over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MOST PEOPLE lift way TOO HEAVY!!

BigNShredded

Banned
Most bodybuilders lift way too heavy for OPTIMAL MUSCLE GROWTH! I see it everyday! Bodybuilders are NOT powerlifters, and although there is indeed a direct correlation between strength and muscle mass, you still need to be able perform the proper amount of REPETITIONS!

It's NOT about how strong you are; it's about how strong you are IN THE 8-12 REP RANGE! It doesn't matter how much weight you can do 3 times! Listen, if you need a SPOT just for a "lift-off", chances are you are too heavy(there are exceptions). If you can only do 3, 4, or even just 5 reps, YOU ARE GOING TOO HEAVY! Trust me, you will grow MUCH BETTER from a SOLID, CLEAN 8-12 repetitions than you will from a SLOPPY 4-6. Heck, even a perfect 4-6 will not build as much muscle as 8-12, but going very heavy occasionally does have it's benefits as well. For instace, the stronger you are, the more weight you can do in the 8-12 rep rage! ;)

Give it a try, I guarantee you wiill realize that you've been lifting too heavy and it is actually holding you back. So, take all of that STRENGTH that you have built-up, and start REPPING THAT SHIT OUT!! LOTS OF SETS TOO! At least 15-20 for all muscles! :)

Last edited:
Most bodybuilders lift way too heavy for OPTIMAL MUSCLE GROWTH! I see it everyday! Bodybuilders are NOT powerlifters, and although there is indeed a direct correlation between strength and muscle mass, you still need to be able perform the proper amount of REPETITIONS!

It's NOT about how strong you are; it's about how strong you are IN THE 8-12 REP RANGE! It doesn't matter how much weight you can do 3 times! Listen, if you need a SPOT just for a "lift-off", chances are you are too heavy(there are exceptions). If you can only do 3, 4, or even just 5 reps, YOU ARE GOING TOO HEAVY! Trust me, you will grow MUCH BETTER from a SOLID, CLEAN 8-12 repetitions than you will from a SLOPPY 4-6. Heck, even a perfect 4-6 will not build as much muscle as 8-12, but going very heavy occasionally does have it's benefits as well. For instace, the stronger you are, the more weight you can do in the 8-12 rep rage! ;)

Give it a try, I guarantee you wiill realize that you've been lifting too heavy and it is actually holding you back. So, take all of that STRENGTH that you have built-up, and start REPPING THAT SHIT OUT!! LOTS OF SETS TOO! At least 15-20 for all muscles! :)

you are by far one of my favorite posters on this entire fucking board!!! i agree 100% with everything you have said, now if you would have told me this 8 yrs ago i would have told you to shut up, but we all grow older and WISER!!!! don't we ;) excellent post ross!

Nice post Ross. I realized this a little bit ago... now Im doing what I use to for 3 or 4 for 15 reps.... simply is the best way to grow! Great advice!

Ok Ross what about Branch Warren form and way too heavy?

I put on a lot of what muscle I have lifting heavy. Problem is it tore me the fuck up. This year I started out lifting Gironda style and starting making gains like crazy, and I wasn't taking a beating.

I like to mix it up.. alwaya incorporate some low rep sets to build strength, high 3-5 rep max = more weight on your 8-12 rep max

I like to mix it up.. alwaya incorporate some low rep sets to build strength, high 3-5 rep max = more weight on your 8-12 rep max

Now what I like to do is train heavy for 4 to 6 weeks and then lighten it up and do more volume.

Here is a great example --

I was STRONGER when I was 215 very lean pounds.... 415 incline for 5-6 reps, 415 front squats for 8 reps etc etc.....

Now I am BIGGER and not as strong at 270 lbs.....soon after those silly lifts my body begin to crumble one ligament at a time...partial pec tears, knee probs you name it...

Now I train much lighter --- much higher volume and I am rounder, fuller and have bigger muscles :lightbulb:

I will lift some heavy weight for CERTAIN movements but LISTEN to my body when my instincts say "matt, dont risk 3 months recovering for practically zero benefit lifting this heavy ass weight"

-FF

Not a BB but I was a power lifter and I would have to agree 100% with what BigNShredded said. There is a BIG difference between a BB and powerlifter!!!I've read some of BigNShredded posts before. Smart man right here.
Pax et bonum.

rev wtw

i agree, but this is common knowlegde

ALL OF YOUR posts and threads
should be posted in the BEGINNERS section
of the forum.....

where you can get these things you say to the YOUNGER
lifters.....LIKE YOURSELF

:cool:

While I do agree with higher reps being better for muscle growth, why do people always need to act like they can only choose one rep range? Throwing in some low rep sets is nice, and if done before a higher rep set it can actually stimulate the nervous system so you can lift more weight in a following higher rep set. I personally love to do legs in a similar way that DC uses, a heavy lower rep set followed by a high rep widowmaker for 20 reps or so.

I agree with you BNS. But variation is also important.

I do much lower reps than I should, particullary for a guy who is nearly 49, but some may say I could pass for 47 1/2.

But 8-12 reps for multiple sets is much harder than 4 reps. I had a high rep day today. High volume knocks me down much harder than high intensity.

Good thread, I know I need to be reminded of this. Thanks.

I love this video by Kai Greene on the subject. What's even better, he's known for heavy lifts (like his squats). Still, he agrees with the premise we're discussing here.

:lightbulb:Ross you should compile all of your "rules" into one major work almost like the "bible" so that others can learn and attain the golden age physique also.
:a:tion-sm

I agree with Ross on this one def a true statement. I typically go between 8-15 reps If you are going to failure then you are getting the most out of the exercise. You get better results the more time under tension. I started a variety of different things right before I started dieting and I was getting good results fast. I was doing some of the Haney Rambods FST7 Training and also doing some Jason Huh Reps on arms and doing more of a Ben Pakalski Leg workout which is a max weight of what you can do 20 reps with and rep 20 is failure.You get awesome pumps from these workouts and seem to grow alot better.Too bad I did not know of these things a couple years ago. HEAVY WEIGHTS FOR LOW REPS TEAR SHIT!

I say bullshit. Its about finding a balance of heavy low rep weights on some exercises and then finding the other half of the 8-12 rep range, or even 15-20If your sitting and telling yourself that 8-12 is the only rep range that spurs some amount of growth you are seriously being 1 dimensional in your training approach IMHO.
I do all three ranges, variety is the spice of life and its good to switch things up and give the body some new stimulus like ultra heavy once in a while.
You shouldnt be depending on just one set of principles for training, thats just limiting as hell IMO.
Somedays I go in with the mind set that Im gonna high rep the shit out of things, sometimes its 10 reps...8-12, or 20-30 it depends on a lot of things, how recovered I am , how much energy I may or may not have, the diet Im currently employing.
I am by far no guru but after 22 years of this I have learned a thing or two.
I have seen guys use ultra heavy and build terrific physiques and seen other guys just pump out reps and also build nice physiques...can I say either one was wrong? NO.
B-boy I respect your post I have seen and read your post over the years and I know that at one time you did lift heavier but now are getting better results with lower weights and more reps, but at one point you did lift a lot heavier if Im not mistaken.

I say bullshit. Its about finding a balance of heavy low rep weights on some exercises and then finding the other half of the 8-12 rep range, or even 15-20If your sitting and telling yourself that 8-12 is the only rep range that spurs some amount of growth you are seriously being 1 dimensional in your training approach IMHO.
I do all three ranges, variety is the spice of life and its good to switch things up and give the body some new stimulus like ultra heavy once in a while.
You shouldnt be depending on just one set of principles for training, thats just limiting as hell IMO.
Somedays I go in with the mind set that Im gonna high rep the shit out of things, sometimes its 10 reps...8-12, or 20-30 it depends on a lot of things, how recovered I am , how much energy I may or may not have, the diet Im currently employing.
I am by far no guru but after 22 years of this I have learned a thing or two.
I have seen guys use ultra heavy and build terrific physiques and seen other guys just pump out reps and also build nice physiques...can I say either one was wrong? NO.
B-boy I respect your post I have seen and read your post over the years and I know that at one time you did lift heavier but now are getting better results with lower weights and more reps, but at one point you did lift a lot heavier if Im not mistaken.

You must not have FULLY read my post. ;) I already stated that heavier sets within the 5-8 rep range are useful for gaining strength, and subsequently. size. However, this is about optimal HYPERTROPHY, and for that, you should not be performing most of your sets in the extremely low rep ranges. Most people are lifting TOO HEAVY. Focus primarily on a full stretch and contraction on each repetition, and then worry about how much weight you are using. :lightbulb:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity