over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest-- Am I overtraining?

GaryHooster

Newbies
Every week when i train my chest I am sore for 2 or 3 days afterwards. It really screws up my schedule cause I like to do back the day after but sometimes I am unable. I am definitely eating enough protein. My other body parts i train are never this sore. Also I haven't been getting any stronger with my chest in a year or so. I feel like I am doing something wrong but just can't pinpoint it. If I'm not sore i feel like I'm doing too little. Im 33 years old now haven't taken anything in a few years and I'm a little out of shape. Any Suggestions? Or any help.

thanks

I do 7 different exercises at 4 sets of 10
incline
bench
decline
flys
incline flys
decline flys
dips

I can do 1/3 of that and grow.

I do 3 working sets of decline press and 3 for dips. 6 total sets. I get sore and make decent gains doing it this way. Your chest routine would burn me out quickly.

I can do one-seventh of that and grow, not including warm-up. That is extreme. I could see doing that on a rare occasion to switch things up. Don't worry about soreness. Worry about getting bigger and stronger.

I can stand in front of the mirror and just imagine myself lifting weights and still grow..

Seriously though, try doing like 4 exercises and hit them hard and heavy.
Don't you feel burned out after the first couple of exercises?

Maybe its time to hit some supersupps to get you further :)

Only way to find out is to reduce volume and see what happens.

I think it is too much but only experimenting will tell. I find if I want a body want to grow I decrease volume per session and increase frequency per week i.e. 6 sets on chest split 2 sets on three workouts.

I would change it up you don't need to do all that... I would alternate... One workout I would use the bar then the next time you do chest use dumbbells or however your doing your flys.

Eeek, 28 sets for chest???!!! :eek: My shoulders would probably be snap-crackle-popping for over a week.

Me, I'd cut out all of the flyes and the decline bench and see where that puts you. You'd probably be able to hit back the next day and get back to doing chest sooner, if you were so inclined (pun intended haha!)

Every week when i train my chest I am sore for 2 or 3 days afterwards. It really screws up my schedule cause I like to do back the day after but sometimes I am unable. I am definitely eating enough protein. My other body parts i train are never this sore. Also I haven't been getting any stronger with my chest in a year or so. I feel like I am doing something wrong but just can't pinpoint it. If I'm not sore i feel like I'm doing too little. Im 33 years old now haven't taken anything in a few years and I'm a little out of shape. Any Suggestions? Or any help.

thanks

I do 7 different exercises at 4 sets of 10
incline
bench
decline
flys
incline flys
decline flys
dips

Out.Of.Your.Mind.

There's a reason almost no one does 28 sets for chest. I also think you already know the answer to your question.

Either that or you have never read a single bodybuilding publication and have almost no contact with other bodybuilders. I doubt the latter is the case.

You'd probably be better suited on 3 sets of push-ups done at home.

do you spend 3 hours at the gym?
i thought i was pushing it volume wise with my ~15 sets, lol.

intensity must suck and i bet most of the sets you are just "mentally" preparing for the next set which will inadvertently suck like the previous

In my opinion that's too much volume especially since you are not taking "supplements" at this time. Another important factor is your nutrition. Are you eating to grow?

Holy shit. I do 2 exercises for chest with 4 "working sets" concentric failure and I'm toast.

Incline DB > incline fly

Next workout

Decline BB or Incline BB > peck deck

I do 3 working sets of decline press and 3 for dips. 6 total sets. I get sore and make decent gains doing it this way. Your chest routine would burn me out quickly.

Ha, this is pretty much my routine. Got a confession to make though, I do my dips on a machine, in my defense though im getting old :banghead:

are you growing an/or getting stronger? if not then that could well be the reason.

I don't think that many exercises or sets is crazy. I train with this kind of volume because that's the only way I can get my body to respond. The thing is, everybody is different and they need to find what works for them. That being said, I agree with the advice to switch it up.

Gary H - What percentage of your max are you lifting during each set? With that much volume you shouldn't be going above 80%. How much water are you drinking? Hydration and electrolyte balance play a key role in DOMS. Are you using good pre/intra/post nutrition? It's not just protein.

Try less sets if you're maxing out or less weight. Play around, see what makes your body respond.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear