Featured Member / Verified Customer
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
Just had my hernia repaired Wed.
Gotta tell ya that shit Hurts!
Could not move for the 1st 2 days as my abs were totally locked up. I think the Dr. went a bit overkill as he stated he used a thicker than normal mesh and over 25 tacks into my abdominal wall.
Went in purely for cosmetic purposes as I was tired of my Outy. Feels like a big mistake. Severe pain even just breathing and trying to clear your throat was terrible.
Now 5 days into recovery I still have to sleep on the couch as getting out of bed is a bitch. Good news I finally went Poop 5 days later but down 12-15 pds to 240....

I had mine done about 2 years ago and the pain was bad the first few days I found myself bending over when walking to keep from stretching out. I will say mine was for cosmetics too and now that I have healed up I am happy with the way it looks now.

Getting mine done in December if the VA cooperates. Not looking forward to it.

Just had my hernia repaired Wed.
Gotta tell ya that shit Hurts!
Could not move for the 1st 2 days as my abs were totally locked up. I think the Dr. went a bit overkill as he stated he used a thicker than normal mesh and over 25 tacks into my abdominal wall.
Went in purely for cosmetic purposes as I was tired of my Outy. Feels like a big mistake. Severe pain even just breathing and trying to clear your throat was terrible.
Now 5 days into recovery I still have to sleep on the couch as getting out of bed is a bitch. Good news I finally went Poop 5 days later but down 12-15 pds to 240....

Hey, get a small ,stiff pillow to keep against your abbs for when you sneeze or cough. That helped me tremendously. If your a week, the pain will lesson rapidly from this point on. Hang in there buddy. :)

CG

Umbilical Hernia

I had my done about 15 years ago. It was painful before the surgery and of course painful after the surgery. Glad I had it done. It was cosmetic as well. Huge difference in the look. When down to single digit BF you can actually see the screw heads.

Last edited:
I sure hope that is not the case with me, as I normally run around 6% all year!
Screwheads does not sound very cosmetic! lol
At least an Outy is somewhat natural.
I'll have to change my name to Concrete and Steel!

It does hurt, mine hurt worse than the 2 inguinal hernias I had repaired. I had all 3 done at once. The umbilical hurt for about 1 week or so. Just be careful you don't blow it out again. I blew mine out a small bit about 6 months later. I haven't had it repaired again. Its fairly small but you can see it. They tell you the mesh wont give way, but mine sure did. It is not indestructible.

I know now I wont hit any weight for atleast another week.
At this point I think it will take a full 2 weeks to not hurt.

I plan on going back very slowly for 2 mnths while on a so called hrt dose.
I'll use pre workouts and high reps w -Des to stimulate blood flow, plus sauna and massage.
I figure a full 6 weeks I should be able to train abs directly and start back on some heavier weights.
After tearing half my Hammy just over 2 yrs ago all heavy deads and squats are out anyway.

Get an abdominal binder. I had no mesh, I trained calves a day before the surgery; my calves were hurting more than my surgical site

I know now I wont hit any weight for atleast another week.
At this point I think it will take a full 2 weeks to not hurt.

I plan on going back very slowly for 2 mnths while on a so called hrt dose.
I'll use pre workouts and high reps w -Des to stimulate blood flow, plus sauna and massage.
I figure a full 6 weeks I should be able to train abs directly and start back on some heavier weights.
After tearing half my Hammy just over 2 yrs ago all heavy deads and squats are out anyway.

Deads are how I think I blew my patch out.

Deads are how I think I blew my patch out.

Maldorf and other guys who have had hernias: why do some guys train heavy their entire careers and never get them and others do? Obviously genetics probably a large part of this but are there any things you guys that have gotten hernias feel contributed to yours? excessive breath holding?

concreter how did yours happen?

Heavy Deads For Sure...
Holding my breathe maxing out.
I've always had a back like a Crain but again your body gets older and the weak link bears it's evil head!
Yr's back doing heavy squats to the floor busted out my 1st and only Hemroid!

i had a very small umbilical herina surgery done last may.

It was so small that they only used stitches bc the insurance company wouldnt pay for mesh bc it was so tiny.

it still bothers me today and certain exercises like db rows i can't do any more with out pain. also heavy direct ab work is little painful too.

funny thing is deadlifting and squats don't bother me at all.

good luck man

Shit that sucks.
It's day 6 and I still feel like I was butchered....
Should of known better than trust in a Dr.

I spend 10hrs getting a driveway broken out, prepped and poured with all attention to detail to give the owner something they can be happy with to make maybe $1000.
These Dr's
Blow right threw you as fast as they can then have some intern put on the final dressing which none stuck. Plus a Hematoma!!! and make $10,000 an hour..

I also had a growth the size of a pencil eraser removed from my arm and that Gash is 2" long!!!

FK'N HACK JOBERS

Shit that sucks.
It's day 6 and I still feel like I was butchered....
Should of known better than trust in a Dr.

I spend 10hrs getting a driveway broken out, prepped and poured with all attention to detail to give the owner something they can be happy with to make maybe $1000.
These Dr's
Blow right threw you as fast as they can then have some intern put on the final dressing which none stuck. Plus a Hematoma!!! and make $10,000 an hour..

I also had a growth the size of a pencil eraser removed from my arm and that Gash is 2" long!!!

FK'N HACK JOBERS

Yea bro, if i could go back i would have never had the surgery!

Must be the surgeon because I had my umbilical hernia fixed in 2007 and a small ventral hernia about an inch above the belly button fixed this July. Both without mesh, but neither hurt very much at all. I've yet to head back to the gym since this last surgery (also had gallbladder taken out), but it appears to be fine...will find out when I get back in the gym. I fell down full speed running right smack down on my shoulder on the cement running from like 20-30 wasp chasing my ass, a week prior to my gallbladder surgery. I can't do shit with my shoulder, it pisses me off so bad. I need to get in to have it checked out by the doc, but have been so busy with life stuff since my surgery, I've yet to go in. I'm 4 months post-hernia surgery now, so I really need to go in and at least concerntrate on legs and just getting back into the environment.

I had umbilical hernia surgery back around Labor Day 2009...I didn't lift for like two+ months and it wasn't until the New Year that I waited to lift heavy. I know there are guys that said they were back lifting heavy within days, etc...that wasn't my experience at all. No chance in hell that was happening with my me/my experience.

The first few days sucked...I could barely move and getting up or out of bed was very painful. Actually, the first night was terrible once the pain meds wore off and the bed was soaked in blood.

The first month I was out of the gym, second month was some light cardio...then light lifting...then back at it. The doc wanted me to be smart (as did my wife, so I promised her I'd listen to him).

He went right thru my belly button, so there is no scar (or it's minimal if you really, really look inside the belly button) and you can feel 'something' there, but other than that, there is nothing noticeable that anything happened.

Good luck...hope you heal up/rest up and get back to it safely soon....

-s

I've always had a normal belly button but about 18 months ago I notice the top inside has a small part I guess dropping down, like a half marble look.

Fast forward to about a month ago and I notice if I push on that spot it goes in and out like an accordion and I've bumped into my counter a few times that just happens to line up with it and yep, it hurts!

Went to the doctor just two days ago and is sending me for an ultrasound and mentioned it was an umbilical hernia probably but they don't fix them, unless of course its causing me pain.

So I assume its eventually gonna get worse doing heavy deads or squats over the years? I'm almost 50 now but when I first noticed this about 18 months ago I hadn't been lifting much due to an injury....the surgery doesn't sound fun.

Try using the peptide bpc157, seems to be working great on my rear delt.

My hernia started out the same way, a slight fold on top and took 4yrs to become a full outy.

I recommend a belt, or abb compression belt while going heavy on deads and squats now...A bit late for me..lol

7 day checkup today...Still looks and feels like Crap!!!
Bruising around my entire waist line from internal bleeding and my hematoma is smaller but still there...

Hitting the TB500 for 1 more wk and MK daily for what it's worth..?

I've used BPC before in my rear delt also when I had a partial rotator cuff tear.

Are you saying to inject in the area around the umbilical hernia? When I was trying to help my shoulder in a couple of spots I was targeting the front and rear heads and the closest I get to my belly button is sub-q distance :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131