over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What should I focus on this offseason??

bulldog21

Featured Member/Kilo Klub Member
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Thanks to all the judges for your input on my last critique.

My goal for my next show is to place in the top 10 in a national level show. I need help in knowing what bodyparts to focus on this offseason.

*Edit* I am 5'11" and weigh right at 225 in these pictures, roughly 15 pounds heavier than last year...

Many Thanks,
bulldog21

Attachments

• PICT0457.jpg
    PICT0457.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 861
  • PICT0459.jpg
    PICT0459.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 656
  • PICT0460.jpg
    PICT0460.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 590
  • PICT0461.jpg
    PICT0461.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 536
  • PICT0476.JPG
    PICT0476.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Last one taken in morning before prejudging.

Attachments

• PICT0452.JPG
    PICT0452.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 910
You look very good and in great condition! If I had to pick you apart I would say you could work on arm thickness both bi and tri could come up and also work on lat width to increase your taper. Your legs show very thick and it would compliment your physique to try and add some upper body thickness while maintaining your current waist line.

Now how you acheive these goals....that part is up to you my freind! Good luck on the national stage!

You look awesome Bulldog!

I would agree with VulgarDisplay on your arms and back width. I would also think your physique could use a bit more sweep in your quads to set off your "X" shape. Wider up top, wider down below.

Good luck and can't wait to see you on the national level!

Vulgar and Crimson Thanks for your imput!

That is what I love about this sport, I know overall my whole physique needs to come up but I know that certain areas that I know (like my arms, v-taper, outer quads, and hams) need to come up big time.....Back to work.

Crimson, not sure if I told you this before or not but your avatar Rocks!! Strongmind and I love that movie, Christian Bales is a good actor imo...

No prob....

Pat Bateman is my hero...I guess, kind of, not really.... :D

BTW...that's a very fine chardonnay you're not drinking.

Bulldog...

Did you catch him in the Machinist?? Rather disturbing the condition he was in for the film!

Yeah, he's like 6'1" and got down to 125-130lbs. A few months later he was a flabby 210lbs for Batman Begins. Crazy!

Congrats Bulldog!!! You made ProM proud!!!

Aside from what VulgarD and CrimsonG replied. I'd like to look more at your presentation. I think you could work on some of your poses. From pictures you posted....front relax. I would sit back a little, tiny arch in your back. This will allow your delts to be more pronounced. In your rear double biceps, rotate your biceps a little more to bring your peaks out. Maybe it'll help to bring your hand/wrist towards the back. Does that make sense?

I think I do IG, you mean rotate biceps toward the camera? Yeah I need to work on my flexability more to be able to rotate them more.....

THANKS!!

You're welcome!

How is off-season going for you so far?

It is going good, training is going good, I have been eating and eating and eating....I am back to my pre-diet weight and 3 more pounds...264. The way things are going I am taking a year off to move into the supers and bring up lagging bodyparts as well as just try to become a beast while trying to keep good lines and aesthetics.....

bulldog21

You're showing a noticeable increase in your fullness and size. However, there seems to be some variation in how much improvement is needed as I move from photo to photo. This may be a simple matter of presentation.

I concur that the arms need size, but this does not appear to be a weak point in all photos.

The coloring appears to make it difficult to see any peaks. Some products, most notably DreamTan, will tan the skin a fast, solid, deep color, which does not allow it to lighten at the peaks. The lightening of the peaks is a strong visual cue, making the size of the peaks more pronounced.

Thanks Lou, you have a PM.

Here are some more photos I just recieved from a friend of mine who took them, this might show my physique a little better I Don't know.

*EDIT* For some reason I cannot resize these pics as they keep resizing and looking really grainy....:mad:

Attachments

• franco4-2.jpg
    franco4-2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 405
  • franco3-2.jpg
    franco3-2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
I think all the advice so far is very good.

While the development improvements are valid, I'm going to line up with Island Girl and my good friend with the good eye Lou and say that a bigger contribution to your future placement would be working on presentation.

In addition to IG's comment on the back double bi, I think you have your right leg too far away from your body in both directions -- too far back and too far to the side. As a result I see two separate masses of the two legs which can't hope to balance the mass of your upper body. Therefore, they don't look as big as they actually are. Bring that foot in closer. Instead of relying on distance from your body to be able to pop the hams (which is, I assume, why you are doing it that way), turn the heel in a little more toward the centerline of your body. This twist should pop the ham just fine, and it will in addition reveal more of the outer quad therefore giving your leg more mass.

In your front "relaxed" stance, you have your hands way out in front of the body. As a result, a judge is looking at your arms from a perspective that is their narrowest, i.e., at the crown of the bicep. WITHOUT rolling your shoulders forward (which narrows them and collapses the upper pec) bring your hands back more in the same plane as your body/elbows. As you do this, you'll see that the angle from which we view the arms becomes more like a front lat spread and we see more size. Your present choice of stance creates an immediate image of small arms which you then have to struggle to overcome in the judges' minds.

In each of the other mandatories, you need to take care to choose a position that places your arms at advantage, rather than disadvantage.

So...in the side chest, the currently popular approach of having your elbow away from the body is bad for you (it's actually bad for most competitors except someone like Eddie Moyzan who almost wants to make his arms look smaller!). Bring the elbow in against your torso until you can use your lat to "push" against the tri and pop it out. Use your ribs to push out the bi. You should also experiment with the position of your fist. Palm up creates maximum peak -- but if you need size then putting your fist in the same position as for hammer curls will lengthen it and fill it out and make it bigger. Also, the fist in hammer curl position will pop the brachialis out (just as the hammer curl exercise is the one to develop the brachialis), and usually folks find that it pops the crown of the delts and the rear delt more than the other position.

So...still thinking about arms...in the back lat you don't want the hands too far around infront of the body because that puts the tris at a bad angle such that the arms look thin. The farther back on the side of your body you can bring the hands in the back lat (while still getting the lats out), the more the arms will be rotated to show more biceps, and to show the depth of the tris.

You've observed that you need to work on flexibility in order to pose well. You are correct -- not just you but everyone. This is very visible for you in the side triceps in that your torso is not being presented in an advantageous way.

We are supposed to pay attention to the particular body part for which a pose is named. However, good judges are also judging the whole physique all the time regardless of the name of the pose. So you really have to look carefully at your whole physique in each pose and choose a presentation that shows what you want.

Also remember that in the mandatories the photographers and the audience don't count. You're trying to present your physique to give the judges the information YOU want them to have in order to make their decision. So don't get sucked in to what looks cool in the magazines!

Now for the good news! :) You've got a good physique that's ready for the national level. Your goal of top 10 is reasonable for next year. You look tight, but my suspicion is that you are a little flat in these photos, and that (like 90% of competitors) you actually looked better the next morning!

If you fill up a little more without spilling, then as the muscle expands, the separation deepens (biceps/triceps; quads; quad/hamstring from the side; etc.). Too many competitors look at themselves, think they don't have the necessary separation, and "diet" more. The result is that they lose size and have LESS separation. And, by the way, it's separation that will win you the show, not striations.

Hope that makes sense! If not...well...I'm just one of those damn judges...and we know they don't know nuffin' ! :)

Good luck. I'll look forward to seeing you next year!

Ken T.

Thanks Ken, Lou, Crimson, IG,& Vulgar Display......I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out and give me some critques and some things I need to work on/ bring up for the next time I compete....Now if you would excuse me I have ALOT of work to do, time to get after it.:D

From the recent pics I've seen of you....off-season is truly off-seaon for you 'eh?

I'm just playin' with you Franco! You have a great sense of humor and you know I'm just having a little fun. :D

IslandGirl said:
From the recent pics I've seen of you....off-season is truly off-seaon for you 'eh?

I'm just playin' with you Franco! You have a great sense of humor and you know I'm just having a little fun. :D

LOL yes off season is off season :D I know you are just playin, don't worry its like I say if you can't laugh at yourself sometimes then you are taking yourself WAY too seriously...:p :)

Oh BTW IG I won't look like I got stung by a bee the next set of pics.....I plan on being more "svelte" if you will.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws