Insulin Spike

concreter

Featured Member / Verified Customer
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
How do you guys feel about naturally Spiken insulin just before workouts?
For quite a while I have been Takin 60-80 grams of Honey and 30 gms of raisens just prior to my workouts on an empty stomach.
During training I sip on a serving of Size-on (another 40gms of carbs mixed with 30 gms Bcaa's Plus. Post is 100gms Whey.
Am I getting a good spike in insulin?

Honey is an interesting subject, glycemic index wise its ok for insulin spike but various types of honey will have more or less fructose in them given as to where the bees of that particular hive collect the pollens and from what plants they collect them from.
Regionally the difference can be 10 points up or down on the GI scale.
It should be sufficient enough but more simpler sugars with higher GIs will do a bit better.

yeah u would be better off with dextrose or maltodextrin. cheaper too. there are a lot of better options than honeyto raise insulin.i think it would prolly be better/healthier to take a few iu's of insulin and eat something healthy?

I always thought honey was natural and therefor good.
Table sugar was like poison.
A natural spike in slin would be better than synthetic...No?

well table sugar(sucrose) is considered bad because it raises insulin but thats what your looking to do. honey has some vitamin and minerals and doesnt raise insulin as much thats why it should be used over sugar for not raising insulin. i think a great option would be dates. they have a very hi GI 103 but you will also get some fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Dates nutrition facts and health benefits

im not an expert on insulin so hopefully someone else can chime in on that, but i think your right a natural spike wouldnt be as harsh on the body as synthetic.

Spiking insulin pre workout will dull the CNS somewhat and make you weaker. If your a volume guy not really an issue, if your a hit guy like me carbles works much better(for some). That aside if you want to spike your inulin with something easy digesting and next to 0 fat one word. Rice krispies. I have half a box post workout religiously cutting or bulking. I know that's 2 words but you get the point lol

Last edited:

Honey is great but just a warning, unless you really know where it's coming from, there's a really good chance is only 50% honey or less and the rest is sugar water.

I have a good friend at work that is a beekeeper. He belongs to the beekeepers association and goes to meetings and all that. He said there have been tests done with grocery store honey and most of the time it's only about half real honey. In fact, the poor quality of honey in the store is the reason he started keeping bees in the first place. So I buy honey from him, and I'll tell you what, I can taste a difference.

So while real honey is a great food, you have to be picky about where you get it.

I do have an in on some domestic raw honey, I havn't used yet but making the call.

Local honey is supposed to be more benefical.

Since its winter and I'm not bustin Rocks, I don't need to be worried about my blood sugar dropping off so I'll still do the honey pre and 5-10 humilog post.
Should I take in additional carbs (waxy maize) post ?
I already blast a 100 gm whey shake following a workout.
Thanks

Spiking insulin pre workout will dull the CNS somewhat and make you weaker. If your a volume guy not really an issue, if your a hit guy like me carbles works much better(for some). That aside if you want to spike your inulin with something easy digesting and next to 0 fat one word. Rice krispies. I have half a box post workout religiously cutting or bulking. I know that's 2 words but you get the point lol

bro, if you like cornflakes they have a higher GI then rice krispies but both dont have any real nutritional value.

Honey is great but just a warning, unless you really know where it's coming from, there's a really good chance is only 50% honey or less and the rest is sugar water.

I have a good friend at work that is a beekeeper. He belongs to the beekeepers association and goes to meetings and all that. He said there have been tests done with grocery store honey and most of the time it's only about half real honey. In fact, the poor quality of honey in the store is the reason he started keeping bees in the first place. So I buy honey from him, and I'll tell you what, I can taste a difference.

So while real honey is a great food, you have to be picky about where you get it.

yeah, i like going to the local farmers markets to get honey. it does taste different/better and usually has a different color to it. it is also not pasteurized so it still contains all the beneficial nutrients.

bro, if you like cornflakes they have a higher GI then rice krispies but both dont have any real nutritional value.

I use 25 iu humalog for my spike. Just like the taste of rice krisbies mixed with protein powder and water. Rice krisbies are actually fortified with b vitamins so some nutritional value there. But hey who am I kidding, I do it for the taste. Every month I try a new flavour of whey with them. This month is apple crumble and custard flavour.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I use 25 iu humalog for my spike. Just like the taste of rice krisbies mixed with protein powder and water. Rice krisbies are actually fortified with b vitamins so some nutritional value there. But hey who am I kidding, I do it for the taste. Every month I try a new flavour of whey with them. This month is apple crumble and custard flavour.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mmm that does sound good. :)

25 iu's,
That must be a Big ass bowl!
How much muscle you tryin to feed ?

Please do not follow Sams protocol. 25iu is ridiculious and not needed UNLESS you abuse the shit out of insulin and have horrible imsulin sensativity, even than if your smart, you would take metformin before hand so instead of injecting 25iu, you would get the same effect of 5-10iu with metformin. Sam im sure some idiot just starting to think about using humalog is going to inject 25iu and probably pass the fuck out! Lol Bro, you know how some people are, "monkey see, monkey do".

Anyway, 5-10iu Humalog is all one would really need.

-Baseline

I prefer using low GI carbs pre training but sometimes mix it up. My fav fast acting carb sources are raw honey, dextrose and coconut sugar.

This is a different subject but have you tried GDA's? I have been using MAN sports N-force. I have gone hypo on it a few times... especially if I add extra ALA. I sometimes use that pre workout with carbs. Then I have an intra shake of EAA's and HBCD's and I am noticeably fuller from that combo. I will be adding in slin soon too and will use the GDA's on my off days.

I just like 2 cookies with a protein shake, POST workout. Try and force those nutrients into the muscle and feed em.

I prefer using low GI carbs pre training but sometimes mix it up. My fav fast acting carb sources are raw honey, dextrose and coconut sugar.

This is a different subject but have you tried GDA's? I have been using MAN sports N-force. I have gone hypo on it a few times... especially if I add extra ALA. I sometimes use that pre workout with carbs. Then I have an intra shake of EAA's and HBCD's and I am noticeably fuller from that combo. I will be adding in slin soon too and will use the GDA's on my off days.

Quit talking in code. Say again in English so us flunky's can follow.

25 iu's,
That must be a Big ass bowl!
How much muscle you tryin to feed ?

I'm about 235 at the moment but nice and lean. I've just got a fast metabolism and very good carb tolerance. If I don't get at least 250g carbs post workout I get pissy and bad tempered which is unacceptable as I have a 10 year old son so the carbs are always there regardless may as well slin in up. In the 3 hours or so the slin is active I hit 400 plus carb vs and about 150 protein. I cut on 500 carbs as I just don't seem to be able to store then as fat for some he reason. Was over 800 a lot of days on bulk. A lot had to cone from chocolate milk and frozen yogurt as appetite dropped

Also it's not a bowl, it's a lunch box. Never found a bowl big enough😀

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity