over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question on protein requirements

Mega me

Registered
Newbies
I'm trying to figure out my diet plan and want to start with protein requirements.

Right now I am 220lb, about 20% body fat; my goal is to diet down to 10%; and I'm taking 200mg test e/week.

Should I figure 1g protein per pound body weight (220lbs) or per pound lean body mass (176lbs)?

Your get varying opinions on this. I like to keep protein at 300 as long as possible dropping mabey to 250 towards end as I really need to get calories down. Ig per lb of bodyweight a reasonable guide though. The less carbs you eat the more protein your need though. Depends on your dietary approach. The test will help put the protein to muscle building use though so id go per lb of totaltotal not lean body mass.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I used to be anal about getting at least 300 grams per day. Now I seldom get over 150. It has made no difference in my physique. These days I eat more good fats and that is my preference.

That old 1 gram per pound of body weight theory I always thought was maintaining methodology and not gaining?

Im 260 and eat roughly 420 grams a day depending on the day

That old 1 gram per pound of body weight theory I always thought was maintaining methodology and not gaining?

Doesn't matter. Calorie surplus dictates if your gaining or not. You need a certain amount obviously.

I would say keep it at 200 grams at a minimum, but cut out the usual suspects i.e. refined carbs, poor fats, dairy, etc. I have had the most success cutting BF by following a paleo approach. I get my carbs from fruits and vegetables. There are no essential carbohydrates, but there are essential fats and amino acids.

Many studies have shown that .82 grams per lb is all you need and any more will not increase muscle gain. .82 also has a buffer in it to make sure your staying in a positive nitrogen balance. .65 I believe was the actual number studied. Protein needs are drastically over estimated and part of that comes from the supplement companies.

Many studies have shown that .82 grams per lb is all you need and any more will not increase muscle gain. .82 also has a buffer in it to make sure your staying in a positive nitrogen balance. .65 I believe was the actual number studied. Protein needs are drastically over estimated and part of that comes from the supplement companies.

Agreed for the most part. However I think when you start bringing calorie deficits and anabolics into the equation things may change a bit

While I don't disagree that protein requirements are overstated, were these studies done on chemically enhanced athletes? I'd imagine there's a difference.

No matter what I always keep my protein at at least one gram protein per lb of total body weight to maintain my muscle while cutting. As mentioned earlier, when carbs are reduced protein should be increased. Helps me stay big while I get lean every time

I thinks proteins are alternative of all the diet foods that you plan to eat with workout that play many critical roles in the body. And proteins are made up of hundreds or thousands of smaller units called amino acids.

I try to shoot for 1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight, but I'm learning more and more about the importance of adding healthy fats to my diet and it's starting to make a difference.

I like @35-50gm per meal depending on where I am at in things. eat when hungry and let the totals fall where they may.
-JS

While I don't disagree that protein requirements are overstated, were these studies done on chemically enhanced athletes? I'd imagine there's a difference.

Protein turnover can increase up to 40% with AAs. This also happens when you take T3 up to 20%.

So if you fall into one or both of those, it is wise to increase protein. Most won't need more than 200-300 depending on lean mass and how much drugs you are on, unless your not getting enough calories.

I try to shoot for 1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight, but I'm learning more and more about the importance of adding healthy fats to my diet and it's starting to make a difference.

I like @35-50gm per meal depending on where I am at in things. eat when hungry and let the totals fall where they may.
-JS

Both of these are more or less true for me.
When dieting, especially on low carbs/ Keto, I like high protein.

Is it necessary? Maybe not. But it works for me so I'll keep doing it this way.

Both of these are more or less true for me.
When dieting, especially on low carbs/ Keto, I like high protein.

Is it necessary? Maybe not. But it works for me so I'll keep doing it this way.

Freakin Sandpig! How the hell you been?

If you need some cheap extra protein, sardines are a good way to get it. Also jam packed with micronutrients, along with omega-3s.

I usually get around 150-250. It really depends on the day, what I decided to eat, etc.

On a budget it's tough to eat over 250 grams of protein daily... if you want to do it with non-garbage foods.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity