over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No carbs for breakfast or pre workout?

Thebigone

Kilo Klub Member
I was reading up a little on Ben Pakulski's diet and a few things seemed interesting. He recommends your first meal of the day to be only protein and fats because the first meal of the day will determine your insulin sensitivity for the rest of the day. He also recommends no carbs pre-workout only fats and proteins for increased GH output. Your last carb meal should be three hours before your workout. I don't really care about the increased GH output because I'm already on peptides and GH but I was thinking this could this be beneficial for dieting because you would actually be burning fat during your workout and your post workout cardio? If your pre-workout meal is only fats and proteins and you were doing higher volume higher intensity training your heart rate is going to be high the entire time so wouldn't you be burning fat during your workout because you're not burning carbs? I always thought you can't burn fat during a workout because it's anaerobic? Basically my first meal is at 8 AM I was thinking maybe some egg whites with whey and coconut oil. Then around 10 AM have a carb protein meal and I train around 130 so maybe 1 PM my pre-workout meal could be whey and coconut oil. I'm currently dieting so I figure that's the best of both worlds since you're setting your body up for the proper insulin response for the day by having no carbs for breakfast and you're burning fat throughout your whole workout and post workout cardio from having no carbs pre-workout. Then immediately post workout introduce carbs again and have carb protein only meals for the next few meals. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

All this is theoretical in regards to any of these practices having a DISCERNIBLE effect on body composition. I say go with what makes you feel the best.

And seriously, all this bullshit (what I think much of this sort of nutrient timing is) has not been followed by god knows how many people who perform and change their body compositions just fine, let alone the best bodybuilders who ever lived who did not follow it!

If there is any increased GH output from going zero carb, it is so negligible that it won't have any damn effect on fat loss or performance or muscle gain. Same goes for T or GH "spikes" that happen from different workout protocols.

Last edited:
I didn't read the whole post cause it was too long, but I eat low carb for my first 2 meals. At around 9a and 12p. I have about 15 carbs total then workout around 2ish.
Works well for me but as my bf gets low, I have to have Intra workout carbs(karbolyn, hbcd, or glucose tabs) otherwise my workouts suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fugg that... I have to have my oats in the morning... :headbang:

Its seriously trial and error. Try things for yourself. Its the only way to know. I've been keto my entire prep and it works. Never in a million years would i have done this, but here i am.

IMO, very foolish. If no carbs during workout, which causes imbalance in our body energy levels. Meanwhile, the process of protein is converted into energy in our body, will be slower and more difficult. And I often get some carbs food am to maintain a good mood and start workout.:headbang:

I never have carbs with breakfast unless it's pre workout. I used to think carbs pre workout were essential but the more I've read and the observed, the less I think it matters.

Have you read what b-pak posts on facebook? Honestly, I hope someone else runs that account other then him. It is advice that he doesn't even follow. I remember one of his posts saying how he barely eats any carbs , even while he is trying to grow. He avoids carbs in the morning, and that is great. Giving generalized advice to people that are not at his level makes little sense. He didn't get that big by not eating carbs lol

^^^ I have noticed he contradicts himself at times. I have read a few articles about how no carbs in the morning benefits the rest of the day's insulin sensitivity but he's the only one I've heard to say no carbs pre workout.

Maybe it depends on where an individual is at and their goals. I don't understand the no carb pre workout thought process though. Maybe higher fat and sodium you could get a decent pump?

I'm sure no carbs pre workout is a very important source of pakulksi's gh

Have you read what b-pak posts on facebook? Honestly, I hope someone else runs that account other then him. It is advice that he doesn't even follow. I remember one of his posts saying how he barely eats any carbs , even while he is trying to grow. He avoids carbs in the morning, and that is great. Giving generalized advice to people that are not at his level makes little sense. He didn't get that big by not eating carbs lol

I actually think it's very possible to get huge without eating many carbs, as long as calories are still high with protein and fats. I think we, as bodybuilders, are taught to think carbs are what make us grow but not many of us have tried to grow on low carbs. From what I've seen, the small few who have, have been happy with their results. I've seen a couple of people said they got great results putting on muscle following keto.

I actually think it's very possible to get huge without eating many carbs, as long as calories are still high with protein and fats. I think we, as bodybuilders, are taught to think carbs are what make us grow but not many of us have tried to grow on low carbs. From what I've seen, the small few who have, have been happy with their results. I've seen a couple of people said they got great results putting on muscle following keto.

Agreed. Iabadman has been talking about this for years.

I'm pretty sure Poliquin was the one who influenced Pakulski on the low carb AM meals; he was working with him for a while a few years back.

I follow something like this only for my own personal reasons. I sometimes don't eat carbs until after work and the gym. I don't eat breakfast, work a very physical job for a few hours in the morning, then eat a big egg white omelet and no carbs. Then workout.

I do this because i can't stop eating junk before bed. So I try to do things to help my insulin resistance earlier in the day.

Everyone's different though. I personally can train on empty stomach. A good 2 hour workout too. Other people need carbs to function

I do know 1 thing for certain, John Meadows stated that if you start to gain fat, cut the carbs out of your meal furthest away from you workout. ie, if you work out at 5pm and have carbs in your breakfast, cut those if you start gaining unwanted fat.

Everyone is different, their bodies react differently than others. So it's a trial and error many times to see what works best for YOU. Then begs the question, are you natty or "enhanced"? That plays a big role in this equation, as well as your starting point and your goals. Are you trying to add size, drop bf, are you fat, skinny, skinny-fat, lean? What are your workouts like, HIT, high volume etc?

Many variables to throw out a blanket answer imo

Maybe it depends on where an individual is at and their goals. I don't understand the no carb pre workout thought process though. Maybe higher fat and sodium you could get a decent pump?

I think it's geared towards if you are dieting. Since carbs are burned during training if your pre workout meal is protein and fats then the fats are used as energy during training so you are burning fat while you are actually training which is normally not possible since its anerobic. At least that's what I got out of him saying.

I gave up eating food at all. Fat people eat food - therefore food makes you fat.

I do know 1 thing for certain, John Meadows stated that if you start to gain fat, cut the carbs out of your meal furthest away from you workout. ie, if you work out at 5pm and have carbs in your breakfast, cut those if you start gaining unwanted fat.

I agree... when I get close (2 weeks out) i'll remove the oats I have in Meal 1.... keeping my minimal carbs pre,peri,post ..... then lastly keep em peri... but shit im never fat anyways... :headbang:

I agree... when I get close (2 weeks out) i'll remove the oats I have in Meal 1.... keeping my minimal carbs pre,peri,post ..... then lastly keep em peri... but shit im never fat anyways... :headbang:

Stop trying to dispute my "food makes you fat" theory!!! :D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity