advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long did it take you to build a National level build?

Sir Anabolic

Registered
Interested to know how long it took some of you guys to build a high caliber physique.

Of course you know this depends A LOT on the following:

- genetics
- diet/training
- gear
- consistency, or basically not taking any extended breaks from diet, training, and gear
- staying injury free, healthy

All of that considered, I'd say that after your very first show, and you are bittten by that bodybuilding stage bug, anywhere from 5-7 years before you are truly National level material.

My first show was in 2010. I was a lighweight. I've had my foot on the gas pedal since then, and in early 2012 I qualified for Jr's. I'm competing again this year to test my physique and see if I can win again. If I do, I'll consider Jr's down the road after I bring up my lagging parts more.

I have average genetics. But it's certainly not unheard of for a genetic freak to qualify for Jr's after his first show, go on and kill it there, and go to Nationals. It has happened and will continue to happen to those lucky few.

But for us average guys, I'd stick with my 5-7 yr estimate. I don't see myself on the Jr. Nationals stage until 2015 or 2016.

I started competing at 18 I have done jr usa and jr nats placed terrible...I don't think I will have physique that is actually ready to place well or win at that level until hopefully next year and maybe a pro qualifier in say 2 years...so I would agree with the 5-7 years

it took me 4 years to qualify for nationals

probably more than most, but i dnt care, im proud. i started as a total shrimp lol

it took me 4 years to qualify for nationals

probably more than most, but i dnt care, im proud. i started as a total shrimp lol

No offense man but qualifying for nationals and having a national level physiqe are two completely different things...

No offense man but qualifying for nationals and having a national level physiqe are two completely different things...

Truth! Now tell that to about HALF the guys who showed up to nationals last year..,

i didnt say i have one,

I thought thats what the OP was asking. how long it took to qualify or build a "high caliber physique" I was just giving my .02

but thanks for the backhanded remark ;)

I did nationals in 2010. Placed 21 out of 22. I did it because it was a goal to step on that stage since I got into bodybuilding to overcome my bone disease years ago. I think everyone has their own reasons some good and some ego driven. But it definitely made me go I need to be better conditioned and bigger before I ever try this again. I did however meet some awesome people there who I still talk to regularly today.

5 to 7 years is about right IMO.

You will know early on wether you have it or not, at lest for most people in my opinion. Won my weight class the first two times i competed without any guidence, unenhanced at my first show. Qualified my first year doing an open show. Waited two years before i hit the USA's where i took second. After that i knew i have real potential to earn that Pro. card.

Also feel you can do it within 5 years, If it ever is going to happen.

You will know early on wether you have it or not, at lest for most people in my opinion. Won my weight class the first two times i competed without any guidence, unenhanced at my first show. Qualified my first year doing an open show. Waited two years before i hit the USA's where i took second. After that i knew i have real potential to earn that Pro. card.

In which class did you place second?

yep, this is the truth!

I'd be curious to hear a reply from the guys who didn't start out in a light class and crawl up (which is very impressive obviously)....Do many people weight until they are light-heavy/heavyweights before doing a show? I am planning on competing for the first time by the end of the year, and I kept pushing it back a year until I made sure I could step on stage at a heavier weight class (I'm 5'11 so I personally feel I should be in a bigger class)

All of that considered, I'd say that after your very first show, and you are bittten by that bodybuilding stage bug, anywhere from 5-7 years before you are truly National level material.

and in early 2012 I qualified for Jr's..

5-7 yrs???

I think this is a ridiculous statement.
there are so many variables and most people can never build it no matter what, and some do it in one.
saying 5-7 years makes it trivial and that anyone can do it.
putting in time does not necessarily make you a good competitor. One that is respected, yes, but good, national level good, NO

also how do you qualify for JR's?
there are national qualifying shows in the npc,

not jr national qualifiers.

5-7 yrs???

I think this is a ridiculous statement.
there are so many variables and most people can never build it no matter what, and some do it in one.
saying 5-7 years makes it trivial and that anyone can do it.
putting in time does not necessarily make you a good competitor. One that is respected, yes, but good, national level good, NO

also how do you qualify for JR's?
there are national qualifying shows in the npc,

not jr national qualifiers.

Jr nationals and jr usa count as nationals level shows so if you get qualified you can do those

don't think you can really put a time limit on it.

the fastest guys are the guys who have excellent natural shape, they don't have to put on a shit ton of size to look fantastic (tricky jackson) (dexter jackson) both come to mind.

the guys that have not so pleasing shape and have to fight their way up by putting on slab after slab of muscle usually take the longest.

Jr nationals and jr usa count as nationals level shows so if you get qualified you can do those

yea I got that,:banghead:

but I never heard anybody bragging about qualifying for JR's before.
You either qualify or you dont

I qualified several times, several class wins in pretty quality NQ'er shows...and not till just last year did I make the step to the national stage. If I am gonna do it, my mind has to know I will at least do somewhat battle up there. Still working at it....The USA's this year will be a huge step, this shit never gets easier lol :)

I qualified several times, several class wins in pretty quality NQ'er shows...and not till just last year did I make the step to the national stage. If I am gonna do it, my mind has to know I will at least do somewhat battle up there. Still working at it....The USA's this year will be a huge step, this shit never gets easier lol :)

Can't wait to see the package you bring to stage bro.

i didnt say i have one,

I thought thats what the OP was asking. how long it took to qualify or build a "high caliber physique" I was just giving my .02

but thanks for the backhanded remark ;)

self proclaimed shrimp to national qualifier in 4 years is something
to be proud of .. even if there are people so gifted that they can
do it in a couple ice cream seasons

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member