over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rice Cooker

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I've had one sitting around for a few years and never used it, but plan to since Uncle Ben's 90 second rice would be too expensive in the amount I want to eat AND I strongly doubt its near 2 cups per package like it claims.

Jasmine Rice is my choice and 4-6 cups a day for my offseason diet. Im also considering sushi sticky rice from an asian supermarket but I believe the nutritional content might be slightly diff since it is sweetened to make it sticky from what I understand.

BigChef's recommendation is to cover rice with water and have the water line half way up your pinky above the rice. Does that work in a rice cooker with Jasmine Rice?

Looking for pointers... Thanks.

BigChef's recommendation is to cover rice with water and have the water line half way up your pinky above the rice. Does that work in a rice cooker with Jasmine Rice?

^^^What my mom told me to do. I do a band of fore finger of water above the rice.

Comes out amazingly every time.

I've also heard add half a cup more water than rice.

Also...to make 6 cups cooked Jasmine in a rice cooker, approx how many cups of uncooked rice am I looking at?

Is it still good practice to rinse Jasmine rice prior to cooking?

I've had one sitting around for a few years and never used it, but plan to since Uncle Ben's 90 second rice would be too expensive in the amount I want to eat AND I strongly doubt its near 2 cups per package like it claims.

Jasmine Rice is my choice and 4-6 cups a day for my offseason diet. Im also considering sushi sticky rice from an asian supermarket but I believe the nutritional content might be slightly diff since it is sweetened to make it sticky from what I understand.

Yep use your little finger and dip it in the water above the rice and your finger touching the top base of the rice and the water should half way of your little finger. Also I want to add is, always washed your wash first. Put the rice in the colander/strainer and wash it under cold water a number of times to rinse off the impurities. A master chef from China taught me this.

Doesn't matter how much rice you are going to cook, I always use my little finger but I never do because I just look at the water and I know how much I put in cuz you become more experienced at it.

Any estimates on how much dry rice will equal 6 cups with this method? I just need a general estimation if possible.

Also, when we are talking cups of dry uncooked rice to put IN the cooker...are we referring to standard 1cup or the rice "cup" that is used and comes with the pot.

For example if I'm putting in 3 cups of uncooked rice...am I using the cup that came with it or a standard USA "cup"? Weird that there is a difference as the cup the rice came with is really about 3/4 of a cup.

One cup of cooked rice should be about 40g carbs which is about 50g of uncooked white rice. So about 300g in standard us cups for 6 cups. We don't use cups in the UK and have to convert every thing to grams

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

One cup of cooked rice should be about 40g carbs which is about 50g of uncooked white rice. So about 300g in standard us cups for 6 cups. We don't use cups in the UK and have to convert every thing to grams

LOL....so why are you talking grams here ;).
Dry cups : Cooked cups would have been easier here. Thanks though.

LOL....so why are you talking grams here ;).
Dry cups : Cooked cups would have been easier here. Thanks though.

I don't know what it would be in dry cups. We don't use them at all hear. Thought you might have some scales about and it would be an easy way. Weigh 300g and see how many cups it is. If you've got no kitchen scales though then this doesn't really help, just assumed most of us had some.

Last edited:
In my rice maker 4 dry cups usually works out to about 8-9 cooked cups, depending on how tight I pack the measuring cup.

My rice cooker comes with its own measuring cup. Makes everything much easier

Add 120% of water. For example 2 cups of rice add 2.4 cup of water.

It takes time to figure out how much extra water to add with each rice cooker and type of rice in my experience, but yea I've always noticed I need to add more water than recommended or the rice ends up a bit too dry for my liking.

hey knight , rice is a specialty for me man . I like it fluffy , soft and fully cooked but not so much water that it gets watery and makes it sticky.

I do 400grams dry measure basmati rice (2.22 cups roughly)
5 cups water.

the best thing to do is start 2:1 water to rice and go from there as in add a bit more or take out a bit of rice until you find the consistency you like.

Last edited:
My rice cooker comes with its own measuring cup. Makes everything much easier

Most do...but it is not a standard cup. It's closer to 3/4 of a cup.

hey knight , rice is a specialty for me man . I like it fluffy , soft and fully cooked but not so much water that it gets watery and makes it sticky.

I do 400grams dry measure basmati rice (2.22 cups roughly)
5 cups water.

the best thing to do is start 2:1 water to rice and go from there as in add a bit more or take out a bit of rice until you find the consistency you like.

I do the same 2:1 ratio with my water and rice and my rice comes out perfect!

I used a rice cooker for years and it was great..... then we got a pressure cooker. That thing makes perfect brown rice without the burnt layer that rice cookers tend to have. Also makes killer beans and tons of other good stuff!

As far as the sushi rice, it usually requires rice wine vinegar which will add sugar. you can get regular medium grain rice and it will be pretty sticky without the vinegar.

I just tried some brown long grain jasmine rice the other day and that stuff is great! sticky and lots of flavor. Nutritional value is very similar to regular brown long grain rice.

I cooked rice for years as everyone above does I until I finally learnt the correct method for perfect non sticky non starchy rice;

Wash your rice in cold water first until the water is clear
Soak for 30 minutes
Boil the kettle and add the boiling water to an already hot rice cooker (enough to totally cover the rice and then some)
Drain the rice and add it to the rice cooker
Here's the crucial part... Keep an eye on the rice whilst it's boiling, check until it just begins to soften. You should be able to squash it between your finger and thumb but it should still have a slight crunch to it. 30 seconds more can spoil it.
Drain the rice and rinse it under cold water. Make sure it is thoroughly drained and the rice isn't stuck together. Give it a little shake but don't bash it with a wooden spoon.
Add a little coconut oil to the cooker so it covers the bottom
Make sure the rice is drained of most it's water then add the rice back into the cooker
Cover and allow it to steam for 20 minutes or so

You should be left with perfect non sticky rice. The bottom should be slightly crunchy (I love this part and it is much sort after in some cultures such as Iran).

Hope that helps :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner