over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Every Set Close to Failure?

NickEdge779

Newbies
Do you personally train every set to failure?

For example, you do 1 warmup set to find out what weight is good for your next 3 working sets, then you do the same weight for all 3 sets, taking it to failure or like 1 rep short of failure every set.

So a typical exercise like DB Incline Bench:

70x15 warmup

100x12 failure on 12th rep
100x10 failure on 10th rep
100x8 failure on 8th rep

(or as close to failure as possible, like 1 rep shy of true failure)

I see some interviews with guru's saying they only have their clients do 1 warmup set, 2 ramping sets, and 1 working set to failure. How does this compare to 1 warmup set with 3 working sets to near failure like listed above?

Personally, I don't go to all out failure till my last set. (4 to 5 sets) That's with my heaviest weight, pyramid style. Failure on every set is too draining for me, I do btw 12-16 sets per bodypart

I change it up, at the moment most of my lifts are 3 sets 12-15 reps. DB bench was 125 x 15, 15, 15 last workout.

Last set was pretty much till failure, had to have a spot the last few reps.

I also believe in chasing the pump and listening to your body, for me, going in the 5-8 rep range has always resulted in something negative whereas I have great results keeping things 12-15 for upper body and 15-50 reps for legs.

Just find out what works for you and stick with it.

I've played around quite a bit with both methods and for me I get better results strength wise training to failure, now physique wise it's very hard to say I always think I look my best when I train to failure on nearly every set though. Also sometimes I think too much when I don't go to failure like my mind says okay that's probably 2 reps short of failure when maybe I really could have done 3-4 more it involves more thinking in a way , it''s kind of weird to explain but I feel like my mind starts being a whuss. When I go to failure I just tell myself just give it your all until you cant do anymore. Imo this style has always fit my best. I definitely leave the gym a bit drained both physically and mentally. Takes me an hour or two at least to get my energy back. I don't train with too much volume per bodypart ( no more than 6 sets per body part ) , and only train like 3 days a week splitting it up between upper and lower body days. This would be a totally different scenario if I trained with heavy volume and a greater training frequency .

I change the amount of reps/sets every 6 weeks or so. I also alternate between failure on every set DC principles. All about shocking the muscle right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nope, just before failure. Could probably squeeze in 1-2 more reps depending on the exercise.

I've done this for quite some time. What your talking about but honestly I don't recover very well from so much muscle breakdown. I've switched over to warming up very well and taking 1 set of each exercise to failure. But that one set is an all out working set. Which usually includes depending on how many reps are achieved, drop sets rest pause forced reps and sometimes all three or maybe just two of those intensity techniques together.

This works way better for me. It's kind of like Dorian Yates style training. This works so much better for my body type becaus my body thrives on adaptation.

Do you personally train every set to failure?

For example, you do 1 warmup set to find out what weight is good for your next 3 working sets, then you do the same weight for all 3 sets, taking it to failure or like 1 rep short of failure every set.

So a typical exercise like DB Incline Bench:

70x15 warmup

100x12 failure on 12th rep
100x10 failure on 10th rep
100x8 failure on 8th rep

(or as close to failure as possible, like 1 rep shy of true failure)

I see some interviews with guru's saying they only have their clients do 1 warmup set, 2 ramping sets, and 1 working set to failure. How does this compare to 1 warmup set with 3 working sets to near failure like listed above?

Another thing you have to take into consideration is your mind muscle connection, which is so very much important when it comes to training. You have to find what works for you The Dorian Yates style is great, John meadows training is awesome too. Two completely different styles but both utilize TUT(time under tension) experimentation is the only way to find out how your body will grow. And if you train like a pussy nothing will work for you

Every workout is different. Although I tend to go to complete failure on the last set of each exercise. Although if I am warmed fully up I may just do 1 set for some movements. Generally though I do 2-5 sets for most exercises with the first being a warm up of 20 reps or so. The next few are not too far from failure but the last always takes everything I have. I tend to move up in weight with every set but that's isn't written in stone either.

failure and ‘Stimulating Growth by Arthur Jones’

Stimulating Growth

By Arthur Jones

There is an obvious threshold in exercise…a threshold below which, no increase in strength will be produced.

Regardless of the amount of exercise, it might well be called the “threshold to results.” This threshold is
related to the intensity of effort. It has no relationship to the amount of exercise, except that intensity limits
the possible amount of exercise. If the intensity of an exercise is below this threshold, below a certain level,
then you can train for years with nothing in the way of resulting strength increases. But if the intensity is
above a certain level, then strength increases will be produced rapidly. And it seems that the higher the intensity,
the faster the strength increases will be produced…or, at least, they will be if you don’t make the mistake of
overtraining, of training too much. Unfortunately nobody knows exactly what level of intensity is required to
produce maximum strength increases. Another troublesome factor is introduced by the fact that it is almost
impossible to measure the intensity of an exercise. And yet a third factor adds even more confusion to the situation
…the simple fact that most people have absolutely no idea what you mean when you use the word “intensity”.
Intensity is probably best defined as…”percentage of momentary ability.” The key word is that definition being
MOMENTARY. Maximum intensity simply means that you are producing as much muscular force as you are
MOMENTARILY capable of doing…that you are working as “hard” as possible…moving the available resistance
as fast as possible…or pulling as hard as possible against a resistance that you can’t move. So it is possible to
measure maximum intensity. When you are doing all you can at that moment, then the intensity is 100%. But
just how do you measure a level of intensity that is anything less than 100%. During almost all forms of exercise,
the level of intensity is constantly changing, as the following example will show. At the start of an exercise, you
might be capable of producing 500 pounds of force…but if you used 500 pounds of resistance, then you could
perform only one repetition. So, instead, you use only 400 pounds of resistance…which will permit several repetitions.

Thus, during the first repetition, you are required to produce only 400 pounds of force. When, at that moment, you
could have produced 500 pounds…so the intensity level was 80%. The first repetition did NOT produce a maximum
level of intensity, but it did reduce your momentary strength. So, when you start the second repetition, your momentary
level of strength might be only 450. But again you are required to produce only enough force to lift the available
400 pounds of resistance, so the intensity is still not 100%. But it is higher than it was during the first repetition.

During the second repetition, the intensity level is 90%…because you are then using a higher percentage of your
MOMENTARY strength. And again your momentary strength level will be reduced, perhaps to a point where you are
apable of producing only 400 pounds of force. Thus the third repetition will result in an intensity of 100%…because,
at the moment, you are required to produce 400 pounds of force in order to lift the weight, and that figure represents
100% of your momentary ability. The only factor that changed during the three repetitions was intensity, everything
else remained constant. The weight was the same in all three repetitions, the distance of movement was the same,
and the speed of movement was the same. The amount of work performed was also exactly the same during each
repetition. The energy consumed, the heat produced, the oxygen required… everything remained constant, except
the level of intensity. It should now be obvious that intensity is not related to the amount of work, nor the production
of power. Instead, intensity is a relative term…directly related to the percentage of your momentary ability that
you are actually using.

It is my personal opinion that an intensity of effort of 100% will produce the fastest rate of strength increases…and if
not, then something very close to 100% is required. But my opinion is based strictly on experience, and cannot be
supported by tests or research, because no practical tests exist for the purpose of measuring intensity. It might well be…
it could be…it is possible that a level of intensity somewhat below 100% is all that is required for producing maximum
strength increases. But even if we knew that to be true, how could we measure it? How would we know that we were
producing the proper level of intensity? SO…even if we knew that, for example, a level of intensity of only 90% was just
as productive as a higher level, this information would be of no use to us. Because we would never be able to measure it,
we would never know if we were producing that level of intensity.

In effect, not knowing just where the “threshold to results” is to be found, we must always be sure that we are going high
enough to reach it…and the only way to be sure is to go as high as possible, to a point of momentary muscular failure,
which is the only point where we can be sure of our level of intensity. If you have performed as many repetitions as possible,
and if the last repetition was almost IMPOSSIBLE, and if another repetition is impossible…then your level of intensity reached
100% during the final repetition. Having done so, you have stimulated the muscles as much as you can…additional exercise on
that day for the same muscles is neither necessary nor desirable. But if, instead, you stopped even a few repetitions short
of a point of momentary muscular failure, then you may have done little or nothing to stimulate muscular growth or strength
increases. Maybe you did, although I don’t think so…and maybe you didn’t; but in either case, you can never be sure.
Whereas, if you had continued to a point of muscular failure, then you would be sure. Years ago, people performed thousands
of repetitions of callisthenics…with little or nothing in the way of resulting strength increases. Because the intensity of effort is
far too low during such exercises. Later, much better results were produced by the use of Indian Clubs. Even though the amount
of exercise was greatly reduced. Better results were produced because the intensity was increased. More recently, even better
results were produced by the use of barbells. And again, the amount of exercise was reduced. Step by step, the available
resistance was increased…so it might appear that the better results were produced by the increased resistance. But that
appearance is misleading. The increased resistance was a requirement, a prerequisite…but it was not the actual factor responsible
for the improved production of results. Instead, the increased resistance made it possible to work at a higher level of intensity…
and it was the raised intensity that improved the results. During callisthenics, when no added resistance was available, it is possible
to perform literally thousands of repetitions…and as a result, such exercises are normally terminated far short of an actual point
of muscular failure. You might become winded, or the muscles might start hurting so much that you are unwilling to continue…
but the muscles could continue, so you have failed to reach a level of high-intensity. With Indian Clubs, the added resistance
makes the situation somewhat better. It is no longer possible to perform as many repetitons as you could during unweighted
calisthenics, so you are likely to apprach an actual point of muscular failure. The number of possible repetitions is stil far too high,
but the increased level of intensity will greatly improve the production of results. 3

With a barbell, the great increase in available resistance makes it impossible to perform more than a few repetitions…or it will of
you use enough weight, and you should. You should use ENOUGH weight, but not TOO MUCH. Thus it becomes possible to reach
an actual level of momentary muscular failure…and it becomes NESESSARY to reduce the amount of exercise. When you increase
the intensity of exercise, then you must reduce the amount of exercise. A widespread failure to understand this simple point has
done more to damage the cause of exercise than any other factor of which I am aware. It is easily possible for a man to walk 3
0 miles a day for a period of years…but doing so will do little or nothing to increase his strength. But it is NOT possible for a man
to run 30 miles a day at top speed…and even attempting to do so will produce losses in strength. The “amount” of work would
be exactly the same in either case…but the “intensity” of work would not be the same. And the faster you run, the less you can
stand to run…a sprinter does not train, literally MUST NOT TRAIN, like a distance runner. Sprinting requires a brief but very high-
intensity effort, and if such a level of performance is repeated frequently then losses in strength (and thus losses in speed) will be
produced. Growth of a muscular mass, and thus an increase in strength, is stimulated by high-intensity work; but such work makes
demands on the recovery ability of the body that cannot easily be met, so the amount of such high-intensity work must be strictly
limited. Failing to understand this relationship between the “amount” of work and the “intensity” or work, most trainees are tempted
to do more than is required. But the result is not merely a waste of time and energy; instead, the result is usually a total lack of results…
or, at best, very poor results. BECAUSE…you can NOT have both. You can perform a large amount of work…OR, you can perform high-
intensity work. But not both. So if you insist on increasing the amount of exercise, then you will be forced to reduce the intensity of
exercise; you have no choice in the matter. But even when the implications of high-intensity exercise are clearly understood, practical
application is still not easy. Because high-intensity exercise is certainly NOT an “easy” way to train.

In an earlier chapter, I mentioned that the forces involved, and thus the chances of injury, are actually REDUCED in the final, seemingly
hardest, repetition. Yet many people are still tempted to avoid the last few possible repetitions under the mistaken impression that they
are thus avoiding the most dangerous repetitions…when in fact, the last few repetitions are actually the SAFEST repetitions, and by far
the most productive ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every set to failure. Not everyone has what it takes to do this day in and day out but most people are little bitches.

Every set to failure. Not everyone has what it takes to do this day in and day out but most people are little bitches.

I guess it depends on how many sets per body part. and what you call a working set. I take almost every working set to failure , but I do only one or two of them per exercise , with a few preparation set before.

IMO, one big consideration is how experienced the trainee is. This is a generalization, but most newer trainees, training 3 years or less I'd say, for the most party are not always going to be able to generate the intensity to go to true failure. That in mind, they may say, I'm going to failure but really have a rep left in the tank if they dug hard enough. With that in mind, they would need multiple sets to generate the stimulus to grow.

Conversely, you take an experienced trainee, they warm up and then crush a set to absolute failure and control the negative so the eccentric is overloaded. From that one set to failure they've induced probably a great growth stimulus that someone performing multiple sets not quite to failure.

However, this is not to say that training close to failure will not yield results. It will, but volume and frequency will have to be manipulated within the program accordingly

Another consideration is as folks get a little up in age and joints can't handle as heavy of a load. They may not be able to bury a heavy ass set taken to true failure, but by increasing the volume of training and lightening up the load, yet taking those lighter sets to or close to failure, they still generate a growth stimulus but ease the stress on the joints.

i do mainly drop sets and supersets/tri/quad sets so i go pretty much to failure each time. i've never seemed to respond well with going super heavy in the low rep range, and i'm not really looking for strength or size increases @ this stage in my life. it works for me.

the problem is that EVERY single person that I've talked to says they train "intense"... I've never heard someone reply to me asking how their training is and they say- meh, i work out kinda like a pussy lol... you watch 95% do their sets and you know they have a good 3 reps+ left in the tank but they just rack it up and don't wanna face that pain of the last few...

As I'm getting older I like training for the pump instead of the
heavy weights. I do a lot of dropsets supersets to maximize the
pump.
I do go to faillure every set
I'm injuryfree for years and keep gaining...

I gain a lot faster training heavy but I get injured
this way after a while...

I need to listin to my body.
The muscle mind connection is very important if you train lighter.
That's the key.
Also I change things up a lot to keep shocking the body

Last edited:
that's exactly where i am in my training. plus, i just enjoy it more.

Honestly as a Jones Mentzer fanatic for years I feel that heavy is more important than failure. Heavy then hard. But a set of 100 pushups isnt as effective as a heavy set of bench 6 to 8 reps

70x15 warmup
1 working set
100x12 failure on 12th rep (15s pause
100x10 failure on 10th rep (15s pause)
100x8 failure on 8th rep
add some stretching and you have DC training

every set of to failure all the time is setting oneself up for injury. ive trained ast, dc and hit without letting up for years and got seriously injured.

Now a days Ive learn I must cycle intensity maybe going 5-6 weeks all out and maybe a month going more faster paces and still training good, trying new exercises etc

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear