over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Growing after 40?

powerof2

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just wondering if I'm to only one who has a hell of a time getting bigger after 40. I'm going on 42. I can bounce back to a certain weight when I'm bulking but then it's a mother to grow beyond it. I started gh for the first time hoping it will help. What do u guys do to keep it going.

110% or expect to regret it!

Just wondering if I'm to only one who has a hell of a time getting bigger after 40. I'm going on 42. I can bounce back to a certain weight when I'm bulking but then it's a mother to grow beyond it. I started gh for the first time hoping it will help. What do u guys do to keep it going.

I'm gonna be 47 next week and I feel i'm still growing .... My 1st show in 2014 I was 179 on stage..... this year coming up I should be 203 or so.... For me its high test and an ABUNDANCE of calories... pretty pleased .... growing at a steady pace.... btw for me HGH is in year round

Im 53.. def gets harder especially while trying to keep health in check.
I'm 6'2 so if I don't focus on size I look skinny. At this age I don't want to be slamming grams of gear a week so I try to keep the dosages sane and add in GH, IGF and higher amounts of primo, masteron instead of raising the test over a gram when I blast. Low test doesn't do shit for me at 255lbs. Been adding a lot of healthy fats this year and it seems to be working well.

Other than that I still try to lift as heavy as I can and progress in weight/reps on major lifts and keep in lower rep ranges.

Just to let you know, I was ranked #1 and #2 in two different weight classes in the world when I was in my mid 40's to 50 when I did powerlifting. Now at 60, I have stopped powerlifting and do bodybuilding. I am bigger than anyone I see in the gyms here in our nations 4th largest city. Been training now for over 40 years.

I keep very good records of BF, and anthropometric measurements and each year I continue to grow and continue to drop body fat. I am 60 year old and train 5-6 days a week. WHile I have not see your diet and no nothing of how you train, I can tell you that I need much more volume not than I use to. I have to pay much more attention to rest and recovery and keeping injuries in check. Very high protein (1.5-2g/lb) is a must and learning to time nutrients around your training helps. Calories much be high enough to support growth. (17-21 cal/lb/d) I need minimum 3 exercise for each body part using 4-5 sets one of which must be at failure. Rest period i take are 2-3 minutes and the weight is as heavy as I can go. Usually 8-15 reps. Exercises are varied from week to week as much as possible. I also do cardio at about 15-20 min/d (4-5 d/wk) to keep the fat off.

Is it harder that when I was 30? Sure but I know more know and have to be much smarter about how things get done.

My wife is 54 and she still look sliek she is a competitive bodybuilder. She has not slowed down at all and grows easily. My friend, it all in your mind, you either let age put you in a rocking chair or you make up your mind to now let age be your excuse for failure. I have young kids all the time asking me what I do to get so big.

Just to let you know, I was ranked #1 and #2 in two different weight classes in the world when I was in my mid 40's to 50 when I did powerlifting. Now at 60, I have stopped powerlifting and do bodybuilding. I am bigger than anyone I see in the gyms here in our nations 4th largest city. Been training now for over 40 years.

I keep very good records of BF, and anthropometric measurements and each year I continue to grow and continue to drop body fat. I am 60 year old and train 5-6 days a week. WHile I have not see your diet and no nothing of how you train, I can tell you that I need much more volume not than I use to. I have to pay much more attention to rest and recovery and keeping injuries in check. Very high protein (1.5-2g/lb) is a must and learning to time nutrients around your training helps. Calories much be high enough to support growth. (17-21 cal/lb/d) I need minimum 3 exercise for each body part using 4-5 sets one of which must be at failure. Rest period i take are 2-3 minutes and the weight is as heavy as I can go. Usually 8-15 reps. Exercises are varied from week to week as much as possible. I also do cardio at about 15-20 min/d (4-5 d/wk) to keep the fat off.

Is it harder that when I was 30? Sure but I know more know and have to be much smarter about how things get done.

My wife is 54 and she still look sliek she is a competitive bodybuilder. She has not slowed down at all and grows easily. My friend, it all in your mind, you either let age put you in a rocking chair or you make up your mind to now let age be your excuse for failure. I have young kids all the time asking me what I do to get so big.

but are you bigger and leaner now at 60 then ever before?

when this conversation comes up I think one big thing to consider is if you have the history.

a guy like you who has been doing this for 40 years and was at the top of his game prob in later 30s + is totally different then some guy who just started going to the gym at age 30...

you did it already at the time when your body could handle it.
now its just about keeping it up, which is HARD.

the guys who are in there 40s and only been in the gym 5-10 years pushing doses n trying to get bigger worry me.

but are you bigger and leaner now at 60 then ever before?

when this conversation comes up I think one big thing to consider is if you have the history.

a guy like you who has been doing this for 40 years and was at the top of his game prob in later 30s + is totally different then some guy who just started going to the gym at age 30...

you did it already at the time when your body could handle it.
now its just about keeping it up, which is HARD.

the guys who are in there 40s and only been in the gym 5-10 years pushing doses n trying to get bigger worry me.

When I competed in powerlifting I was about 16% BF and weighed anywhere from 275 - 300. I set records in the 275's and 308's and was ranked #2 in the 308's and #1 in the 275's. I had more of the shape of a refrigerator as my training was specific to strength in the 3 lifts. So I have stepped back and totally reshaped my physique in the last 10 years.

Now my shoulders are quite a bit more developed and I have have the V shape of a bodybuilder. I stay less that 8% BF year round. I got down to a low of 3.72% and am bulking back up now. I weight about 270. So I do look bigger because my shape is much different. I am not nearly as strong because strength is no longer my goal. But I am stronger than most anyone in most gyms.

I do agree time spent in the gym paying dues is important. Too may expect to walk in a gym and be a top BB isn a year. Most of out best pros, after many years of training were late in their 30's and early 40's when they hit tops. Ronnie Coleman right now is 52. He won the last Olympia at the age of 40 and his last competition in the Olympia was at 42. Jay Cutler is 42. Dexter Jackson, 47, Phil Heath, 37, Kai Greene, 41, and Branch Warren, 41. Take a look at pictures of Dave Draper now that he is 74 years old. Most 20 year olds would sell their nuts to look that good. I saw him 4 years ago when we traveled to California and he was simply amazing. What an inspiration to keep training hard. Same in powerlifting, Fred Hatfield was the 1st to squats over 1000 l bs at the age of 47.

For you guys who are in the 40's and just got started, its better lat than never. Yo may not ever look like Mr. Olympia, but you won't look like the rest who are your age either. This is called setting reasonable goals. The benefits of strength training at our age is irreplaceable. Changes in the skin, bone mass, immune system, endocrine system etc etc. Not to mention looking younger and having a better self esteem. The downsides is you can't push your self quite as hard and you have to pay more attention to your body. I have had 4 surgeries as a result of not listening, most when I was younger. I wake up hurting but look damn good once I move round and get the blood flowing into the aching muscles.

It my age it has become a lifestyle, something I can't imagine not ever doing. Just my goals change. I am done with competing, done with max strength, just love seeing what I can do with my body using weights.

Its better to start late than to have never started at all. Which is why I love seeing new people i the gyms.

You are right LK3, I can't stand people thinking that taking more of anything is going to substitute for the dedication and hard work it take to develop a great physique. I get asked all the time what supplement do you take, what steroids, etc etc. It doesn't matter. Watch me train, I put in 4 hard exercises before most get off their cell phone texting doing 1 set. Yet they are in the gym 3-4 hours and me only 1-1.5 hours. Most spend 2 hours doing biceps and then wonder why they don't grow. Squats? My knees hurt...damn, so do mine, in fact the friggin 10" scar I have on my right knee should have been enough to give me a lot of excuses.

Steroids we all spend way too much time trying to find the secret formula for growth. Most of the time more is always better. Yet our training sucks. Us older guys need to understand that we have more difficulties getting drugs out of our system. Therefore, we don't need as much and more only causes bigger side effects. Not too wise for older guys as these sides could lead to serious health issues. Spend more time seriously training that loading up with drugs or taking all the latest supplement scams on the market.

Last edited:
BigTex! Hope your well, I used to bounce stuff off you in the early days of Dats board. Wishing u a happy new year old man...

Im 53.. def gets harder especially while trying to keep health in check.
I'm 6'2 so if I don't focus on size I look skinny. At this age I don't want to be slamming grams of gear a week so I try to keep the dosages sane and add in GH, IGF and higher amounts of primo, masteron instead of raising the test over a gram when I blast. Low test doesn't do shit for me at 255lbs. Been adding a lot of healthy fats this year and it seems to be working well.

Other than that I still try to lift as heavy as I can and progress in weight/reps on major lifts and keep in lower rep ranges.

It sure is difficult isnt it? Im 54 now and its hard as hell compared the 40`s. May i ask what are your dosages of masteron ,test and primo?
I have added hydrogen water lately and ozone therapy that has many benefits. I notice the hydrogen water take inflammation away very nicely and they say it reduces lactic acid ,fatigue .So far so good . ill keep doing it..

I'm gonna be 47 next week and I feel i'm still growing .... My 1st show in 2014 I was 179 on stage..... this year coming up I should be 203 or so.... For me its high test and an ABUNDANCE of calories... pretty pleased .... growing at a steady pace.... btw for me HGH is in year round

Very nice gains. I get test up to 1000 and gh at 5iu. How high do u take ur calories. Man I struggle to keep going with 4500 clean calories. It's like my digestive system isn't like it use be

When I competed in powerlifting I was about 16% BF and weighed anywhere from 275 - 300. I set records in the 275's and 308's and was ranked #2 in the 308's and #1 in the 275's. I had more of the shape of a refrigerator as my training was specific to strength in the 3 lifts. So I have stepped back and totally reshaped my physique in the last 10 years.

Now my shoulders are quite a bit more developed and I have have the V shape of a bodybuilder. I stay less that 8% BF year round. I got down to a low of 3.72% and am bulking back up now. I weight about 270. So I do look bigger because my shape is much different. I am not nearly as strong because strength is no longer my goal. But I am stronger than most anyone in most gyms.

I do agree time spent in the gym paying dues is important. Too may expect to walk in a gym and be a top BB isn a year. Most of out best pros, after many years of training were late in their 30's and early 40's when they hit tops. Ronnie Coleman right now is 52. He won the last Olympia at the age of 40 and his last competition in the Olympia was at 42. Jay Cutler is 42. Dexter Jackson, 47, Phil Heath, 37, Kai Greene, 41, and Branch Warren, 41. Take a look at pictures of Dave Draper now that he is 74 years old. Most 20 year olds would sell their nuts to look that good. I saw him 4 years ago when we traveled to California and he was simply amazing. What an inspiration to keep training hard. Same in powerlifting, Fred Hatfield was the 1st to squats over 1000 l bs at the age of 47.

For you guys who are in the 40's and just got started, its better lat than never. Yo may not ever look like Mr. Olympia, but you won't look like the rest who are your age either. This is called setting reasonable goals. The benefits of strength training at our age is irreplaceable. Changes in the skin, bone mass, immune system, endocrine system etc etc. Not to mention looking younger and having a better self esteem. The downsides is you can't push your self quite as hard and you have to pay more attention to your body. I have had 4 surgeries as a result of not listening, most when I was younger. I wake up hurting but look damn good once I move round and get the blood flowing into the aching muscles.

It my age it has become a lifestyle, something I can't imagine not ever doing. Just my goals change. I am done with competing, done with max strength, just love seeing what I can do with my body using weights.

Its better to start late than to have never started at all. Which is why I love seeing new people i the gyms.

You are right LK3, I can't stand people thinking that taking more of anything is going to substitute for the dedication and hard work it take to develop a great physique. I get asked all the time what supplement do you take, what steroids, etc etc. It doesn't matter. Watch me train, I put in 4 hard exercises before most get off their cell phone texting doing 1 set. Yet they are in the gym 3-4 hours and me only 1-1.5 hours. Most spend 2 hours doing biceps and then wonder why they don't grow. Squats? My knees hurt...damn, so do mine, in fact the friggin 10" scar I have on my right knee should have been enough to give me a lot of excuses.

Steroids we all spend way too much time trying to find the secret formula for growth. Most of the time more is always better. Yet our training sucks. Us older guys need to understand that we have more difficulties getting drugs out of our system. Therefore, we don't need as much and more only causes bigger side effects. Not too wise for older guys as these sides could lead to serious health issues. Spend more time seriously training that loading up with drugs or taking all the latest supplement scams on the market.

Good to hear. There is hope for us after 50 .... Alot of it is to do with hard work , positive attitude, dedication ,liking who u are, knowing your body,, good nutrition ,how to heal .stress relief , Yea LOTS OF DRUGS AND CHEAP TALK IS NOT GONNA SUBSTITUTE FOR THAT. Great Motivation post.

If youre getting started late into bodybuilding. we re talking bodybuilding here or even the new category classic physique, which if youre shredded you can still hold an impressive muscle size esp with the conditioning you can look Great

Im glad I started at 21, still not early, but now that Im 35, Ive been big a long time and nice to make small improvements like 5 lbs muscle gain, which is a big improvement if youve been bodybuilding fifteen years

Last edited:
Lot of wisdom in this post. My mental "Highlighter" lit up on a few sentences.

The time between sets mentioned is something I never did until I farted dust. I believe it was important when I was still trying to gain in my advanced years but I have zero proof or evidence that this was beneficial. My thought was, I am doing less exercises, less volume, make each set the best I can give. I would take at least 1.5 minutes if it was an actual work set.

Thanks brother. That's a awesome ranking. I was ranked 3 with my raw bench in 2009 when I won nationals. Never broke into a # 2 much less #1. Wish I could of kept going with it. One surgery in 2001 and I didn't want to go back down that road. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/13636

BigTex! Hope your well, I used to bounce stuff off you in the early days of Dats board. Wishing u a happy new year old man...

Hell yeah I remember you! I am doing great. Retired from my job a few weeks ago. Anyway, not completely retired just taking a new direction in life and getting paid to do it. Happy New Year to you too! Keep in touch!

Thanks brother. That's a awesome ranking. I was ranked 3 with my raw bench in 2009 when I won nationals. Never broke into a # 2 much less #1. Wish I could of kept going with it. One surgery in 2001 and I didn't want to go back down that road. Clint Shovar Hits 3rd Ranked Press | Powerlifting Watch

wow very impressive!! strong!! especially raw. that shit is heavy. anyone that benches a 500 raw is not normal. crazy strong

Last edited:
Big Tex I'm sure we'd all like to see pictures o the past power lifter and now?
Sounds like one hell of a transion. Words of wisdom also. Thanks for sharing!

Hey I wanted to point out another great example of older adults doing well in this sport. Not just men, but women as well. A friend of ours is Betty Pariso and her husband Ed. We met at the Europa Expo in Dallas in I think about 2008 when we put on a show powerlifting show there. Betty is the oldest woman to win a pro IFBB championship. She won the Nationals at 40 finally retired at 53. This woman racked up the pro titles and all of them after she turned 40 years old.

ozone or prolozone

Also for those who dont know , joint problems ,pain issues ,,, there is something called prolozone and ozone therapy .Joint cartlidge can be rebuilt quickly using this. I have had ozone needles in the knees,neck, and lower back .Have a look at this.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Srcf3H9tw8"]Professional Bodybuilder Ozone Injection Shoulder, Dr. Bino Rucker, M.D. - YouTube[/ame]

There is much hope for us older guys who cant recover that quick as younger guys. It takes more work and dedication, but its very possible to perform well in later years.

I'm 41 and I will be doing my first show in November. Currently bulking now. I haven't been in the gym everyday previously but i was in the Army, deployments etc. There would be no way I'd be able to do this(competitively) if I wasn't retired. In the 6 months. I have been retired I have already made decent changes size wise. Getting the diet dialed in and sticking to it was the biggest difference and actually having time to work out for a couple hours a day 5 or 6 days a week. So for me it was about having more time to exercise and prepare meals etc. Before I would never be able to do this if I was still in active duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Tex I'm sure we'd all like to see pictures o the past power lifter and now?

Sounds like one hell of a transion. Words of wisdom also. Thanks for sharing!

Definitely!! Big Tex Ur crazy lean now brother! It is a big change from the old power lifter to the modern day guys. My numbers were better when I dropped down a few weight classes. I seemed stronger to the average guy. But to people that understand the #s game. I was a much better lifter at 220.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity