over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Abs more or less gentics?

Excells

Registered
So im just curious what your guys opinions are. You see some guys with amazing abdominal/midsections. Curious if gentics have a long way go with this. Ive gotten down to about 8-9% body fat but never got anything im proud of as far as abs. Maybe this is a lack of working my abdominal muscles out enough?. Not sure looking
for opinions and maybe some suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Abs are just like any other muscle. If you train them consistently you’ll have great abs. Lots of guys never train them because they prefer the flat tummy look with lines only. Guys that train them hard regularly get dense abs. I trained mine hard and heavy from day 1 because i wanted a real good midsection. The advantage of this type of training is even when you are off season you’ll still have an 8 pack. The advantage of never developing the ab muscles is you won’t have that distention you get on roids.
So, no, it’s not genetics for me anyway. My genetics suck! A lot of hard work was needed.

How your abs look is largely genetic. For example, tendon placement determines whether you get an even 3 and 3 on each side or one side being higher / lower. You also have some guys who never get the lower 2 abs to show no matter how lean they get.

Proper training will help maximize what you have and can probably make incremental differences. For example, if you want your abs to pop you're probably going to have to train them heavy for an extended period at some point - they have to be trained heavy to develop that look like any other muscle.

OP, in your case, like ferraribrad asked - how are you measuring that 8-9%? Most guys will have pretty good looking abs when flexing them at that body fat percentage. Not what it takes to win a show, but better than most guys in the gym.

How are you quantifying your bf% calipers? Dexa scan?

Height / Weight?

Pics?

Yeah so im used a bf caliper and i used a handheld bf weight scanner. I know they are super accurate but when they were both saying about 9% i assumed 10-11%
H- 5/11 W-205lbs im at work atm with a new phone ill try to post some on thia thread at some point

The advantage of never developing the ab muscles is you won’t have that distention you get on roids.

Hi JJ, do u mean once developed, u will hav distended abs when ON cycle?:confused:

I never had good abs until i started Keto. I went strict keto for about a month and a half. now a do a targeted keto where I consume high carbs post training. But it is pretty important to get fat adapted before reintroducing carbs.

Ill prolly get some flack for this but it worked for me and i have solid abs for the first.time in my life. Low dose of HGH helps too [emoji41]

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

The way your abs are positioned is purely genetics. How developed they are is up to you. Personally I might do three to five sets a week for abs tops and even then never oblique work. Always just the lower/forward facing.

Working your abs can be great and make them more pronounced at higher bodyfat but training will also make your abdominal region alot bulkier and can kill your v taper.

IMO if you've actually got some size on you and aren't just a beach body type I'd just leave them alone. Otherwise long term your basically looking at a GH gut without the GH. Lol

How your abs look is largely genetic. For example, tendon placement determines whether you get an even 3 and 3 on each side or one side being higher / lower. You also have some guys who never get the lower 2 abs to show no matter how lean they get.

Proper training will help maximize what you have and can probably make incremental differences. For example, if you want your abs to pop you're probably going to have to train them heavy for an extended period at some point - they have to be trained heavy to develop that look like any other muscle.

This right here 100%.... you either have pretty abs (Not Human) or you don't (Me).... of course you control your bf levels so what you can SEE is all work.... the structure is genetic... I can get as lean as anybody but my lower abs don't "Pop" no matter what I do ...just as Dan stated above...

It definitely feels like abs and calves are more genetic than the rest of our muscles, but that doesn't mean there is no advantage to training them.

One of the best tips I can give for improving abs is to practice vacuums. It's made a noticeable difference in my midsection and has helped it stay tighter even when bulking. You don't need to do a ton, just do it consistently. I do 3 holds for 10-15 seconds in the shower after every workout.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws