over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

your thoughts on high carb vs keto diets

mohannad

Newbies
hey guys..

I usually follow a keto diet all the way to the show and get very good results. I always add a tbs of oil/peanut butter or some nuts with every meal. However, for this year I'm thinking of doing a higher carb diet (never exp with it before) and see how it would go.

I have this question, is it necessary to add fats from oils and nuts or fat traces in meat sources is enough?

I know adding extra fats, will add more calories. I also know it is a general question, dieting is diff. for each, gear, training and cardio have huge influence as well. So, if any have tried both and can share any thoughts, it will be much appreciated.

if you mean real keto that is like 60-70% fat 30-40% protein

just try it i would say.. keep you carbs around the workout. and do fat and protein ind the rest of them 2 meal with carbs before and after workout

IMO, true keto (very high fat, close to zero carbs) is not effective for bodybuilding. Now, I do believe in cycling and timing carbohydrate intake to improve insulin sensitivity. But extended periods of very low carb, without re-feeds, causes fatigue and just makes me feel awful.

High carb + mod protein + very low fat = Great environment for building muscle

Zero Carb + mod protein + mod fat = Great environment for removing tons of body fat

Combine both environments at different stages of your development for maximum results, just prioritize what it is you want more….More muscle or less fat?

i'll never go under 30% cals from fat..

I agree if you want to gain lower the fat a bit up the carbs and protein.

you wanna lose lower the carbs alot, protein slightly, and raise fat hella high

after competing doing two different diet styles i will always go with cyclical keto. even when bulking!

thx a lot guys.. I like cycling keto, actually, I'm doing it right now.

I have by far the best success on low fat diets, I get some fats from steak daily and maybe some whole omega eggs, but adding nut butters and oils gets me nowhere. I know many people are completely the opposite, but I can lean out on 350g carbs easily if I keep my fats to only trace from cuts of meat, and I look infinitely better than if I do the same calories but with peanut butter and shit.

If I was natural I would probably not do it this way as I would be more concerned with hormone levels etc.

hey guys..

I usually follow a keto diet all the way to the show and get very good results. I always add a tbs of oil/peanut butter or some nuts with every meal. However, for this year I'm thinking of doing a higher carb diet (never exp with it before) and see how it would go.

I have this question, is it necessary to add fats from oils and nuts or fat traces in meat sources is enough?

I know adding extra fats, will add more calories. I also know it is a general question, dieting is diff. for each, gear, training and cardio have huge influence as well. So, if any have tried both and can share any thoughts, it will be much appreciated.

If you do well on cyclical keto diets as I do then I would recommend you eat high protein moderate fat and no carbs except around training time. I'm doing this now after finishing up a keto diet and losing more fat and much fuller now with the carbs which the majority of them are intra workout.

As far as fats most come from almonds or almond butter or coconut oil then some from eggs and cheese.

I can't advise you on whether this is ideal leading up to a show but I find it very enjoyable. Instead of the weekly carb up I do the carbs around training as mentioned and just have some pop tarts on days I'm feeling the need for it or look flat and I tend to do that at night and then I am nice and full during my morning workout.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'm just a nobody who likes a workout but I can't stay on a keto diet so it doesn't work for me. Its just not livable. Where as 300g protein, 300g carbs, and 100g of fats over six meals is a good offseason and keeps me lean. I just drop the fats over a period of time and I still feel good.

I'm just a nobody who likes a workout but I can't stay on a keto diet so it doesn't work for me. Its just not livable. Where as 300g protein, 300g carbs, and 100g of fats over six meals is a good offseason and keeps me lean. I just drop the fats over a period of time and I still feel good.

Have you tired cyclical keto with weekend carb ups? I'd never do straight keep that's nuts.

Exactly how I cut last year, very successful. Went higher carb this time and kept fats below 10g the whole time and was even more successful and easy to stick to. Lowest I went on carbs was 430 and that was only for 3 weeks at end

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have by far the best success on low fat diets, I get some fats from steak daily and maybe some whole omega eggs, but adding nut butters and oils gets me nowhere. I know many people are completely the opposite, but I can lean out on 350g carbs easily if I keep my fats to only trace from cuts of meat, and I look infinitely better than if I do the same calories but with peanut butter and shit.

i took a year off to try to move into the heavy class (im usually LW), but some size on and was was on a high carb (& trace fats) diet for 4 weeks (till 6 wks out), was all full and leaned out good. But comparing 6 weeks out now with 6 weeks out last year, I didn't like what I looked like so I switched back to cyclical keto.

Have you tired cyclical keto with weekend carb ups? I'd never do straight keep that's nuts.

In the past, I've been juicing since the mid 90s, I did Duchaines Body Opus and MacDonalds CKD diet. It worked. It was just a lot of suffering compared to a higher carb diet.

In the past, I've been juicing since the mid 90s, I did Duchaines Body Opus and MacDonalds CKD diet. It worked. It was just a lot of suffering compared to a higher carb diet.

Yeah I started with BO then tried Lyles. I must be in the minority but I absolutely love CKD. Always look forward to the Friday full body workout and subsequent carb up.....man I can't wait for that big bowl of oatmeal. Makes me look forward to something and never get bored of the diet.

Mondays workout after the weekend carbs is silly in terms of veiny and pumped and strong I am. Even come Friday I'm still very strong.

I guess my body learns to use ketones as good as it uses glucose. I hardly even bounce out of ketosis during the carb up so I spend more time in ketosis then most. Many guys have to suffer through tons of cardio to re enter ketosis but not me. I also feel many who hate this diet probably don't eat enough fat to make them feel right.

Other than being a little flat Friday morning the rest of the week is awesome.

I don't do the diet longer than 12 weeks then I transition into low low fat with lowish carbs and high protien. Few weeks into that I up the fats mainly with coconut oil. I'll drop even more fat after 4 weeks of that. Now that I'm testing the waters with intra carbs I now eat no or super low carbs all day except intra and post workout. It's a solid diet that can go much longer than 12 weeks.

Im just a nobody who likes a workout but ya it seems individual. What I've done in the past was 6-7 meals high protein - mod fats - low carbs. A lot of chicken/steak, veggies, and peanut butter. Except breakfast which was my only carb meal eggs/oats ... it was actually my preworkout meal. I was very grumpy. Cardio was brutal. Friday night I carbed up with whatever the fuck I could eat. Usually a couple foot long meatball subs and some Jack Daniels and within a few hours I was vascular as fuck. The next day I would look pretty good. But ya man right now I'm eating a ton of protein/carbs with low fat and it seems like I could eat 8 meals a day and still maintain a good condition. A couple hours after eating 2 cups of scrambled egg whites with 1 cup of oats I'm breaking open the lunch box for another meal.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner