YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reverse crunches - best exercise for lower abs?

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
On this cut cycle and trying to get ripped abs and obliques for the first time (spent years bulking as a fat boy back when I used to do this), and have been searching for a good exercise for the lower abs. This week I've begun reverse crunches and not only can I feel my lower abs contracting but there are visible changes in the mirror as the lower V is thickening with muscle for the first time. Just thought I'd share this with y'all and see if you have any other tips. One thing I am concerned about is the need to add weight, since I'm not certain the proper way to go about that.

Maybe not the best for total abdominal activation but reverse crunches really help with spinal flexion which goes along way IMO

On this cut cycle and trying to get ripped abs and obliques for the first time (spent years bulking as a fat boy back when I used to do this), and have been searching for a good exercise for the lower abs. This week I've begun reverse crunches and not only can I feel my lower abs contracting but there are visible changes in the mirror as the lower V is thickening with muscle for the first time. Just thought I'd share this with y'all and see if you have any other tips. One thing I am concerned about is the need to add weight, since I'm not certain the proper way to go about that.

Reverse crunches are great for lower ab activation (provided they’re done correctly and it sounds like you are). High pulley cable crunches (again done correctly) are great too. Stalder leg lifts are probably the hardest lower ab exercise I’ve ever tried. Just watch for quad cramping if you try those.

Hanging Leg Raises.....

ALL ab exercises will work to some degree and I love reverse crunches. One thing I see most people doing wrong on abs is just trying to move lots of weight on crunch machine. Well is that really much different than any other exercise.... Any way, mind muscle connection, mentally contract the abs, feel them squeezing. No swinging the body, no arm curls on the ab crunch machine. The weight involved is less relevant then the focus put on desired area. Instead of adding weight to reverse curls, slow your rep time in half, pause at top and bottom for 1/2 second. Tell me again if you need to add weight. Don`t forget , abs come out in the kitchen, sculpted in the gym. Good luck

Since you say you're trying to get ripped abs and obliques for the first time, it sounds like you've never been really lean before.

While there are ways to target the lower abs, I think there's a genetic component to being able to see them. I've seen many pro bodybuilders in contests who always had their top 4 showing, but could never get the lower 2 visible. I've been a legit 6% body fat multiple times and have never had the lower 2, only the upper 4.

Train them, but don't get discouraged if you never see them. Many of the best don't.

Yup 200g protein, trace carbs and fats, lot of water, plus Tren Enan, T3, and DNP. High carb day once or twice a week. Loads of low intensity cardio. Diet is definitely on point.

Fortunately I can already see my upper abs and obliques through a layer of fat when I flexed them. Three months ago that would have been impossible. But I ran a few kits of GH along with some DNP, orals, and Tren Ace and cut down quite a bit. But I had to come off for a little while and now I am jumping back on to get truly shredded.

Now I can feel about 8 abdominal muscles, 4 rows, top to bottom. So I am pretty excited about what will be underneath. Though they aren't all perfectly straight and rectangular, but rather have that wave-like shape to them. My only concern is with loose skin around the belt line in the front on top of the V and on the rear portion of my side/flanks.

DIET is critical but so is training. My abs don't pop unless I train them.

^THIS

i used not to train abs and have to diet REALLY REALLY hard to get my abs to show,to the extent that i'm losing muscle

All standard ab exercises will work. Just pick your fav ones you feel the most and hit them hard. I would train abs a few times per week if you want to change them fast. Use a variety of movements with bodyweight and added resistance. No need for high volume each day just make them short and intense. I would recommend supersetting as well. The less days in the week the more volume and the more frequency the less volume per day. 10-20 mins 3 days per week is a good amount to start with and adjust if needed.

It's true you don't need to go heavy and form is most important but occasionally it's good to up the weight. Everything should be slow and controlled. Think of your abs as a sheet and you want to shortern and lengthen it so full rom is important. My fav exercise for abs are machine crunches which goes against many people's views. The key like with anything is the mind-muscle connection. I can do crunches on the floor were I am barely moving and the connection is still there.

I would recommend things like crunches, hanging leg lifts, high pulley cable crunches (different angles), reverse crunches (off a bench), decline sit ups (weighted) and russian twists (weighted) etc. Any weighted exercises can be taken to failure then the weight dropped and carried on to increase intensity.

I do not like doing crunches but are very developed, I only do 3 or 4 sets of 15 reps once a week. Even with a fat in the abd area, they stand out, which is not good, because it makes you believe that you are leaner than you are. :mad:

John meadows put up a pretty awesome video on abs "Get Washboard abs with this killer ab workout"

link: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HBOQv6tUqU&t=489s"]Get Washboard abs with this killer ab workout - YouTube[/ame]

Been following it for a few weeks now and intend to keep up this routine until the end of cutting prep.

Not sure if its the combo/technique's he lays out but my abs are on fire after each workout, really good mind muscle connection, sometimes too much and they lock up/cramp pretty good lol

Anyways specifically for lower abs, hanging leg raises, can definitely feel it, keep legs straight

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828