over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Blood glucose question

Powerlifter

Registered
I got blood work back a few weeks ago and my fasted glucose was 123. I bought a blood glucose monitor and started taking Berberine and Ala 3x a day. I’ve tested my fasting glucose a few times in the morning and it has been between 113-123.

Today I had 60g carbs during training and then 92g carbs after training. Before my pwo meal I took 500mg Berberine and 300mg ala. I tested my glucose 2 hours after my meal and it was 89.

Next time I’ll test my glucose after my PWO meal without the Berberine and ala and compare the results.

My question is, do you think the Berberine and ala caused my glucose to be normal after a meal? It hasn't had any significant effect on my fasted blood glucose despite taking them both 3x a day for a few weeks. Could I be experiencing dawn phenomenon and that’s why my glucose is high in the morning?

I’m not taking any GH, peptides or insulin.

Thanks

As far as i know dawn phenomenon happens very early morning and not after you got up regularly.

The bg value would make me very cautious. I would frequent a doctor and also get HBA1c bloodwork.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L09 mit Tapatalk

Thanks, it was routine blood work so A1c wasn’t tested. I’ll make sure to get it tested next time I get blood work done.

Hey bro I’m dealing with the same dilemma. 120 is too high for fasting bg, don’t listen to the stupidity that you read on the net about what “normal” levels should be today. They raised the values years ago as so many people are insulin resistant cause the average American’s diet is shit. It shouldn’t be more than 90ish fasting. Sounds like you need to try and re-sensitize your body. One school of thought on the matter is add some exogenous insulin for a while to give the pancreas a break. Cutting the sugar and carbs is a given. What’s your diet like?

The high end of the normal range was much higher decades ago . And has been lowered consistenly throughout the years to the 100 that is the high end for fasted. And 140 2 hours after eating. Which I would feel is to high. Mine is usually in the 70-90 range non-fasted, but I do not eat a high carb diet throughout the day.

Last edited:
What I don’t understand is, how can my glucose be lower 2 hours after eating almost 100g carbs than it is fasting first thing in the morning?

My fasting glucose was 109 yesterday morning. Still high but it has come down a little.

I have changed my diet a few days ago. On non lifting days, my carbs are very low and my meals consist of protein and fats. On training days, I only have carbs during training and post workout.

What I don’t understand is, how can my glucose be lower 2 hours after eating almost 100g carbs than it is fasting first thing in the morning?

My fasting glucose was 109 yesterday morning. Still high but it has come down a little.

I have changed my diet a few days ago. On non lifting days, my carbs are very low and my meals consist of protein and fats. On training days, I only have carbs during training and post workout.

the glucose demand you created during training could certainly have driven the blood level down, even with the carb consumption.
Switching your off days to pro/fat is decent way to go. A couple things to look at, even with that switch
1. Are you in a surplus the majority of time?
2. What was the carb content on on/off days and whats the training frequency?

As a former powerlifter I did many dirty bulks with tons of carbs. Even when I ate healthy I was eating atleast 400g carbs per day. So I’m sure this has a lot to do with my blood sugar now.

I’m training 3x a week now because of my schedule but will be going to 4x a week again in about a month. My off day carbs are about 65g per day coming from foods like almonds, veggies etc. My training day carbs are about 160g from and Intra drink and post workout meal.

I got blood work back a few weeks ago and my fasted glucose was 123. I bought a blood glucose monitor and started taking Berberine and Ala 3x a day. I’ve tested my fasting glucose a few times in the morning and it has been between 113-123.

Today I had 60g carbs during training and then 92g carbs after training. Before my pwo meal I took 500mg Berberine and 300mg ala. I tested my glucose 2 hours after my meal and it was 89.

Next time I’ll test my glucose after my PWO meal without the Berberine and ala and compare the results.

My question is, do you think the Berberine and ala caused my glucose to be normal after a meal? It hasn't had any significant effect on my fasted blood glucose despite taking them both 3x a day for a few weeks. Could I be experiencing dawn phenomenon and that’s why my glucose is high in the morning?

I’m not taking any GH, peptides or insulin.

Thanks

Sometimes blood glucose shoots down fast after a meal due to reactive insulin secretion after the meal. Some people go hypoglycemic after a meal because the meal causes them to produce a lot of insulin. This might why your results look like that. This is called "reactive hypoglycemia"

What is your approximated estimated body fat % and how active are you in your job/frequency of cardiovascular exercise?

Significant fat loss can reverse type 2 diabetes in some cases, especially with pre-diabetic levels like yours, it depends on a few factors though.

Last edited:
I’d estimate my body fat in the mid teens. I dropped almost 40lbs since May as I was holding a lot of water and fat. I average about 7,000 steps a day. I don’t do any cardio.

Thanks for all the replies.

I’d estimate my body fat in the mid teens. I dropped almost 40lbs since May as I was holding a lot of water and fat. I average about 7,000 steps a day. I don’t do any cardio.

Thanks for all the replies.

You should shoot for 10-12%, that's ideal for health. I have seen big drops in BP and glucose in many people by dropping down body fat %.

You have to do cardio, there is not a single more important thing for your health. No supplement, diet or anything will come close.

Cardio and fat loss is your best chance of reversing your insulin resistance.

I think you should make many measurements with different combinations of foods to know how your own body works.

80-90 would be ideal, 100 the maximum safety limit.

If you lose weight these numbers are likely to be improbed.

How long does it take blood glucose levels / insulin sensitivity to return back to normal after taking HGH?

How long does it take blood glucose levels / insulin sensitivity to return back to normal after taking HGH?

Cardio+strength training is a proven combo for signficantly reducing HbA1c levels (glycated hemoglobin). The A1c reading gives you a rough estimate of your average blood glucose levels for the last 3 months.

Otherwise, you are also a great candidate for an oral anti-glycemic medication like metformin. The drug was discovered from a plant, the French Lilac.

Myself, i would try lifestyle intervention/fat loss first. Kill two birds with one stone, look better/feel better.

Regarding the HGH/Insulin resistance question:

My fasted blood glucose which averages 70 mg/dL went up to 100 mg/dL when first starting HGH at 4 IU daily. After 5 weeks, it came back down to 70 mg/dL so my body adjusted.

Not sure how fast insulin sensitivity would recover if your developed resistance. If i had to make an assumption, 3-4 weeks since that's how long it takes HGH to raise IGF-1 levels close to max. IGF-1 can interfere with insulin receptors as they are very similar (IGF stands for "insulin like growth factor). Although studies have shown increase and decrease in insulin sensitivity from IGF-1. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Last edited:
Cardio+strength training is a proven combo for signficantly reducing HbA1c levels (glycated hemoglobin). The A1c reading gives you a rough estimate of your average blood glucose levels for the last 3 months.

Otherwise, you are also a great candidate for an oral anti-glycemic medication like metformin. The drug was discovered from a plant, the French Lilac.

Myself, i would try lifestyle intervention/fat loss first. Kill two birds with one stone, look better/feel better.

Regarding the HGH/Insulin resistance question:

My fasted blood glucose which averages 70 mg/dL went up to 100 mg/dL when first starting HGH at 4 IU daily. After 5 weeks, it came back down to 70 mg/dL so my body adjusted.

Not sure how fast insulin sensitivity would recover if your developed resistance. If i had to make an assumption, 3-4 weeks since that's how long it takes HGH to raise IGF-1 levels close to max. IGF-1 can interfere with insulin receptors as they are very similar (IGF stands for "insulin like growth factor). Although studies have shown increase and decrease in insulin sensitivity from IGF-1. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Thank you for sharing your experience. So it took 5 weeks to recover from 4 iu's.

I took 2 iu's for a very short period of time (8 weeks), and still have elevated fasted blood glucose. I stopped about 3-4 weeks ago. I also experimented with a small amount of IGF-1 LR3 (50mcg post workout), so that probably isn't helping.

I still have some occasional tingling/numbness in hands and fingers. Usually just when I am stretching. Getting better over time, but surprised it takes this long to recover.

Thank you for sharing your experience. So it took 5 weeks to recover from 4 iu's.

I took 2 iu's for a very short period of time (8 weeks), and still have elevated fasted blood glucose. I stopped about 3-4 weeks ago. I also experimented with a small amount of IGF-1 LR3 (50mcg post workout), so that probably isn't helping.

I still have some occasional tingling/numbness in hands and fingers. Usually just when I am stretching. Getting better over time, but surprised it takes this long to recover.

I was still on the 4 IU HGH at week 5 when my blood glucose went back to normal. I never stopped taking the HGH but my blood glucose went back to normal on it's own.

Did you know your baseline glucose prior to HGH? Did you gain any weight in those 8 weeks?

I was still on the 4 IU HGH at week 5 when my blood glucose went back to normal. I never stopped taking the HGH but my blood glucose went back to normal on it's own.

Did you know your baseline glucose prior to HGH? Did you gain any weight in those 8 weeks?

Yes, baseline was 90.

I gained 30+ lbs in 8 weeks. I just came off a long cutting diet when I started, so I was super depleted. I also started Endo prescribed TRT at 200mg week (my total test levels were under 100 to start). Added 2iu HGH and 50mcg IGF-1 LR3 to keep the fat gain to a minimum. Before that I hadn't touched anything in over 15 years.

Last edited:
Yes, baseline was 90.

I gained 30+ lbs in 8 weeks. I just came off a long cutting diet when I started, so I was super depleted when I started. I also just started TRT at 200mg week. Added 2iu HGH and 50mcg IGF-1 LR3 to keep the fat loss to a minimum. Before that I hadn't touched anything in over 15 years.

Also, it's only the fasted glucose that's high. Throughout the day my blood glucose is actually lower, stays around 100 2 hours after meals.

Yes, baseline was 90.

I gained 30+ lbs in 8 weeks. I just came off a long cutting diet when I started, so I was super depleted. I also started Endo prescribed TRT at 200mg week (my total test levels were under 100 to start). Added 2iu HGH and 50mcg IGF-1 LR3 to keep the fat gain to a minimum. Before that I hadn't touched anything in over 15 years.

You may have increased insulin resistance from the weight gain. How much of it was fat?

I would not worry with your levels, but doing regular cardio, lifting and getting lean should bring it back into the normal range.

If you can: run a fasting insulin panel.

Even with normal bg levels; people can have dysfunctional pancreatic function via hyperinsulinemia

If diabetes is something one is concerned with (genetic risk factors+ lifestyle issues aka bodybuilding); it’s smart to do an oral glucose tolerance test and fasting insulin panel.

An A1C and fasting glucose only paints a small picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner