over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Zinc disucssed

animal71

Banned
Everyone has heard of zinc. But is zinc needed for bodybuilding? do you use zinc daily? what doses do you use? and what benefits do you feel from it?

I use ZMA daily now, the full stack, but did zinc alone before. Did 100mcg/day before, but didn't feel anything major. I believe it has to be mixed with other minerals for best results.

We have a good article about Zinc on evo, just published, feedback is welcome:
https://www.evolutionary.org/zinc/

zinc-caps.jpg

Zinc is a very important mineral that is involved in bone health and is essential for testosterone production.

A lot of lifters are deficient in zinc so it's a really good idea to supplement with a good quality multivitamin/mineral that contains zinc.

Make sure that the zinc in the multivitamin contains a zinc amino acid chelate. That is the most absorbable form of supplemental zinc. A zinc oxide is very poorly absorbed and pretty much useless.

You always want to see amino acid chelated minerals in your multivitamin.

i use 45mg zinc citrate daily, it s helpfull

Zinc has a profound influence IGF-1 levels, IGF-1 bioactivity and the trophic actions of IGF-1 on skeletal muscle through multiple pathways.

Zinc is CRITICAL for maximizing IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels.

Zinc acts as an up-regulator of hepatic IGF-1 synthesis.

In addition to other, more well known pathways, zinc’s positive effect on IGF-1 levels may also be at least partially attributable to its known antioxidant activity. For example, zinc may positively modulate IGF-1 release through the protection of endocrine cells; an effect achieved by limiting the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS), thereby minimizing endocrine cell degeneration/death.

The vast majority of athletes/bodybuilders are zinc deficient (a fact confirmed through numerous clinical studies and labwork conducted on more than 200,000 people tested at Balco Laboratories), with the degree of deficiency ranging from moderate to severe.

Zinc has been shown to significantly increase IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels in both zinc AND non-zinc deficient individuals, which means that even if you are not technically "deficient", it will still increase levels of these hormones. If you are deficient (likely), it will have a more profound effect.

Only certain forms of zinc should be used for supplementation purposes, as some of them are nearly worthless for increasing zinc concentrations in the body.

Based on the evidence, the chances are likely that most people here should be supplementing with zinc.

Last edited:
Zinc has a profound influence IGF-1 levels, IGF-1 bioactivity and the trophic actions of IGF-1 on skeletal muscle through multiple pathways.

In addition to other, more well known pathways, zinc’s positive effect on IGF-1 levels may also be at least partially attributable to its known antioxidant activity. For example, zinc may positively modulate IGF-1 release through the protection of endocrine cells; an effect achieved by limiting the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS), thereby minimizing endocrine cell degeneration/death.

The vast majority of athletes/bodybuilders are zinc deficient (a fact confirmed through numerous clinical studies and labwork conducted on more than 200,000 people tested at Balco Laboratories), with the degree of deficiency ranging from moderate to severe.

Zinc has been shown to significantly increase IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels in both zinc AND non-zinc deficient individuals, which means that even if you are not technically "deficient", it will still increase levels of these hormones. If you are deficient (likely), it will have a more profound effect.

Only certain forms of zinc should be used for supplementation purposes, as some of them are nearly worthless for increasing zinc concentrations in the body.

Based on the evidence, the chances are likely that most people here should be supplementing with zinc.

Mike,

What form of zinc do you find most effective and, what dose do you recommend?

I take 50mg daily and have been for years. Not many are aware of the many benefits as outlined above. Great thread!

Any reasoning behind why most athletes and bodybuilders are deficient? I would think with all the food we eat, we'd consume more than enough however I'm guessing that's not the case...

Any reasoning behind why most athletes and bodybuilders are deficient? I would think with all the food we eat, we'd consume more than enough however I'm guessing that's not the case...
Because of rigorous training. It depletes zinc.

#TeamDreamCrusher

Zinc pre bed with Chelated Magnesium, NAC, Melatonin blend and Taurine.

Everyone has heard of zinc. But is zinc needed for bodybuilding? do you use zinc daily? what doses do you use? and what benefits do you feel from it?

I use ZMA daily now, the full stack, but did zinc alone before. Did 100mcg/day before, but didn't feel anything major. I believe it has to be mixed with other minerals for best results.

We have a good article about Zinc on evo, just published, feedback is welcome:
https://www.evolutionary.org/zinc/

zinc-caps.jpg

You can't even take the time to proof anything you do?
Look at the thread title. Here you talk about 100mcg a day and you talk about mcg in the article and link to a product with 200mcg of zinc in it - it's only there for fluff. 200mcg is nothing.

Even the studies you link to talk about taking mgs.
Get your shit together with your clickbait.

I used to take it religiously when I was natural along with magnesium. Now I take it most nights 50mg with 250mg of magnesium. Helps with sleep, and multiple other things.

For example, load volume lol. If that's something you're concerned about.

I used to take it religiously when I was natural along with magnesium. Now I take it most nights 50mg with 250mg of magnesium. Helps with sleep, and multiple other things.

For example, load volume lol. If that's something you're concerned about.

That is true..for Sure, lol.

Calcium and zinc compete for absorption so taking them separately would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damnit..they had to put calcium in my Melatonin blend supplement!! :banghead:

Swanson triple magnesium complex 400 mg , garden of life vitamin code are zinc 60mg and Swanson ultra triple strength melatonin 10mg before bed.

You can't even take the time to proof anything you do?
Look at the thread title. Here you talk about 100mcg a day and you talk about mcg in the article and link to a product with 200mcg of zinc in it - it's only there for fluff. 200mcg is nothing.

Even the studies you link to talk about taking mgs.
Get your shit together with your clickbait.
when combined with other minerals that is a potent dose. you also should be eating foods with zinc too already

Great read, So what is the best form of zinc to use?

Best form is Zinc Picolinate

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3630857

Intense training, sweating, etc. It is found in certain foods containing a good amount of Zinc, but when factoring in training and other activities, likely not getting enough.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131