over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

RIP Devin Dearth

Wynn

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I saw this on another board and thought it should get mentioned here. There are a lot of condolences left on David's facebook page.

**broken link removed**

Obituary: Massillon native Devin Dearth, bodybuilder and film subject, dies at 46

In 2007, bodybuilder and Massillon native Devin Dearth suffered a devastating stroke. He battled back from it, even going to China for treatment and receiving national attention for his efforts.

But on Sunday Mr. Dearth died. His brother Doug Dearth, who chronicled Devin’s China journey in the documentary 9,000 Needles, said “the stroke left Devin with several severe complications which he was ultimately unable to overcome.” He was 46.

Mr. Dearth, a University of Akron graduate who resided in Carrollton, at the time of his stroke was a champion bodybuilder in Kentucky — “the Mr. Kentucky,” as Men’s Health magazine put it in a 2011 article. “A champion body builder. Arguably the hardest working person in the Blue Grass State. He hit the gym at 4 o’clock in the morning, every morning, then spent 8 hours a day working his six-figure job,” the magazine said.

After the stroke, caused by a bleed in his brain stem, he was unable to speak and in a wheelchair, and conventional treatments were not helping. Doug Dearth learned of a Chinese acupuncture process that might make a difference. The treatment ultimately involved the 9,000 needles in the film’s title, but Mr. Dearth was able to walk and speak afterward.

The documentary, as the 9,000 Needles website notes, found Mr. Dearth tested on a daily basis. Still, the production — which was shown at the Cleveland International Film Festival in 2010 — aimed to show that “with faith and determination, the human spirit can transcend any and all boundaries.”

“Devin’s determination and sense of humor was an inspiration to us all,” Doug Dearth said in an email after his brother’s death. “His willingness to share his journey with the rest of the world in the documentary … has left a legacy of change in his wake, from legislative changes to master’s programs being taught at TCM [Traditional Chinese Medicine] colleges.

“To this day, his story is being shared as a teaching tool in hospitals, clinics and universities across the nation,” Doug Dearth said. “Nothing would make Devin happier than to know that his challenge has helped others to have the courage to overcome their obstacles and to keep up the good fight no matter what. Because it is not the challenge, but who shows up to the challenge that really defines who you are.”

Doug Dearth, who also made the locally shot film Underdogs, added, “In Devin’s memory, our family would like to encourage others to reach out to someone else in need, and however big or small, do something for them or their families that makes their life a little bit easier, and more importantly, let them know they are loved.”

A memorial service will be at 6 p.m. Friday in the Church of Christ, 353 Moody Ave., Carrollton.

Devin Dearth was born June 8, 1967. He had been president of Brewco in Central City, Ky. He had also served in the Ohio National Guard and the Army Reserve for eight years, where he was a staff sergeant and a medic.

Survivors include his son, Zachary Dearth of Central City, Ky., daughters Kaley Dearth of Kent and Sarah Dearth of Central City; brothers Doug of Los Angeles and David of Massillon; sister Dawn of Kent; father, David of Canton; and mother, Barbara Maple of Carrollton. Arrangements are by Allmon-Dugger-Cotton Funeral Home in Carrollton.

That sucks to hear. I always hate hearing about these guys dying so young. Always makes me wonder why I do all this in the first place. But then I go right back to doing it and never learn.

On a different note

I'm not too sure the title "9,000 needles" is the best title for a documentary about a body builder. I know it's because of the acupuncture, but I'm sure we can all see how that could be misconstrued.

F'n aye! I remember him well as he would shred up. He went to Vince's league and never did well after that. He was the rocknroll wild child.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJLn7AKGY0]9000 Needles Documentary - Devin Dearth - YouTube[/ame]

David Dearth was the pro.

This is "Devin". Extremely sad regardless.

Wow made me tear up no joke damn that is real sadd

Wow rip very sad.its amazing u can be on test and dbol and feel and look like u on top of the world and untouchable and the next minute u are in his shoes looking at your family from a bed view thinking to yourself what the hell was I thinking.look at me now.

Boy that was tough to watch!!! A tragedy for sure..RIP....These post always make me think about what im doing......but then i put things in perspective as theyre so rare, few and far between..more chance of dying crossing the road, choking on food or even suffering from anaphylactic shock through nuts and totally out of the blue....

Just like whats accepted by the general public..non trainers who'd be only to happy to jump on the band wagon of criticising bodybuilder' lifestyles...they themselves out getting drunk...many falling over as a result...banging theyre heads and dying from bleeds and swelling to the brain etc...

All still very tragic....

F'n aye! I remember him well as he would shred up. He went to Vince's league and never did well after that. He was the rocknroll wild child.

I think you're thinking about David Dearth?

Wow .. I can say the video hit me the same way it hit all you .. I guess cause we can kind of all put ourselves there though we dread it never happens. Very emotional.

R.I.P. Devin Dearth

Last edited:
I'm 50 and let me tell everyone that unless you are smart and very lucky (Actually forget about the smart) one's bad habits tend to catch up to them in your mid to late 40s. Play at your own risk.

So sad...what a life to live after the stroke. Condolences but he is in a better place for sure.

Wow .. I can say the video hit me the same way it hit all you .. I guess cause we can kind of all put ourselves there though we dread it never happens. Very emotional.

R.I.P. Devin Dearth

U had me cracking up with your sig :D

Wow made me tear up no joke damn that is real sadd

Very touching documentary, made me tear up as well. I'm glad the acupuncture worked even for a short period of time.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws