over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Article: Deca-Durabolin Weakens Tendons and Collagen

bubbafrombama

Registered
You can also find the below article in the December 2011 issue of Muscular Development on pages 198-200.

DECA-DURABOLIN Weakens Tendons and Collagen

If you are not visiting musculardevelopment.com on a daily basis, you are not getting breaking news and up-to-the-minute information. In a recent thread started in the NO BULL forums a person wrote, “How come people don’t train like Ronnie anymore?” The thread talked about the change in the training style of all the bodybuilders to more high-volume training and less high-intensity training. With the exception of Branch Warren, there are not many pros who are training with high intensity. It may be because today’s bodybuilders don’t want to risk injury. Here is a list of some of the top bodybuilders who have suffered major injuries or tears during their training careers, off the top of my head:

• Dorian Yates: tricep/bicep
  • Kevin Levrone: pec
  • Rich Gaspari: pec
  • Ronnie Coleman: tricep
  • Berry de May: pec
  • Chris Dickerson: pec
  • Tom Platz: bicep
  • Branch Warren: tricep/quad tendon

Is it just a coincidence that bodybuilders are more likely to suffer injuries because of heavy training, or does the use of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS) have any impact on tendon/collagen strength? The research is very preliminary, as only a few studies have examined the effects of AAS on tendon and collagen strength. It was shown that anabolic steroids alter the biomechanical properties of tendons and reduce tendon flexibility.(1,2,3)

Some interesting theories have been suggested as why heavy anabolic steroid use can cause tendon injury, which is based around cortisol production and AAS. Researches have demonstrated that AAS combined with tension overload reduced MMP2 activity (MMP2 is a gene responsible for collagen production) and increased serum values of cortisol.(4) During cortisol treatment, the serum levels of genes responsible for collagen production decrease, suggesting that cortisol suppresses the synthesis of collagen production.(5) The reduction in genes for collagen and tendons have been speculated as to why AAS makes bodybuilders susceptible to injuries. New research links the use of high doses of anabolic steroids to tendon and collagen dysfunction, which may make a bodybuilder think twice about training heavily while using anabolics.

GENE EXPRESSION IN TENDS/COLLAGEN AFTER HEAVY AAS USE

Researchers in the European Journal of Applied Physiology examined how heavy use of the anabolic steroid Deca-Durabolin affected collagen strength in rats. The rats were separated into two groups: natural training and training with heavy anabolic steroid use. The dose the researchers administered to the rats was considered supra-physiological – Deca-Durabolin (nandrolone decanoate) 5mg/kg of bodyweight.

The rats were cleverly forced to perform resistance exercise, but you can’t just tell a rat to start benching – so the researchers attached weights to the rats’ backs. They dropped the rats into a tank of water and the rats immediately jumped out of the water as soon as they were dunked. Every week, the researchers gradually made the weight on the rats’ backs heavier and heavier until at the end of seven weeks the weight was 80 percent of their bodyweight. The researchers dropped the rats in the tank so that they performed this for 4 sets x 10 repetitions of “jumps” with 30-second rest periods. After that, they rats were sacrificed and the rats’ tendons and collagen were examined for gene expression.

There were some very interesting findings after seven weeks of training with anabolic steroids, compared with the natty (natural) group of rats. The natty group did not have any biochemical changes in the rat tendon/collagen properties, while the anabolic steroid group had major changes.(6) The Deca-Durabolin group had reduced biochemical properties of genes involving tendon and collagen strength.

It is interesting to note that AAS administration reduced the accumulation of IGF-1 mRNA levels in some tendon regions, compared to the non-treated, trained group. This decrease of IGF-1 mRNA levels induced by AAS administration may be related to the observed decreases collagen expression when considering the possible connection between IGF-1 and collagen synthesis.(8) The AAS treatment also decreased the MMP-2 mRNA expression (this gene encodes an enzyme for collagen).

The above study is similar to another recently published study, which showed that nandrolone impaired the healing of rotator cuffs of rabbits. In the latter study, male rabbits underwent an incision in the rotator cuff and were divided into groups with anabolic steroids (nandrolone decanoate, 10mg/kg) and natural recovery. Groups that did not receive anabolic steroids showed better healing and more tendon strength compared to groups that received anabolic steroids. Microscopic examination of specimens from the groups with anabolic steroid use showed focal fibroblastic reaction and inflammation, suggesting an impaired healing response.(7)

The key point is that many of these studies were using supraphysiological dosages of steroids that could be like the typical Olympia stack – but the new research suggests that a high-volume approach to training with less weight may be a better approach to use for a bodybuilder than a high-intensity, heavy weight program that puts more stress on the tendons and makes them more susceptible to injury.

By Robbie Durand, M.A., Senior Science Editor of Muscular Development

References:

1. Evans NA, Bowrey DJ, Newman GR (1998) Ultrastructural analysis of ruptured tendon from anabolic steroid users. Injury, 29:769-773.
2: Marqueti RC, Prestes J, Paschoal M, Ramos OH, Perez SE, Carvalho HF, Selistre-de-Araujo HS (2008) Matrix metallopeptidase 2 activity in tendon regions: effects of mechanical loading exercise associated to anabolic-androgenic steroids, Eur J Appl Physiol, 104:1087-1093.
3: Marqueti RC, Prestes J, Wang CC, Ramos OH, Perez SE, Nakagaki WR, Carvalho HF, Selistre-de-Araujo HS (2010). Biomechanical responses of different rat tendons to nandrolone decanoate and load exercise. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 29.
4: Marqueti RC, Parizotto NA, Chriguer RS, Perez SEA, Selistre-de-Araujo HS (2006) Androgenic-anabolic steroids associated with mechanical loading inhibit matrix metallopeptidase activity and affect the remodeling of the Achilles tendon in rats. Am J Sport Med, 34:1274-1280.
5: Oikarinen A, Autio P, Vuori J, Va¨a¨na¨nen K, Risteli L, Kiistala U, Risteli J (1992) Systemic glucocorticoid treatment decreases serum concentrations of carboxyterminal propeptide of type I procollagen and aminoterminal propeptide of type III procollagen. Br J Dermatol, 126:172-178.
6: Marqueti RC, Heinemeier KM, Durigan JL, de Andrade Perez SE, Schjerling P, Kjaer M, Carvalho HF, Selistre-de-Araujo HS. Erratum to: Gene expression in distinct regions of rat tendons in response to jump training combined with anabolic androgenic steroid administration. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2011 Sep 8.
7: Papaspiliopoulos A, Papaparaskeva K, Papadopoulou E, Feroussis J, Papalois A, Zoubos A. The effect of local use of nandrolone decanoate on rotator cuff repair in rabbits. J Invest Surg, 2010 Aug;23(4):204-7.
8: Heinemeier KM, Olesen JL, Schjerling P, Hassad F, Langberg H, Baldwin KM, Kjaer M (2007b) Short-term strength training and the expression of myostatin and IGF-1 isoforms in rat muscle and tendon: differential effects of specific contraction types. J Appl Physiol, 102:573-581.

You can also find the below article in the December 2011 issue of Muscular Development on pages 198-200.

DECA-DURABOLIN Weakens Tendons and Collagen

If you are not visiting musculardevelopment.com on a daily basis, you are not getting breaking news and up-to-the-minute information. In a recent thread started in the NO BULL forums a person wrote, “How come people don’t train like Ronnie anymore?” The thread talked about the change in the training style of all the bodybuilders to more high-volume training and less high-intensity training. With the exception of Branch Warren, there are not many pros who are training with high intensity. It may be because today’s bodybuilders don’t want to risk injury. Here is a list of some of the top bodybuilders who have suffered major injuries or tears during their training careers, off the top of my head:
  • Dorian Yates: tricep/bicep
  • Kevin Levrone: pec
  • Rich Gaspari: pec
  • Ronnie Coleman: tricep
  • Berry de May: pec
  • Chris Dickerson: pec
  • Tom Platz: bicep
  • Branch Warren: tricep/quad tendon

Is it just a coincidence that bodybuilders are more likely to suffer injuries because of heavy training, or does the use of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS) have any impact on tendon/collagen strength? The research is very preliminary, as only a few studies have examined the effects of AAS on tendon and collagen strength. It was shown that anabolic steroids alter the biomechanical properties of tendons and reduce tendon flexibility.(1,2,3)

Some interesting theories have been suggested as why heavy anabolic steroid use can cause tendon injury, which is based around cortisol production and AAS. Researches have demonstrated that AAS combined with tension overload reduced MMP2 activity (MMP2 is a gene responsible for collagen production) and increased serum values of cortisol.(4) During cortisol treatment, the serum levels of genes responsible for collagen production decrease, suggesting that cortisol suppresses the synthesis of collagen production.(5) The reduction in genes for collagen and tendons have been speculated as to why AAS makes bodybuilders susceptible to injuries. New research links the use of high doses of anabolic steroids to tendon and collagen dysfunction, which may make a bodybuilder think twice about training heavily while using anabolics.

GENE EXPRESSION IN TENDS/COLLAGEN AFTER HEAVY AAS USE

Researchers in the European Journal of Applied Physiology examined how heavy use of the anabolic steroid Deca-Durabolin affected collagen strength in rats. The rats were separated into two groups: natural training and training with heavy anabolic steroid use. The dose the researchers administered to the rats was considered supra-physiological – Deca-Durabolin (nandrolone decanoate) 5mg/kg of bodyweight.

The rats were cleverly forced to perform resistance exercise, but you can’t just tell a rat to start benching – so the researchers attached weights to the rats’ backs. They dropped the rats into a tank of water and the rats immediately jumped out of the water as soon as they were dunked. Every week, the researchers gradually made the weight on the rats’ backs heavier and heavier until at the end of seven weeks the weight was 80 percent of their bodyweight. The researchers dropped the rats in the tank so that they performed this for 4 sets x 10 repetitions of “jumps” with 30-second rest periods. After that, they rats were sacrificed and the rats’ tendons and collagen were examined for gene expression.

There were some very interesting findings after seven weeks of training with anabolic steroids, compared with the natty (natural) group of rats. The natty group did not have any biochemical changes in the rat tendon/collagen properties, while the anabolic steroid group had major changes.(6) The Deca-Durabolin group had reduced biochemical properties of genes involving tendon and collagen strength.

It is interesting to note that AAS administration reduced the accumulation of IGF-1 mRNA levels in some tendon regions, compared to the non-treated, trained group. This decrease of IGF-1 mRNA levels induced by AAS administration may be related to the observed decreases collagen expression when considering the possible connection between IGF-1 and collagen synthesis.(8) The AAS treatment also decreased the MMP-2 mRNA expression (this gene encodes an enzyme for collagen).

The above study is similar to another recently published study, which showed that nandrolone impaired the healing of rotator cuffs of rabbits. In the latter study, male rabbits underwent an incision in the rotator cuff and were divided into groups with anabolic steroids (nandrolone decanoate, 10mg/kg) and natural recovery. Groups that did not receive anabolic steroids showed better healing and more tendon strength compared to groups that received anabolic steroids. Microscopic examination of specimens from the groups with anabolic steroid use showed focal fibroblastic reaction and inflammation, suggesting an impaired healing response.(7)

The key point is that many of these studies were using supraphysiological dosages of steroids that could be like the typical Olympia stack – but the new research suggests that a high-volume approach to training with less weight may be a better approach to use for a bodybuilder than a high-intensity, heavy weight program that puts more stress on the tendons and makes them more susceptible to injury.

By Robbie Durand, M.A., Senior Science Editor of Muscular Development

References:

1. Evans NA, Bowrey DJ, Newman GR (1998) Ultrastructural analysis of ruptured tendon from anabolic steroid users. Injury, 29:769-773.
2: Marqueti RC, Prestes J, Paschoal M, Ramos OH, Perez SE, Carvalho HF, Selistre-de-Araujo HS (2008) Matrix metallopeptidase 2 activity in tendon regions: effects of mechanical loading exercise associated to anabolic-androgenic steroids, Eur J Appl Physiol, 104:1087-1093.
3: Marqueti RC, Prestes J, Wang CC, Ramos OH, Perez SE, Nakagaki WR, Carvalho HF, Selistre-de-Araujo HS (2010). Biomechanical responses of different rat tendons to nandrolone decanoate and load exercise. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 29.
4: Marqueti RC, Parizotto NA, Chriguer RS, Perez SEA, Selistre-de-Araujo HS (2006) Androgenic-anabolic steroids associated with mechanical loading inhibit matrix metallopeptidase activity and affect the remodeling of the Achilles tendon in rats. Am J Sport Med, 34:1274-1280.
5: Oikarinen A, Autio P, Vuori J, Va¨a¨na¨nen K, Risteli L, Kiistala U, Risteli J (1992) Systemic glucocorticoid treatment decreases serum concentrations of carboxyterminal propeptide of type I procollagen and aminoterminal propeptide of type III procollagen. Br J Dermatol, 126:172-178.
6: Marqueti RC, Heinemeier KM, Durigan JL, de Andrade Perez SE, Schjerling P, Kjaer M, Carvalho HF, Selistre-de-Araujo HS. Erratum to: Gene expression in distinct regions of rat tendons in response to jump training combined with anabolic androgenic steroid administration. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2011 Sep 8.
7: Papaspiliopoulos A, Papaparaskeva K, Papadopoulou E, Feroussis J, Papalois A, Zoubos A. The effect of local use of nandrolone decanoate on rotator cuff repair in rabbits. J Invest Surg, 2010 Aug;23(4):204-7.
8: Heinemeier KM, Olesen JL, Schjerling P, Hassad F, Langberg H, Baldwin KM, Kjaer M (2007b) Short-term strength training and the expression of myostatin and IGF-1 isoforms in rat muscle and tendon: differential effects of specific contraction types. J Appl Physiol, 102:573-581.

Luckily my rat, nor my rabbit has never had a problem with deca. But this study seems weird, is it the AAS causing the injuries, or the high intensity heavy weights?

Last edited:
Well ain't that a b**ch.....For years I've been told that Deca increases collagen synthesis and is actually good for protecting and healing connective tissue. Its things like this that make me think that at my age (42) I'm just going to stick with trt and GH.......OK.....maybe with the occasional tren blast :) Great post Bubba....thanks.

Last edited:
Listing a group of bodybuilders and saying how they had tears and linking that to aas/deca is just stupid. The fact they squat 500 pounds for reps doesn't matter does it. Maybe the study as some merit... but I love my deca so it hasn't put me off it one bit.

Luckily my rat, nor my rabbit has never had a problem with deca. But this study seems weird, is it the AAS causing the injuries, or the high intensity heavy weights?

It's obvious it was the Deca in these particular studies they referenced with the rats and rabbits. There were two groups in all the studies - one with no Deca, and the other with Deca. Each group performed the same tests as one another, and the rabbit group did zero lifting.

Well ain't that a b**ch.....For years I've been told that Deca increases collagen synthesis and is actually good for protecting and healing connective tissue. Its things like this that make me think that at my age (42) I'm just going to stick with trt and GH.......OK.....maybe with the occasional tren blast :) Great post Bubba....thanks.

BINGO! Exactly what I was thinking, in that so many have been told that Deca actually strengthens tendons via collagen synthesis. Here's an old thread from 2007 on Alinboard that references just such with Equipoise, Primobolan, Deca, and HGH:

**broken link removed**
(see post #7)

I googled part of that article, and it has been cross-posted across all the various bodybuilding sites on the web, all without any study references whatsoever! No wonder so many believe it! See here:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-....,cf.osb&fp=a264c4da15b5e6be&biw=1288&bih=797

Last edited:
I read a study that Deca increased collagen synthesis by 250%

I read a study that Deca increased collagen synthesis by 250%

Yeah, read my post directly above yours. I'm pretty sure you probably read the same study I linked to. If so, I've seen zero references backing up that original source of information. As you can see in my first post, all the information and references you need is listed to understand that Deca actually harms collagen synthesis.

Concerning that crap information from "AnimalMass" from years ago, as I linked to above, read post #17 and #20 from this thread:

Which steroids are best for your joints/tendons/ligaments etc

Property of Steroid.com said:
The author is Animal Mass. We've seen this post resurface around 2 times in the last year, and not one person has been able to get reputable medical confirmation on a single "fact" in it....

I think that it's mostly all bullshit.

Property of Steroid.com said:
spywizard said:
dont remember the author..but

Eq , primo, anavar , and deca are all good -- they increase several biomakers of collagen syn -- ie, type III, II, I, procollagen markers. GH just seems to do so most dramatically.

Deca @ 3 mg/kg a week(about 270 mg/wk for a 200 lb male) will increase procollagen III levels by 270% by week 2. Procollagen III is a primary indicator used to determine the rate of collagen syn. As you can see, deca is a very good drug at giving you everything you want -- an increase in collagen syn, an increase in skeletal muscle, and increases in bone mass and density. The one thing it does not give you is wood

Primobolan , @ 5 mg/kg, will increase collagen synthesis by roughly 180% -- less than deca and equipoise but still substantial.

Equipoise @ 3 mg/kg will increase procollagen III by approximately 340% -- slightly better than deca .

No...as I said, Animal Mass is totally incorrect...procollagen III is a marker of the creation of type-III Collagen (makes sense, right?)....and this creates a WEAKER (!) tendon, not a stronger one...

Orthop Res. 2002 Nov;20(6):1352-7.

[size=+1]Increased content of type III collagen at the rupture site of human Achilles tendon.[/size]

Eriksen HA, Pajala A, Leppilahti J, Risteli J.

Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Oulu, P.O. Box 5000, FIN-90014, Oulu, Finland.

We compared the type I and III collagen amounts and cross-linked telopeptides at the rupture site and two other sites of the same tendon. Tendon samples of ten individuals with total Achilles tendon rupture and six healthy cadavers were collected. The newly synthesized type I and III procollagens were assessed by extracting the soluble propeptides PINP, PICP and PIIINP. The insoluble matrix was solubilized by heat denaturation and trypsin digestion. Hydroxyproline, the cross-linked telopeptide structures of type I (ICTP and SP 4) and III collagens (IIINTP) and the degradation product of type III collagen (tryptic PIIINP) were measured from the digests. The type III collagen content was significantly increased at the rupture site when compared to control sites (5- and 12-fold increased) or cadavers (5-fold increased). No changes in the amounts of newly synthesized type I and III procollagens were observed. The ICTP content decreased and the SP 4/ICTP ratio increased along with ageing, suggesting a structural change in the type of cross-link in the carboxyterminal telopeptide of type I collagen. Type III collagen has accumulated at the rupture site probably due to microtraumas and the subsequent healing process. The increased content of type III collagen can cause thinner collagen fibers, decrease the tensile strength and may finally result in total rupture of the tendon. The age-related change in the nature of the cross-link in the carboxyterminal telopeptide may contribute to this weakening.

Use of any of these drugs @ supra-physiological levels with a maintenance dose of test will increase collagen syn while at the same time increase skeletal muscle mass.

"Supra-Physiological levels of Primobolan"? I didn't know there was a physiological level...

How much Primobolan does a normal person have in them? To have a Supra-Physiological level of something, you must first have an endogenous (naturally occuring level...aka physiological level)....Whats a supra-physiological level of Eq? How much Eq does my body normally produce?

Last edited:
High Dose Test

Every injury Ive gotten in the gym has been while on high doses of Test only or Test plus a Oral or Test plus Tren. Ive never had a injury while on Test and Deca and training alot heavier while on Test and Deca.

Deca makes hold injurys seem to go away too, but when i go off deca the old injurys come back. Seems to act as a anti-inflamatory for me. But I wont ever go on Deca again without prami or caber with it. Kills sex drive without anti-prolactins for me.

Eating collagen protein

Does anybody eat Protein from collagen to stregthen joints?
Arnt some Liquid Beef Protein sources made from Collagen?

Heavy lifting can be terrible for your tendons. I've been repping out a lot more lately and it's been great all over. I do miss the days of maxing out on squat and deadlift though

Thank you for posting this! I saw this article recently and I was going to post it but I forgot to bookmark it and I had trouble finding it again!! Very interesting!! I like using Deca as it makes my joints feel young again!!LoL!! Luckily for me, I don't throw around the heavier weights like I used too!! The one thing I've always been terrified of is tearing a muscle...Makes me cringe just thinking about it!!!

I call bullshit on this article due to injury is based on workload, form and or improper rest or straining!

Deca helped a old shoulder injury from high school heal for me....

DECA has been added to regimes to help tons of guys with injuries, a friend mine used deca to help heal a bicep tear and improved his recovery time drastically..

Just because Deca was used does not mean it caused tendon damage.
Correlation does'nt equal causation ;)

Pretty interesting read, I have always found my tendons heal and feel noticeably better when I would completely come off all AAS.

My joints and muscles just feel better since I started using deca. I kept feeling like I was going to tear my pec( pulls and pain every bench workout). Now I can bench again with a better range of motion with no pain or strains.

Maybe the study points otherwise but I feel great on deca and my joints and muscles definitely feel better.

Good info thanks

Deca is great for collagen Synth, along with EQ, primo. The problem comes when you add testosterone to those at doses over 200mg a week. Test negates the collagen effects of each of those compounds.

This is why I think it's such a great idea on a cruise to add var, primo, deca, EQ. For me, 800mg primo with 150-200mg of test works perfectly well without sides and you should be building tendon strength in between cycles.

When running high doses of test with any amount of deca or the others, you still get the muscle building effects just lose the collagen effects. I know a handful of guys trying 300-600mg deca a week with their TRT test, and maybe caber to strengthen tendons and collagen synth, but also trying to see if they can keep libido up having some test in with it, if it does start to drop then caber will be added.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131