over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Using Astragalus For Kidney Health/Prevention

Reno911

Registered
Astragalus has been mentioned a few times here and there for kidney health/function. Is there anyone currently using or has used it and gotten labs to see any effect on eGFR?

In an old post, a member used Dragon Herbs Astragalus at 6 caps a day which is 3 grams total. I remember reading/hearing somewhere guys using the 4-6g a day range- Matt Jansen maybe?

I currently have no issues but looking at it from a long term general health perspective.

Thanks

Doesn't seem to do much

**broken link removed**

but wont hurt to take either

Doesn't seem to do much

**broken link removed**

but wont hurt to take either

It looked the there were positives from the study review but the authors of the abstract had issues with the methods and reporting used in the studies.

Astragalus has been mentioned a few times here and there for kidney health/function. Is there anyone currently using or has used it and gotten labs to see any effect on eGFR?

In an old post, a member used Dragon Herbs Astragalus at 6 caps a day which is 3 grams total. I remember reading/hearing somewhere guys using the 4-6g a day range- Matt Jansen maybe?

I currently have no issues but looking at it from a long term general health perspective.

Thanks

It is sort of a mixed bag. There is some evidence pointing towards it helping kidney health. It is one supplement I was told directly to stay away from by nephrologists:confused:

It is sort of a mixed bag. There is some evidence pointing towards it helping kidney health. It is one supplement I was told directly to stay away from by nephrologists:confused:

He/she give you any reason in particular? Did the happen to recommend any supplement or just say the "drop your protein and stay hydrated route"?

I take 3g Betaine Anhydrous (TMG), 100mg Ubiquinol (CoQ10) and 1000mg N-acetyl Cysteine (NAC) per day. They are all good for keeping heart, liver and kidneys functioning optimally. Betaine (TMG) lowers plasma homocysteine concentrations. N-acetyl Cysteine (NAC) restores intracellular levels of glutathione. And CoQ10 is just one of the best antioxidants around with tons of proven science and clinical trials behind it. Take all three with proper diet and excercise and your body should be in top top shape internally.

Last edited:
He/she give you any reason in particular? Did the happen to recommend any supplement or just say the "drop your protein and stay hydrated route"?

they will never recommend any supplement. but will caution against particular ones. I cam dig this month a little. I would say it wouldnt hurt someone who has perfectly healthy kidneys.

Thought I’d bump this with quote from Dante trudel (dogcrap) from Facebook just now...

From about 1990 to about 2009 I was known as one of the guys to go to ...to put put on size at the fastest rate possible. I stopped training people in 2009 and sadly Ive now become one of the guys to go to when bodybuilders mess up their health badly and they are at a dire decision making point in their lives. I dont mind helping people at all, not at all but ....and this is not embellishing at all...this is the straight out truth....in the last 3 years Ive come across about 22-27 bodybuilders asking for my advice because they are in kidney failure or fast approaching kidney failure.
This was kind of unheard of back in the 90's...I can remember hearing about 2-3 guys total that I heard about in the 90's (a high ranking NPC competitor from Indiana, and a few other high echelon guys and that was about it), it got more prevalent in the 2000's as the drug dosages (and diuretics) went up, and nowadays its becoming SADLY a regular occurrence (in the offseason). Im dumbfounded by the whole "out of sight out of mind" mentality of people in this sport who take their advice from people who espouse "dont worry nothing is going to happen to you, you can take all these grams of stuff and you will be perfectly fine".....Just in the last month there have been 3 guys Im trying to help out here with severe kidney problems and Im starting to get kind of pissed at the whole "dont worry you can abuse yourself and be perfectly fine" crew just as much as im getting pissed at guys who have abused themselves to the ninth degree and think there will be no consequences.
Some of these guys come to me and i have to be straight up honest with them and say "why werent you taking my advice when i was talking preventative methods for the last decade and a half online"? "Now you are presenting me with a problem that I cannot really get you out of, there is no miracle happening when your creatinine is 5 times plus over normal, and your GFR is below 20...its wishful thinking but im sorry the truth is you are going to go into dialysis and there is nothing i can recommend to you at this point that is going to prevent that.
I know alot of you guys who have asked for my advice, Ive given it to you on what i would do if i was you at this point....but do you know what you could do for me? Ill tell you. TELL YOUR STORY. TELL IT. Tell these guys in the sport the mistakes you made, how you got to this point, and where you are right now. Why? Because that story will stick with some (some not all) of these guys in the sport WAY BETTER than Dante Trudel's rant today about this problem that is becoming way too common now in today's sport. People are using 3x the weekly testosterone dosages that were being used in the 1990's, 3x the weekly dosages of tren and virtually everything else, 3-5x times the dosages of GH, its gotten ridiculous. The physique guys because they have to look rock hard year round for appearances are using orals and harsh androgens year round which again is exacerbating the above problem (nevermind 99% of you would faint at your lipid bloodwork if you actually got bloodwork smack dab in the middle of this harsh usage).
The science community and others used to worry greatly about liver problems in the sport back in the old days. Stick that in the garbage bin to be honest with you....dire liver problems are few and far between. Raised enzymes...so common its like clockwork and pretty easily fixed, but the truth of the matter is unless you are abusing high dosage orals for lengthy amounts of time (whereas adenomas are what needs to be worried about in that case) liver problems are minute in the sport.
I used to feel the main health problem bodybuilders needed to worry about due to their drug abuse was cardiomyopathy and atherosclerosis (especially cardiomyopathy). Seeing all the kidney problems there are that are happening left and right now has skewered my thinking and this is now tied or kidney problems rate an incredibly close second place. Ive said time and time again that any bodybuilder really pushing the ergo aids should be on curcumin, ubiquinol and arjuna to prevent cardiomyopathy. Those three compounds will put you in the best position to prevent heart enlargement and have been shown to remodel heart tissue. (I know ive not been talking about BP in this post but cmon if you reading this right now dont know the importance of getting that down and keeping that down thru supplements, BP meds, and exercise whathaveyou....then I probably had already lost you by the 2nd sentence of this post and you skipped to the next post on your timeline.)
I really hate writing on facebook because what i write ends up disappearing and cannot be referenced again (like it can on blogs or message boards)....but I was inclined to write this post because these constant PM's concerning NPC competitors and IFBB pros with kidney problems is really getting to me. I need to sit down and write a long post about preventative measures here (obviously acceptable BP ......thats been repeated ad nauseum), mainly about one compound that every single bodybuilder in this sport who is using ergo aids should be using.
Astragalus. I promise when i get the time i will write it all out but do me a favor and add that compound to your daily supplement stack as a favor for me ok. There is some benefit to be said in this area with grape seed extract and pycogenol but astragalus is virtually the only compound that research shows regeneration of kidneys and a raising of GFR (which is virtually nonexistant with any other compound or drug out there). Ive previously put up a wealth of information on Astragalus before on GU'd up newsgroup and people got hooked on one study that showed (going by memory here, id have to look it up again) someone who was in kidney failure that reversed that kidney failure totally by using 18-30 grams of astragalus a day. Leave it to bodybuilders to go to the extreme and deem something unworthy unless they use the exact dosage of someone that was in kidney failure. Are you in kidney failure right now? NO? Then why would you need to take 18-30 grams a day? Im talking a preventative maintenance dosage of 2 to 5 grams a day split in a morning and nite dosage. Thats pretty easy with 500mg capsules. Four caps morn and four caps nite give you 4 grams astragalus a day.
Your job as a bodybuilder isnt always about gaining muscle mass. You should put the same amount of thought process and effort in maintaining your health. So again ASTRAGALUS....take it, split dosages morning and nite. PS: I wanted to also go into telomerase production, DNA strands, Astragaloside IV, length and health of telomeres, anti cancer etc etc etc....but i thought man if you want to lose the crowd that will do it.....so I will leave you with this, besides the implications this compound has for kidney health, one search by you on astragalus and telomerase+anti aging+ longevity will shock you on what the science community is finding out about this ingredient and telomerase. The 23 and me crowd who gets geeked out on this topic....take a close look at Astragalus and telomeres in a search. The rest of you, bodybuilding brethren, it makes me feel awful getting these PM's, I dont want anyone to go thru dialysis if they can prevent it from happening, please look into adding Astragalus to your mix of things. (PS I dont sell astragalus or curcumin or arjuna....or 99% of the things I recommend strongly for bbers health....this is an Amazon buy for you)

Thanks for sharing Dante's post.

Any recommendations on brands? Amazon's selection is pretty limited.

Always great to hear from Dante. I'm going to look into it just because he said so. He's a straight shooter.

You really love your lisinopril don't you? :D

What does it have in terms of sides? Is ED one of them?

well kidney health is a major concern for bodybuilders... competitive bodybuilders in particular (which I am not).

and lisinopril is very (very) cheap, and very effective.

I haven't gotten any noticeably side effects from it.

I didn't have kidney issues but spoke to Dante and added astragalus since it's so cheap and wanted to see if it had any effects on anti aging (which is my priority). eGFR went from my usual 80-90 to 105. I use the Vitamin Shoppe brand at 3 pills daily.

I didn't have kidney issues but spoke to Dante and added astragalus since it's so cheap and wanted to see if it had any effects on anti aging (which is my priority). eGFR went from my usual 80-90 to 105. I use the Vitamin Shoppe brand at 3 pills daily.

How long between blood work panels?

last time I had my EGFR checked, it was like 119

(edit) it was like 85 the test before the most recent test.

and that was after like... a year on tren E lmao

and overdosing on DNP and almost dying :eek:

Last edited:
The best form is Cycloastragenol but it’s expensive. Another good one is 20% astragaloside iv(not iv like inject that’s just what it’s called) which is much cheaper. I use both for immune health and increasing telomere length.

read this last night. hope a lot of ppl take the time to read it and fully understand. I was doing 500mg AM/PM and upped to 1000mg AM/PM over the past few weeks. May go to 1500-2000 AM/PM if I can find in bulk.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear