over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

First puppy - Potty training advice

e9soldier

Newbies
Damn. Old lady got a puppy. Cute as hell, but it is pissing and shitting everywhere. Any suggestions or tricks that may get him to go outside?

Agree with what outtolunch said.

Get him used to staying in a crate. Take him out of the crate after a few hours and take him outside. As soon as he pisses or shits reward him with a treat and pet him so he knows he did something good. Works like a charm and most trainers recommend this as well.

I used this method and it worked. I also used this method just to reinforce behaviours. My pup is now 16 weeks and has no need for the crate as he has a good idea of what is right and what is wrong.

I set up a wire playpen with a crate inside it. That’s where my guy stayed when I first got him.

Consistency is the key - Create a daily routine and stick to it (at least for the time being).

A dog will always tend to return to their scented areas. Make sure those are outside by relocating any droppings. I've used the attractant sprays in the past with some success - It at least helped create a spot, then after a while of me leading the dog back to it, he ended up getting it on his own with my help. Without the spray, he wasn't so keen on that particular area.

Do not strike the animal for poor bathroom behaviors - This doesn't work, period. Regardless of how frustrated you are.

They go pee inside, you tell them no and take them outside, shouldn't take more than 1-2 times if you have a smart dog.

Don't punish them and don't use crates, treat them like a baby/child, not a dog.

They go pee inside, you tell them no and take them outside, shouldn't take more than 1-2 times if you have a smart dog.

Don't punish them and don't use crates, treat them like a baby/child, not a dog.

Key words: if you have a smart dog. Lol

Set a schedule and be consistent. Take them out regularly. For about the first two weeks if my dog was out, I would sit in the floor with him and play, so if he started sniffing I could get him quickly outside. And once they do go outside, praise them really good.

My pup was a smooth ride he learned everything in the first week I got him and was only 8weeks

Don't let it in the house all the way. First cage off the kitchen. When you take it outside to pee. Reward with very small training treats. Then let it in the house to play then back in the kitchen. When the dog has learned then let it all the way in the house but keep bedrooms closed....later open bedrooms.

I have a dog door so I worry about nothing

Try to think like a dog not a human. Take them out when they wake up, every couple hours, after thy eat, after they play. Taking a scared new puppy and throwing them out into your yard(the wilderness) alone and thinking they know what to do when they are alone and scared is not going to work a lot of the time. And if your yard is secluded take a piss your self and they will smell it and mark that territory.

Three things that mostly everybody already mentioned: consistency is key, reward good behavior and don’t strike or punish the dog for bad behavior. Most dogs are food driven, so put them in the grass and say you’re key word before, during and after they do their business. Then reward them with a treat and say the key word a couple of more times. This we reinforce the good behavior. Also, I have a key phrase like “go outside” or “go potty” and I use it religiously while training. They will associate that word with going potty and then they’ll know a treat is coming. This rewarding good behavior tactic isn’t just for potty training but for everything else you want the puppy to do correctly.

It’ll learn on its own unless it’s adopted and scared. Either way just continue to teach it to go outside and don’t get mad at it or it’ll get worse

Consistency is the key!!!! Its going to suck for the first 2 weeks. But taking them out every 30min to pee or smell the bush. Give them a verbal so they can recognize and praise right after they do it. It will get programed in them. BUT Consistency is the key!!! Good luck.

Damn. Old lady got a puppy. Cute as hell, but it is pissing and shitting everywhere. Any suggestions or tricks that may get him to go outside?

Get you a pen for the new fella. When they sleep put em in the crate or ya lap. As soon as they wake up, immediately bring them to the area they’re allowed to use the bathroom at. Same thing goes for when they eat/drink. Immediately bring em to their bathroom area. The crate is for at night. Line it with them puppy pads. Once they finally sleep through the night without an accident then you should be Gucci! The key is CONSISTENCY!!!!!!! I installed a doggy door as well... never have to worry about them again.

Cage

You have your answer already, but I will piece together how I do / did it:

1. Crate is the dogs home.

Dog sleeps in crate. Dog hides in crate. When dogs get into it, the dogs go to their crate. The crate becomes a den. I have a huge crate I use for puppies (sized for two large breed dogs). I put the crate in the room I am in the most at first. I will regularly train the dog to go to the crate (I call it cage). Someone knocks on door? Cage. I plan on eating dinner? Cage.

I do not clean the cage unless the pup vomits / shits. If that happens, I clean just enough to clean it up but keep their scent. If a puppy cant sleep I may even crawl in the cage (one reason I use a huge one for puppies) to get them comfortable.

Dogs will not pee in their den.

2. Stagger sleep.

Put your bodybuilding hat on. This is the best thing I did but physically the hardest. It only lasts three months. I started going to bed at 2 am. Wife goes to bed at 10 ish. I stay up to 2 and get atleast two more potty trips in after my wife goes to bed.

Wife naturally is up first, and does the same thing in the morning. I also set an alarm to wake up at 4:30 and take a trip outside with puppies in the middle of the night.

At night my wife and I play with our dogs and puppies need to learn to not over do water. So I get up to prevent accidents.

3. Change work schedule.

I change my work and sleep schedule a bit. I always start work 10 to 12 and my wife starts at 9 when we get new dogs. She gets up at 6 to 7 to let puppies out and get ready. I get up at 9 and play with and feed them. I work out and then go outside with them again. I aim for every two hours. I let them out again ten minutes before I leave.

Wife is home at 5 and lets dogs out first thing. I get home 7 to 9ish, and go outside with them immediately. We play after they pee until they pee again. Then dinner, then pee time again.

4. Leash all the time.

Every time I want them to pee I grab a leash and take them to the same spot. I then teach them to go when I let them. We dont play until they pee, or try to. It becomes habit.

I do take the leash off after and we play and socialize. If they play and dont use the bathroom, I grab the leash and go to the spot before we go inside.

5. Positive Reinforcement.

I do use negative Reinforcement but it is a 10 to 1 ratio. Only negative is when they bite too hard, get caught chewing furniture, or caught peeing. I say bad, and take them outside or to the cage.

Everytime they do something good I tell them. Good girl or boy and I make eye contact (raises oxytocin for bonding even in dogs).

I also buy organic training treats with 2 or 3 calories each and often reward good behavior. I buy or grow green beans and cucumbers for this too. Low calories, and has a crunch.

6. What it looks like.

I wake up in the middle of the night and let the pups out. If they cant sleep, my ass may crawl in the crate with them. Only for the first couple bonding weeks until they are used to being alone. This can backfire, i have also used old and dirty shirts they can smell.

Wife is up a couple hours later and lets them out twice before I am up and she is off to work.

Leash for all outside trips. Pee before play. I go out right before I feed them and right after.

Positive Reinforcement for every bit of good they do. Low calorie treat or veggie to reinforce.

This whole process is usually from birth til three months. For young puppies you need about 6 weeks. Bad cases or older dogs take up to six months.

Older dogs dont need you to wake up in the middle of the night as they can hold their bladder. They need more positive reinforcement.

The whole dominance thing can be established with puppies by forcing them to submit and give belly when playing, controling food (you eat first), etc. They tend to pee when you do this, so I include this in outside play. Older dogs require some trust first before alpha'ing out. Some older dogs pee out of spite too.

Occasional accidents will happen, especially with excitement. I control that by immediate trips outside when they could get excited and when meeting new people.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws