over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Restoring insulin sensitivity after long term GH use

scmtnboy

IFBB Pro
IFBB PROS
Registered
Been using generics from same provider pretty steady for about 4 years. Maybe one or two breaks for a few months but the last two years pretty steady experience for maybe like 2 weeks around a show. My fasted blood glucose always seemed ok. I was diligent about testing it But every time I did it was ok. There were times it creeped around 100 but never over. I generally supplement 500mg Berberine 3x day. Well after my Last show I was enjoying a really nice rebound just on my 200mg test and was using around 7iu GH eating lots of good and staying relatively lean. Somedays I was using a little humalog.. 10-15iu usually around my workout. I checked my blood sugar a few weeks ago and it was 120. Checked it again the next day and same thing. Dropped carbs in half for a few days and no change. Decide to drop GH about two weeks ago and it’s still elevated. Just curious if anyone has dealt with this and how long it took to ge track to normal. I’m going to try and stick with the Berberine. I’ve thought about going keto for a few weeks then gradually re-Introducing carbs. I’ve also used 5iu humalog upon waking and 1 hour later reading was down to like 75 where it should be. I’ve heard this can be good to give your pancreas a break. I’m thinking just a few months off the GH and moderate carbs and some cardio which I do year round should do the trick. I’m interested in real world experience and feedback. I’ll keep you all posted on my progress. If I left out any thing important let me know. Thx in advance guys [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would personally ensure I am in a caloric deficit for a good 8 weeks or so and lower my body fat as much as possible. This should certainly get you responding again!

What is your BG 2:30 to 2:45 post meals?

Yeah I’ll keep an eye on that. I checked before meal 3 yesterday after no carbs meal 1 and 25g meal 2 and it was 77. I did take 5iu humalog yesterday ao that might have kept it lower throughout the day. I’m bringing my meter to work with me and will keep playing around this. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing revolutionary here, but the more things you do that are known to positively impact BG regulation, the better your results will be.

* For one, go off the GH...or at the minimum, drastically reduce the dose. GH can have potentially catastrophic effects on insulin sensitivity, thereby resulting in substantially elevated BG levels. Research shows that just 5 iu per day is all it takes to bring someone into a state of clinical insulin resistance. Unfortunately, many bodybuilders underestimate the impact that GH can have in insulin senstivity. It has played a LARGE role in the widespread diabetic dilemma facing many of this generation's pro bodybuilders.

* Do cardio

* Reduce carbohydrate intake

* Use Berberine at 500 mg 3-4X per day

* Use GW at 10-20 mg/day (shameless plug: masupps.com). GW has a profound effect on insulin senstivity, along with numerous other health benefits. It ranks close to the top of the supplement list when improvements in overall metabolic health is the goal.

* DNP: While DNP gets a bad rap due to misuse/abuse, low-moderate doses can have a profoundly positive impact in insulin sensitivity, with no noteworthy negative effect on health. I am talking like 200 mg/day, max. This dose is very tolerable, while still providing very significant benefits.

* Get good sleep--preferably at least 7-8 hours of restful sleep per night. Skimping on sleep (or getting proo quality sleep) can drastically effect BG levels by allowing cortisol to run rampant.

* This may not apply to you, but if you are using CNS stimulants, either go off or significantly cut back on your overall daily intake This does not apply to coffee, as coffee does not negatively impact insulin sensitivity like synthetic caffeine (or other stims can). This is due to some of the other nutritional components found in coffee beans, which help to offset the negative effects that caffeine can potentially have on insulin senstivity. However, abuse can override this protective effect through adrenal stress/burnout, so keep your coffee intake to 2 cups per day, max.

* Attempt to minimize overall daily stress levels. If stress is unavoidable or there are other factors in your life leading to overproduction of adrenal hormones, it would be helpful to employ a cortisol supplement such as Cortisolve, by MPA supps (Matt Porter's prior company).

* If it applies to you, discontinue using exogenous insulin.

* Lower your body fat levels (this only applies to thosee who carry a significant amount of BF, not those guys who are already quite lean).

* Maintain normal estrogen levels--do not over use AI's.

These are some of the more common ways to deal with insulin resistance. While they may not all be your cup of tea, many of them can be easily implemented without having to radically change your daily lifestyle.

Last edited:
cardio, weights, intermittent fasting, stay lean, drop GH completely or down to 2 IU daily.

Would it still be considered an insulin sensitivity issue if it's only the fasted glucose that's high?

I'm having the same issue, but 2 hours post meal I am always in the 70's and 80's. That almost seems low after eating...

Would it still be considered an insulin sensitivity issue if it's only the fasted glucose that's high?

I'm having the same issue, but 2 hours post meal I am always in the 70's and 80's. That almost seems low after eating...

I think waiting the 2 hours after eating you should be in normal range.. that’s what my doc tells me anyway.

What I see a lot of people forgetting is that is not just about Blood Glucose levels fasting or fed, it’s also about blood insulin levels..

If you have a fasting BG of 70 but your Blood Insulin levels are at 30 then that’s still dog shit and needs attention...

BG levels is just a piece of the puzzle...

What I see a lot of people forgetting is that is not just about Blood Glucose levels fasting or fed, it’s also about blood insulin levels..

If you have a fasting BG of 70 but your Blood Insulin levels are at 30 then that’s still dog shit and needs attention...

BG levels is just a piece of the puzzle...

How do you check insulin levels?

As mentioned, insulin levels play an important role (duh! LOL) in evaluating insulin resistance.

You can calculate the product of BG and insulin to get a better indicator of insulin sensitivity / resistance.

**broken link removed**

It's possible that stress, white coat syndrome can elevate blood glucose (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4931800/), so testing it at home when rested can be important.

-S

DNP is a miracle worker in this regard. I've seen it "fix" a pre-diabetic more or less.

As mentioned, insulin levels play an important role (duh! LOL) in evaluating insulin resistance.

You can calculate the product of BG and insulin to get a better indicator of insulin sensitivity / resistance.

**broken link removed**

It's possible that stress, white coat syndrome can elevate blood glucose (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4931800/), so testing it at home when rested can be important.

-S
Blood work is crucial to determining 3 month average BG levels. The home test is influenced by many factors and unless you are doing it daily and keeping record , it may throw you off.
Lots of good info on maintaining/restoring healthy insulin sensitivity above.
Things that influence high BG level NOT related to insulin sesitivity directly are:
-Stress in general,
-Stressing your HPTA due to polyhormone fluctuation (This is often unaccounted but VERY influential),
-Estrogen levels and AI use BIG ONE|
-And off course SLEEP because if any of the above is NOT attended to. You will not achieve rem 3 and 4 sleep for an appreciable announce of time and the stress from that will be directly reflected in your BG level.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear