over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Side effects of long term Glutamine Supplementation

I don't know anybody that consumes 40g of glutamine per day but I didn't expect that many negative effects. Interesting to say the least

Too much of anything is bad for you. I bet people are closer to 40g per day then we realize. There's 5g added to my protein.

I believe Jay Cutler consumes 50-60g daily of glutamine

i have a story for you guys

my dad worked out a few times and got really sore and wanted to take some of my glutamine to help with soreness. so when he went to take the glutamine he used my protein scooper instead of a teaspoon! so he got probably 20 servings worth in one scoop.

I asked him if he had any side effects from that and he said that he felt fine.

my dad worked out a few times and got really sore and wanted to take some of my glutamine to help with soreness. so when he went to take the glutamine he used my protein scooper instead of a teaspoon! so he got probably 20 servings worth in one scoop.

a regular protein scoop is 25 grams and a teaspoon is 4-5 grams so he got more like 5-6 times the dosage which shouldnt be a problem at all.

I did this same thing and began projectile vomiting not too long after.

hahah i guess my pops has a iron stomach

I may have had as much as 70 grams. I was driving down the road and trying to dump L-glutamine into my protein drink au the same time. A ton fell into to it. I didn't want to throw the drink away and waste it so I chugged it. I was projectile vomiting all over my steering wheel and cloths within minutes. It was disgusting. hahaha...imagine you are driving down the freeway and puking everywhere at the same time.

I may have had as much as 70 grams. I was driving down the road and trying to dump L-glutamine into my protein drink au the same time. A ton fell into to it. I didn't want to throw the drink away and waste it so I chugged it. I was projectile vomiting all over my steering wheel and cloths within minutes. It was disgusting. hahaha...imagine you are driving down the freeway and puking everywhere at the same time.

thats freaking nasty man haha. im sure you learned from that mistake though haha.

Damn the irony! Trying to not waste your supps and it kicks you right in the stomach.

:'ood-smil

So, is this speculation? I see nothing in that article that specifically spells out damage??

Because there isn't anything in this article that states any health hazards from taking l-glutamine. Would I take a 60-100 grams a day? Hell no.

L-Glutamine is cheap and I honestly notice that I don't get sick when I'm taking it on a regular basis. Does L-Glutamine building muscle? I haven't experienced it if does....but who really knows.

I think you are just wasting your money.

Glutamine and Protein Synthesis — The other side of the coin

We've seen the theory that glutamine levels in the blood and muscle may decrease during or following exercise, and that this decrease correlates with reduced levels of protein synthesis. Several studies have addressed whether this relationship between glutamine and protein synthesis was a coincidental or a causal (meaning that one caused the other) relationship.

The first study compared the abilities of glutamine and the amino acid alanine to stimulate protein synthesis in rats with artificially reduced blood and muscle glutamine levels.(23) As expected, glutamine infusion increased intramuscular glutamine levels, while alanine didn't. Surprisingly, even depleting muscle glutamine levels by 60% had no effect on protein synthesis. What may also surprise you is that restoring blood and muscle glutamine levels to normal had no effect on protein synthesis compared to rats receiving no glutamine treatment! Additionally, even though whole body protein turnover didn't change, alanine stimulated protein synthesis!

In support of this contention, researchers studied the effect of glutamine supplementation on septic rats. Sepsis is a severely catabolic condition, during which glutamine levels (and protein synthesis) fall. Again, this study showed that despite increasing muscle glutamine levels to even higher than normal, it had no effect on protein synthesis or the catabolic state of the rats.(11)

Cumulatively, these studies show that decreased or increased levels of glutamine in the muscle has no effect on protein synthesis.

Another study, performed on people, examined the effect of adding glutamine to an amino acid mixture on muscle protein synthesis .(30) Ultimately, infusion of the original amino acid mixture increased protein synthesis by nearly 50%, but adding glutamine to this mix had no additional effect. This study is particularly relevant because most consumers of glutamine do so following a workout, along with other amino acids (or a whole protein).

Finally, Wusteman et al., used a drug to reduce muscle protein synthesis, along with muscle glutamine levels, in rats.(29) Much like the Olde Damink et al. study, restoring muscle glutamine levels to normal had no effect on protein synthesis. This study further supports the concept that blood and muscle glutamine levels have no bearing on protein synthesis and protein turnover.

Another One Bites the Dust

You may recall that the theory of exercise induced immunosuppression is often cited, based on the fact that glutamine levels decrease after exercise, as does our immunity.(10)

What we must now address is whether the relationship between the body’s glutamine stores and the effects of exercise on the immune system exhibit a causal or coincidental relationship (just as we did for protein synthesis). A recent review article in "The Journal of Applied Physiology" examined this connection between plasma glutamine and exercise-induced immunosuppression.(15)

The study admitted that there are conflicting reports about plasma glutamine levels following long duration exercise, repeated high intensity bouts, as well as short single high intensity bouts. This indicates that plasma glutamine concentrations may be affected differently depending on the intensity and duration of exercise.

Even data on blood glutamine concentrations following eccentric exercise is mixed, which can relate directly to bodybuilders and their use of heavy loads. Based on the relatively small reductions in plasma glutamine that might occur following exercise, supplementation with glutamine wouldn’t likely affect the immune cells.

More importantly, there are several studies showing that glutamine supplementation doesn't alter exercise-induced suppression of the immune system! The bottom line is that blood glutamine levels, whether they drop or not following exercise, don’t seem to affect immunity to any great extent, which precludes the use of glutamine for this reason.

Another recent review looked at over 75 research papers pertaining to the effect of glutamine on immunity and muscle growth, and came to the following conclusion: "Overall, although glutamine obviously plays important metabolic roles within the body, supplementation does not appear to provide consistent beneficial or therapeutic effects, except during certain catabolic situations. Glutamine availability, therefore, does not seem to be a limitation in many challenge situations."(19)

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws