over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squatting 3 times per week?

Designbuilt

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Have any of you ever tried squatting 3 times per week? I remember doing 1-3 sets of 20 reps Monday, Wednesday and Friday in my late teens and I made very good size and strength gains. I am considering doing something like this again, but now that I'm in my 40's, I'm not sure that I can recover as quickly... I tried doing this on Monday with light weight, but went ATG for 3 sets of 20 reps. I trained delts, bi, tri today and was going to squat again tomorrow morning, but I'm still pretty sore from yesterday's workout... In fact, I am more sore from the 3 sets of 20 with light weight, than what I've been in a long time with about triple the weight...

Another option is to train legs, but focus on leg presses and leg extensions for quads and doing heavier deadlifts for hamstrings... Monday, I only did leg curls and my hams aren't sore at all... Then go back to squats on Friday and add to the weight I did Monday...

Anyone have experience with training legs 3 times per week? I was looking through the featured members on this board and I did come across one of the earlier members who did squats twice per week and a third leg workout that focused on lunges and leg extensions...

Have any of you ever tried squatting 3 times per week? I remember doing 1-3 sets of 20 reps Monday, Wednesday and Friday in my late teens and I made very good size and strength gains. I am considering doing something like this again, but now that I'm in my 40's, I'm not sure that I can recover as quickly... I tried doing this on Monday with light weight, but went ATG for 3 sets of 20 reps. I trained delts, bi, tri today and was going to squat again tomorrow morning, but I'm still pretty sore from yesterday's workout... In fact, I am more sore from the 3 sets of 20 with light weight, than what I've been in a long time with about triple the weight...

Another option is to train legs, but focus on leg presses and leg extensions for quads and doing heavier deadlifts for hamstrings... Monday, I only did leg curls and my hams aren't sore at all... Then go back to squats on Friday and add to the weight I did Monday...

Anyone have experience with training legs 3 times per week? I was looking through the featured members on this board and I did come across one of the earlier members who did squats twice per week and a third leg workout that focused on lunges and leg extensions...

Most I ever did was 2x per week. You could do 3x if you kept the volume low for each workout. If you only did maybe 2 hard sets of squats each workout you could probably swing it. Like you suggested. You could squat early in the week, middle of the week just do isolation work like the leg extension or light hack squats, and then late in the week hit squats again.

Most I ever did was 2x per week. You could do 3x if you kept the volume low for each workout. If you only did maybe 2 hard sets of squats each workout you could probably swing it. Like you suggested. You could squat early in the week, middle of the week just do isolation work like the leg extension or light hack squats, and then late in the week hit squats again.

I used to do the supersquats program as a teen and got my squat numbers pretty high, that was only 1 or 2 sets of 20 reps at the end of a full body workout, only trained 3 days a week, took off tues, thurs and weekends... I did notice that when the movement was fresh on my mind, it was easy to motivate myself to keep adding weight... When I wait too long to squat like maybe once per week, the weight's don't move much, I get in the habit of doing the same workout over and over... I'm going to give it a go, see what happens.

I used to do the supersquats program as a teen and got my squat numbers pretty high, that was only 1 or 2 sets of 20 reps at the end of a full body workout, only trained 3 days a week, took off tues, thurs and weekends... I did notice that when the movement was fresh on my mind, it was easy to motivate myself to keep adding weight... When I wait too long to squat like maybe once per week, the weight's don't move much, I get in the habit of doing the same workout over and over... I'm going to give it a go, see what happens.

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. Because of my heart attack I now squat high rep only, sets of 20-30 reps. Keep my BP down when I squat that way. Your legs can grow with lighter weights, but I think varying the weights is the way to go. I would do heavy squats at least once per week reps 5-10 or so. The other two workouts go lighter or perhaps one workout don't do squats.

I've done a full leg day and then about 3 days later I would do some pump up set squats amd flex the shit out them and stretch them all week and at the time I was recovering well, wasn't doing any cardio really and my quads blew up, like really took on a different look.

But I train legs very very fucking hard so idk if it was that or just my leg days were extremely brutal and if that's what was doing it

When I competed in Oly lifting some guys did squats every day. One Oly lifter I knew could squat ass to grass - with a pause - no belt or wraps with 600lbs at just under 200lbs.

Right now I squat twice a week.
Chest/Back/Delts on Mon/Thurs.
Legs/Arms/Calves/Abs Tues/Fri.

I adopted the no belt no wraps ass to grass barbell squat myself because its a hell of a lower back workout, I don't have to deadlift as much which I find stressful, I use less weight (sets with 405lbs) and get a hard workout, and its really developed my inner legs.

I do a belt knee wrap squat workout every few weeks with 5 plates and a quarter just to handle a heavy load on my shoulders.

Good stuff, I used to train at a very hardcore gym with mostly powerlifters and they seemed to squat every day... It was a ritual, when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I focused on the squat and my legs came up a lot. Even in college, they would tell me that I was always training legs...

I know that it's not a good idea with smaller muscle groups, because injury is very possible, but quads are a very large muscle group, so they can recover faster... The past couple of years I was training with my younger brother and he wasn't crazy about training legs, they seemed to be a chore and we'd sometimes skip them... So I know that made my leg development suffer... Now because of our schedules, I train on my own again and I am going back to what worked in the past...

I competed in weightlifting also and we would squat three days a week. We broke it up though into a day where you would do normal squats the first day of the week, fronts in the middle because they were easier to recover from, and pause squats for a third day. It works really well.

A lot of powerlifters and oylimpic lifters are squatting everyday with good results check out Travis mash program

Google smolov squat routine. It's a 4x per week routine, but even assisted it's too much for non Russian genetic freaks. But when you cut it down to 3x per week it's pretty legit. I forgot the percentages but the days go

D1: 4x9
D2: 5x7
D3: 7x5
D4: 10x3

If I was a BB, I'd just drop D4 and do MWF then rinse and repeat

The 4x9 is the easier day so I'd add accessories.
Then Wednesday just squat. Maybe tag shoulders that day
Friday squat+ ham accessory.

It's brutal but your squat WILL come up. And the weekly volume is high. You eat you will grow. I'd highbar squat if looking for quads. Lowbar squat your ass will get so big jeans will never be an option ever again lol

You don't need to squat everyday. I have done that and its overkill. Plus your a bodybuilder and not a weightlifter so you need time and energy for other body parts. Hell if you want something that will make a noticeable difference in 12 weeks and you can actually do (unlike Smolov which wrecks most people) is the Russian Squat routine but only squat two days a week. Not three. You have one day where you follow the progression in the program and the other you keep at a flat 80% 6x2. We used to reduce our squatting frequency before a meet and use that to peak leg strength. There was usually a noticeable visual difference is size and of course strength.

Keep an eye on your low back... Even if the legs are recovering fine on the high frequency it can start to fade under the constant loading.

high rep squats build big strong legs. everybody is different so the three times a week squatting at lower weight would be a lofty goal and i'm betting you will see some good looking legs. keep this thread going.

After 40 the frequency of the same movement pattern and heavy weight may not work out for some especially 3xw

Good stuff, I used to train at a very hardcore gym with mostly powerlifters and they seemed to squat every day... It was a ritual, when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I focused on the squat and my legs came up a lot. Even in college, they would tell me that I was always training legs...

I know that it's not a good idea with smaller muscle groups, because injury is very possible, but quads are a very large muscle group, so they can recover faster... The past couple of years I was training with my younger brother and he wasn't crazy about training legs, they seemed to be a chore and we'd sometimes skip them... So I know that made my leg development suffer... Now because of our schedules, I train on my own again and I am going back to what worked in the past...

I think squatting everyday or a few times a week heavy is probably a good way to prematurely wear out hips knees and I don't really see a huge benefit unless you just did it like a few times a year tto just really shock your legs,

Recovery is how you grow, not training the muscle to death.

Unless you're a powerlifter training through a specific block phase theres no way id recommend it. You'd have to regulate volume/intensity so spot on it'd be more trouble than its worth imo.

Your training and recovery would ned to be spot on with basically no movement through the rest of the week.

Use micro-periodization ala Big Beyond Belief and you should grow like a weed from 3 x a week squatting.

I did the Smolov leg routine a few years back with great success. My squat #'s went up but my CNS took a beating. Squatting that much really only works if you're not working/pushing the rest of your body. I remember on the stretch/relax days I would do LIGHT workouts for the rest of my body. Then again, I'm small so my advice doesn't mean much

There are a lot of good replies on here, tried to like them all, but I keep getting thrown back to the top of the page... :mad: So don't get butthurt if I didn't like your comment, just no time, have to run... I am going to squat today, but woke up tired and I have a meeting at 11am on the other side of town, so I will train later today... That'll give me a chance to get more water in me...

I am going to limit the rest of the workouts as follows:

Monday squats, some ham work like leg curls only...

Tuesday, delts, bi, tri, calves

Wednesday, either squats, or focus on alternative quad movements like presses, lunges, etc, but go heavy on dead lifts...

Thursday, chest, back, traps, calves

Friday squat again, leg curls...

Saturday, delts, tri, bi, calves...

Sunday off

My chest and back are very strong body parts, my arms need work my legs need work... So I will only train chest and back once per week... My back grows just from me look at it, so that's not much of a concern... I'm going to do this for one month, I started April 1st at exactly 200lbs... I'm also going to take measurements and document all of this, see what happens...

For squats I started very light did ATG close stance with 95,115,135 20 reps 1 minute tops between sets... Next squat workout if I feel up to it today, or on Friday, I add 20lbs to each set so 115,135,155 and I do the same every workout... It sounds like very little weight, but i'm trying to get my form correct and switching to close stance to hit my outer quads which has always been weak for me...

Well I did it, had a tough day, woke up feeling like absolute hell! I thought it was the weather, gloomy and rainy all day, but who knows, went to two job sites, then I got back at 2pm and did an afternoon workout for the first time in ages... I was very sore this morning but now it wasn't so bad... I got 115, 135 and I did do 155, but they were a little on the pussy side, still got an insane pump on the quads, I did more seated leg curls and threw in some of those somersault squats...

My bodyweight is around 209-210ish, I was 200 even last Friday, eating clean, just more of the same food, plus pre, intra and post workout shakes... The bad news is that tomorrow I have my rear upper wisdom tooth pulled, I had one pulled three weeks ago, they couldn't do both at the same time, because they're on opposite sides of my mouth... Still sucks, I thought I had one more week, oh well, hopefully it wont set me back too much, the good thing is that i'm still only using light weight, getting the feel of the movement again, so it's probably better that it's tomorrow instead of next week...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws