advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Moving to Boston.......Where the good Gyms at?

Mr Chicago

Registered
Where are some good gyms at in Boston/Brockton area.........Coming from Chicago which have some decent gyms. So I need some good input. Thanks guys!

I moved from FL a year ago and live in the city. I also left some incredible gyms behind(and much cheaper). Your best bet is probably the Boston sports club. Some locations are better than others but its either that, a very expensive equinox membership or you join a fitness center like planet fitness(which we all know is a poor excuse for a gym)

As for Brockton I don't know anything about that area, but since its pretty far out of the city you might find something priced better and an all around better gym than what you will find in Boston. Good luck!

I recently trained at the Gold's in Somerville. Wasn't impressed, don't join there.

you are gunna find the usual, planet shitness, golds, YMCA
Good luck. Mass sucks!

Gyms in Boston

Here is some info... I found on a another site.. I copied it.. I don't think your going to find anything like Quads gym...USA Gym...of Shaumburg Powerhouse in Boston...however there are some places where you can train...

all the best...H2c2

" Lets get real about this. There aren't many places that are geared towards serious training left in Boston anymore. Thats the plain and simple fact. Corporate health and wellness centers have taken over Boston and beyond. This is just the way it is and what you have to deal with.

All that is left is....

- Gold's Gym, Boston (Lansdowne St.) - Many of you have touched upon its size, but the bottom line is, you take what you can get (I'd love to see the places you guys train at though, cuz it's not that small!!! Temple Gym across the pond is only a few hundred sq ft. and I doubt anyone would complain about training there!!!). Kept pretty clean with decent equipment, old DBs up to 120s, just the basics. Believe me, you can get the job done here no problems at all.

- Gold's Gym, Sommerville - I don't care for this gym very much, but the huge positive here is that the gym M-F is open 24 hours! Only gym in the Boston area that features these kind of hours.

- Mike's Fitness, Jamaica Plain (formally Mike's Gym, South End) - Despite being a bit cramped, these guys have a clean facility, some decent equipment, some of its old, but once again, it gets the job done. Huge positive here is that they feature DBs up to 140s I believe.

Now if you're willing to dish out the rediculous montly rates, you could train at one of the 18 Boston Sport Club locations around the greater Boston area. Rates differ slightly from one club to the next, and thats mainly due to the prime rate of property across Boston. Some of the better BSCs include my personal favorite, Downtown Crossing, as well as Government Center and Allston/Brighton. Remember though, if you're serious about training, whether pl'ing, bb'ing, etc., you're pretty much the odd ball out at most BSCs. They're geared towards the business man and woman, and I suppose students who's parents cover the montly rate.

Other places such as Equinox, Fit Corp, Revolution, etc., I wouldn't even waste your time considering those places. They're at the complete opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the type of training most guys here are interested in.

That pretty much covers it all. Hope it helps."

here is some more info from another site..

Welcome!

" I just moved out of the Back Bay area a few weeks ago. I lived there for about a year and decided to downsize...lol. Anyway, if you're in Copley Sq. you have a few choices:

Fit Corp (in the Prudential Mall)
BSC (Newbury St., near Urban Outfitters and Capital Grille)
Gold's Gym Fenway

Now, I said CHOICES, but in reality Fit Corp isn't even a gym. Imagine Bally's, but worse...a few pulley machines, dumbbells that probably only go up to 50 pounds and lots of rich overweight people who probably don't even know what a squat is!

BSC is a good choice, but again, kinda "clubby" and very expensive.

I lifted at Gold's, and it's everything a simple guy like me who just wants to lift some iron can ask for. They also recently updated the machines. But, Gold's has its downsides:

- NO PARKING...ever! I prob paid enough in tickets to cover 5 years worth of membership...lol.
- On days were the Sox are home, expect the smell of delicious sausages and peppers..which can be tough if you're dieting!
- Membership is about $40 a month (what I was paying) and it's a VERY small community. Most of the members there live within walking or biking distance, and you will seriously see the same 20-30 faces every day. Hardly anybody joins. I always wondered how the hell they stayed open with so few members and hardly any turnover. But the Gold's at Fenway has been around for ages...back in Paul Demayo's day..."Quadzilla".

If you're living in Back Bay, chances are you are making decent money lol so go with a gym that allows you to focus on what you need to do, without the bullshit. I say Golds...but you may like BSC, or even Equinox.

Equinox, by the way, is another clubby gym for the uber rich. Think mahogony lockers that you can rent out, designer complimentary shampoos, etc. Again, for the rich who just want to "stay in shape", not for the bodybuilder type.

Then again, I don't know what "type" you are, so please don't take offense...just trying to help.

And enjoy Boston! Make sure you hit up KnowFat Grille after a workout, or Boloco for a pwo burrito! Capital is great for steaks too...and Abe & Louie's as well...awesome city. You'll love it."

yeah ma is pretty bad when it comes to gyms. i went to a new golds i think, in the canton/stoughton area. the place was really nice, giant empty and 24hr access. went to talk to them about consulting no idea what came of them, but was a decent place.

there used to be golds/world again in that south shore area that were not bad, there was one on rt 1 i was at a couple years back had a nice hardcore atmosphere and big wieghts. deadham maybe? or needham?

i dont like the boston athletic clubs, never been to equinox. there are some okish glods 20 mins or so west of boston. golds or worlds locally owned ones seem to be the best as far as seriously lifters go.

the better ones seem to be in wierd spots though. idk anywhere decent in boston.

prices are ridiculous too.

fl is way better, no comparison. id tell anyone not to move here.

good luck!

just read above.

mikes was okish but i didnt feel so comfortble there, idk just a little wierd and not a great gym by any means.

golds on lansdown is similar. small and limited equipment.

small gyms can be great, but i dont think one could compair golds on lansdown to temple. lol! training in a tiny dungeon is pretty badass, asi is the environment.

the ones i listed are bigger more equipment and more space with less people in your way.

the deaham/needham ones i mentioned may have been mikes too, i went to mikes as part of some consulting thing as well.

Last edited:
I lived in Boston for 4 years.

The Best Gym your going to find is Golds Gym in Southie(South Boston) a lot of local hardcore irish people. Not the typical yuppie city people. There are a couple of trainers who compete. A couple of figure girls go there as well.

The Copley Square YMCA was good as well.

Boston Sports clubs are full of yuppies with there coordinated outfits.

every train at the old south boston bathhouse? lol! talk about old school! and like 40 bucks a year!

i think the golds there is new. well new to me. im old southie, no yuppies here.

:p

every train at the old south boston bathhouse? lol! talk about old school! and like 40 bucks a year!

i think the golds there is new. well new to me. im old southie, no yuppies here.

:p

Is that near Castle Island? Near the Yacht Club?

I used to work out at Work Out World in Brockton. It's pretty big, has a good selection of weights and equipment, and is 15.00 a month. The only downside is that the dumbells top out at 100lbs.

Brockton and Boston and pretty far apart. I grew up in a town very close to Brockton. Trained at All Sports in Rockland and Golds Gym in East Bridgewater.

What is the exact city you are moving to? If it's Brockton, the two I mentioned are good.

Thanks for the info guys. I know I'm not going to find a Quad's like gym there. I had a Quads gym membership when I moved back to Chicago from Anchorage and it was a dynamite gym hands down. This is going to take some getting use to

Brockton and Boston and pretty far apart. I grew up in a town very close to Brockton. Trained at All Sports in Rockland and Golds Gym in East Bridgewater.

What is the exact city you are moving to? If it's Brockton, the two I mentioned are good.

I will be out in Brockton for sure

I used to work out at Work Out World in Brockton. It's pretty big, has a good selection of weights and equipment, and is 15.00 a month. The only downside is that the dumbells top out at 100lbs.

Definitely will look into this gym

What about where Jose Raymond trains, always looks like a super nice gym and is in that area. Can't remember the name but it's in all his MD vids.

What about where Jose Raymond trains, always looks like a super nice gym and is in that area. Can't remember the name but it's in all his MD vids.

Jose trains at Today's Fitness in Woburn MA, no where near Brockton.

One of the gyms I used to train at is now called ClubEx. Its on Oak Street in East Bridgewater, next town over from Brockton. It used to be a Golds. Its big and I imagine still has all the same equipment.
Brockton is a tough town. Lots of good boxing gyms.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws