over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT Vintage 70s drag racing

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Back when men were men! I grew up during these times and recognize many of these names and cars. I didn't see my first drag strip though until the early 80s. Lots of fun to go for the day. Another thing that is a lot of fun is to go to the county fair and watch the crash derby. Last derby I went to this past summer had about 400 cars in it! All cars were demolished by the end. They bring in big bulldozers and fork lifts trucks to lift the cars up and take them off the track. Quite a few fires sparked off too.

Just listen to the sound of these engines in the drag film.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkr4F_4Xlo"]Vintage 1970's Drag Racing - rare footage - YouTube[/ame]

As a young kid I remember 2 drag racers called the mongoose and the snake!...

I love racing of any kind. Local to me, there is a pretty impressive race track where they host NHRA events. the smell of the race fuel burning as the cars are running gets me excited. Always makes for a good time to spend a day there. very impressive to watch.

Last edited:
My Drag Car

Bought it just to build into a drag racing car. Nothing fancy. 2006 Mustang GT. Having first major round of mods done as we speak.

I live 8 mi from the local dragway and never went there once in my entire youth!? (prob best cuz i woulda killed myself by now lol) BUT, my wife and i went to the dragway for first time last summer and in bout 3 weeks later i bought the Mustang. Been severely addicted ever since. It has basically taken the place of bb'ing which i feel i can no longer do competitively.
-F2S

Attachments

• drag car.jpg
    drag car.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 119
Orange County International Raceway (OCIR) was a blast to attend. Large fields of funny cars running under the lights on Friday nights. Great times.

Oooops! I made a mistake and clicked on this thread to quick I think.

Not the vintage 70s Drag I was thinking of

They do the World Series of Drag Racing in the area I grew up around, was always fun to go and watch as a kid. Always fun too when they bring in the semi trucks with rocket engines, lol.

I love racing of any kind. Local to me, there is a pretty impressive race track where they host NHRA events. the smell of the race fuel burning as the cars are running gets me excited. Always makes for a good time to spend a day there. very impressive to watch.

They do the World Series of Drag Racing in the area I grew up around, was always fun to go and watch as a kid. Always fun too when they bring in the semi trucks with rocket engines, lol.

Yeah the jets after sunset is a blast.

My dad took me to grand nationals growing up. Back in the day scoal handed out free samples to anyone virtually any age. My old man taught me how to chew at events and we would go home with a years supply.

Like any form of racing if you’ve only seen it on tv you can’t fully understand it. There is nothing that vibrates the earth more than a nitro fueled funny car. My first time walking in I was overwhelmed by the noise and my dad laghed at me and said “shit that’s just the motorcycles you just wait!” I literally had to hold my arms across my chest and use my fingers to press the earplugs in as far as possible it was so painful.

My favorite was always the semi trucks those teams bring in they really are unbelievable. Idk how those guys strip those engines down and back so fast. I could easily spend an entire event just in the pits without watching a single run.

Bought it just to build into a drag racing car. Nothing fancy. 2006 Mustang GT. Having first major round of mods done as we speak.

I live 8 mi from the local dragway and never went there once in my entire youth!? (prob best cuz i woulda killed myself by now lol) BUT, my wife and i went to the dragway for first time last summer and in bout 3 weeks later i bought the Mustang. Been severely addicted ever since. It has basically taken the place of bb'ing which i feel i can no longer do competitively.
-F2S

Are those slicks on the back?

-F2S

Glad you found something that can take the place of bodybuilding. Some are never able to fill that void.

Are those slicks on the back?

I don't want to speak for him, but there is tread on them....so either E/T Streets or another manufacturer's comparable product....can't see the brand on the tire. They are pretty close to a slick though, but legal on the street (just don't be out in the rain with them on your car! lol). I ran them on my low 9 second Mustang.

I don't want to speak for him, but there is tread on them....so either E/T Streets or another manufacturer's comparable product....can't see the brand on the tire. They are pretty close to a slick though, but legal on the street (just don't be out in the rain with them on your car! lol). I ran them on my low 9 second Mustang.

Ok, I couldn't see. Guys at the road course I go to run Hoosiers. They make one tire that has one little line of tread that goes around it but otherwise they are slicks. Those tires are really slicks but qualify for legal on the road because of the 1 line of tread. Smart huh!

I just use Michelin Pilot Sport 4s now on my Porsche 911 turbo. Id like to run the Pilot Sport cup tires, but like you say don't drive in the rain. Im running a size smaller wheel now with Pirelli Sotta Zero tires for the winter/snow.

Last edited:
Those are my E/T Street Drag Radials mounted on 10x15" wide wheels. :love:
-F2S

OK, is this it? Mickey Thompson | ET Street® R

I don't know much of anything about drag racing, just racing on a track. On the track all the guys seem to use Hoosiers. Some with a lot of money to blow use Pirelli slicks.

OK, is this it? Mickey Thompson | ET Street® R

I don't know much of anything about drag racing, just racing on a track. On the track all the guys seem to use Hoosiers. Some with a lot of money to blow use Pirelli slicks.

YUP thats them! look at all that "tread":D
not cheap either. i think mine are rated at 5,000 miles tops lol. but at a 1/4 mi at a time thats a pretty long tire life:headbang:
-F2S

Glad you found something that can take the place of bodybuilding. Some are never able to fill that void.

after i realized i can no longer compete at a high level i really fell into a depression didnt know what i was gonna do literally felt lost.

then i found drag racing! i would say its near literally the same thing as bbing. its all about obsessing over minute things... working and making small changes here and there to better the time. oh, and you can die at any moment that always brings it back to bbing level lol.
but for real i would encourage anyone thinking about it to go to your local drag strip and see how fun it is. yes its pointless as hell to risk ur life ti see how fast u can go in a straight line but my god is it any more pointless than seeing how big and lean u can look risking your life? i can say my friends and ffamily have a helluva lot more fun watching me drag race than prance on stage in bkini bottoms:eek:
-F2S

Dated a girl back in high school, her dad was a NHRA super stock racer. He did extremely well back in the 70's , 80's , and 90's.

I found a picture online of one of the many race cars hes owned

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 39
This is my 69 Sportroof. 557 pump gas big block ford, fully caged and tubbed. Only things left that are original is the roof and trunk lid. Runs 10's all day long and yes it has plates on it.

Attachments

• 2011-11-03_17-06-48_458.jpg
    2011-11-03_17-06-48_458.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 37
This is my 69 Sportroof. 557 pump gas big block ford, fully caged and tubbed. Only things left that are original is the roof and trunk lid. Runs 10's all day long and yes it has plates on it.

Would love to see more pictures of this beast!

My 1st driver RIP Dakota

Attachments

• 2011-10-23_14-53-44_721.jpg
    2011-10-23_14-53-44_721.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads