes. sometimes up to forty if i feel I need it. usually around 15-20.

It helps me with being calm, lowers cortisol and studies show helps gray matter in the brain which is related to brain aging

Foamrolling esp. after back days. Fysiotherapist every three weeks for cracking neck, back and deep tissue massage. Trying to get enough sleep, which sometimes is the hardest part with 4 little children😉

All good stuff above. I'll only emphasize the active recovery posts because I've tested results with/without it many times. Once done with the damaging work, hop on a bike/walk/elliptical and just keep your body moving for another 20 minutes while also consuming some protein/carb drink. I know most of us that have been doing this a while find it sometimes hard to justify even our workouts, but then you add 20 minutes of what feels like wasted time to that....BUT with that strategy my recovery is usually 2 days shorter than without it! That's enough of a justification. Not only is it enhanced nutrient delivery due to the exercise, but you also get a chance to calm the CNS down which otherwise might take 4 hours longer.

These days I take more off days to recover. I feel best lifting weights EOD, but work and other responsibilities force me to train multiple days occasionally. Today, I’m going to train back after training chest yesterday. I know my elbows are going to be pissed off about it. 😀

When I sleep poorly, I wake up with more pain than usual. I think the good sleep is more important than anything else.

I like to use a tennis ball to massage the shoulders and back.

foam rolling, although i use a piece of pvc pipe for rolling my quads and IT bands, i use lacrosse balls for smaller trigger points, epsom salt balths, DC extreme stretching post workout.

Steroids. Eating enough.

Also lifting 2x a week low volume focusing on adding weight to good mech positions. Serious. If a 305lb lilliebridge is making gains that way why wouldn't i? Better to be under training but making consistent progress week to week than over training and making no progress. i also train hard enough to give myself anxiety the day before my top set tho

Chiro (weekly)
ART (as needed)
Physical Therapy and dry needling (usually 2x/month)
Infrared sauna followed up by cold shower(1-2x/week)
Epsom soak (1-2x/month)
7-8 hours sleep/night with CPAP

Increasing protein to 2gm/lb LBM and more frequent but shorter training sessions. I train everything 3 x weekly for 1-2 sets each WO.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear