over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has social media ruined bodybuilding?

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
https://youtu.be/THf8FJ4YwK0

Great video by the mountain dog himself.

I think it brought more attention to it; some good some bad. I certainly think it brings out mental illnesses in people that we otherwise wouldn't see.

It destroys long term value systems in people's brains (especially young ones; imagine the kind of changes it brings in behavior and mentality when a kid grew up with Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not just bodybuilding. It has infected much of what people do, and they think it is normal.....

https://youtu.be/THf8FJ4YwK0

Great video by the mountain dog himself.

I think it brought more attention to it; some good some bad. I certainly think it brings out mental illnesses in people that we otherwise wouldn't see.

It destroys long term value systems in people's brains (especially young ones; imagine the kind of changes it brings in behavior and mentality when a kid grew up with Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This is a great point. We can't still measure the impact of all the tech that babies start their life's with and how it affects their social behaviours. It's a study in the making.

Social media has ruined everything. People constantly posting their thoughts on everything, taking pictures of everything. No one wants to work, everyone wants money the easiest way possible and that sets humanity back. Instagram has shown us tons of beautiful women that make money simply by sticking their ass in front of the camera. Look up the accounts of paolaskye, miaupper, and soyneiva. If Instagram didn't exist they might actually have to work and earn their way through life.

I second oliveironni's comment about how we don't know for sure how it affects youth. I would speculate it fucks them up big time. Kids are getting smart phones under the age of 10 and can be exposed to sex and all kinds of other things easier than ever. buck said that it shifts people to think that it's all normal and you don't realize it isn't unless you're old enough.

If you watch the movie 'Network,' the screenwriter, Paddy Chayefsky, predicted that exploitation would take over. Exploitation makes money, plain and simple.

If I had kids I would be making sure to the best of my ability that they weren't getting warped by all the shit out there. I couldn't imagine having a daughter and her thinking she has to post slutty pictures of herself because she believes it's normal.

Good and bad overall. A little off topic but the more informative platforms like podcasts and also the links to news and articles you see in Twitter and others helps to inform the public. More and more people are waking to the notion that MSM is propaganda and citizen journalists and other alternative informers are offering more views into daly events, history etc. If one has an inquisitive nature the new media may be a bonus. If not inquisitive then maybe more harmful because the collective limbic system that is Twitter can sway the un- and ill-informed.

As far as BBing, Magazines and sponsorships are pretty much dead largely due to the rapid pace of internet and social media. It may be easier to monetize your physique now but the days of the big sponsorships are pretty much gone but those were alway reserved for the top top in the industry and controlled mostly by NPC, IFBB, Weider publishing and their pay-for-play supplement companies.

It was fine when it was only Facebook and just friends/family.

Now, it's all media, celebrities, and public figures along with random trolls with opinions that have ruined the world. I could easily write a 20 page essay on this detailing every problem it has caused. If Twitter were deleted forever, that would be a terrific thing.

This is a great point. We can't still measure the impact of all the tech that babies start their life's with and how it affects their social behaviours. It's a study in the making.

yep. 60 minutes did a piece on this sunday. there's a long term study now.
prelim findings show thinning of some brain structures an an inability for children, little kids, to transfer what they see on devices to the real world.
sadly, tech companies are doing everything they can to make their apps/programs as addictive to young minds as possible.

I would compare what is happening to bodybuilding to what happened to the music industry. Magazines are out just like records (CDs) are out. Everything is going online. That includes contests. Bands now can become big if they know how to market and sell their music through Amazon and Apple. The technology makes it so you can record your music at home and still make it sound like it was done in a fancy recording studio. Same with bodybuilding. If you know how to market yourself, you can make money from it and not have to rely on getting to the top level as a pro.

While it's still good to become a top level bodybuilder to make very good money, it's going the way of the dodo bird just like record companies. I think Nick Trigili with his contests online through YouTube and letting the public vote will be the future. I think if IFBB/NPC doesn't start looking into at least combing YouTube and online voting with their contests, they will be left behind like what happened to the record companies and magazines.

The internet; where lives are largely virtual and identity is
constructed (won or lost) by browsing history and lives are
determined, evaluated, exposed and sometimes destroyed
by complex algorithms and likes and dislikes by people you
don’t even know.

The internet is not lacking in content, it is lacking in restraint.

It makes me sick that some awful girl can go on Dr. Phil, say "cash me outside", and is now a millionaire and named to a "most influential" list. There are people who clean bathrooms for a living making nothing while her life is now rich for being a terrible human being.

Back to a not so distant time, only (or close :cool:) people that had something really meaningful to say/share with others had access to the media and could/were allowed to enlighten the masses with their knowledge or just give their opinion.

Of course the "system" was flawed in many ways and involved a lot of imperfections, mainly the extreme ease with which institutions could manipulate populations, brainwashing them into believing in whatever notion the current political agenda required.

But today, with absolutely everyone on any and all subjects giving his/her 0.02 nobody gives a frigging damn about, we've come to a never reached before era of plain stupidity, it's awfully SAD. And of course, it applies to BB too... for no domain is spared. :(

Strong minded people do what they need to do.

Worry about yourself and your own goals. your life will be much happier

Kind of yeah. I'm too young to be around for the "good old days" whatever you might consider that but when social media wasn't around people did this more for therapy. As an escape and for the love of the lifestyle itself.

Now it's an excuse to make money off idiots while claiming you're natty and drawing a bunch of attention to yourself.

I do ZERO social media. Fuck that! It’s messing up all of society and it’s not just an older guy afraid of changing times here. Social media has restructured completely how humans interact with each other. Young people today don’t even know what it’s like to interact with others in person. They don’t know what it’s like to look someone in the eye, shake their hand and make eye contact during a conversation. And they’re all developing ADD over trying to keep up with all their social media accounts.

When I encounter someone and their conversation starts with a topic related to something they found or saw or gossip on Facebook or Instagram, I immediately cut the conversation off. I tell them I don’t live in that fake drama world and I have no interest.

Last edited:
The way I'm seeing it, it ruined more than bodybuilding. It has turned people into this self centered, keeping up with the Joneses type person. That somehow thinks anyone at all gives a shit how they spend their personal time.

I don’t know if it’s ruined bodybuilding. But it’s certainly made anyone who’s been hitting the gym and meal planning for a year think that they’re some kind of fitness expert or pro. Six months into training and dieting and all of a sudden their entire page is #gains #squats #doyoueventrainbro #shutupandlift. 🙄

Ruining Society thats for sure

I have a 11 yr old step daughter and her dad lets her do whatever she wants on her iphone. she can spend as much time on it as she wants. she comes home and shows me some of the dumbest shit you can imagine. like too stupid to describe. and already doing selfies w peace sign in heavy make up and outfits.... shes 11!?!?!?!

The way it makes people think they should junk up the world with their dumb opinions and stupid meaningless tidbits about what they are doing ie "at grocery store!" is just stupid.

The worst is the cries for attention. this one girl i am friends with posted "really hurting right now after finding out husband has been cheating on me. i dont want any sympathy or have everyone worrying about me just need some time to deal with this in privacy"
uh what? in privacy? you just posted it for the WORLD to see!?! That kinda shit drives me nuts.

Then my best buddy comes over who is single and in the dating world. showed me all these "hot" girls he been talkin too and ALL their pics were snapchat edited. i was like uhhhhh how do you know what they look like?
dating game is officially weird as fuck and glad i am married.
-F2S

I do ZERO social media. Fuck that! It’s messing up all of society and it’s not just an older guy afraid of changing times here. Social media has restructured completely how humans interact with each other. Young people today don’t even know what it’s like to interact with others in person. They don’t know what it’s like to look someone in the eye, shake their hand and make eye contact during a conversation. And they’re all developing ADD over trying to keep up with all their social media accounts.

When I encounter someone and their conversation starts with a topic related to something they found or saw or gossip on Facebook or Instagram, I immediately cut the conversation off. I tell them I don’t live in that fake drama world and I have no interest.

This is social media lol

in fact, all these other forms of social media are just other versions of forums...

Im like you. I don't even have any accounts on any of the social media sites. This is the only site I belong to, and this is a type of social media. As far as using other forms like Facebook, I do get info from our neighborhood and local stuff like that through my wife because she is always on there each and every day. I never have even set up a true social media account.

They say most employers these days use your social media when interviewing/judging you for a job. I have zero footprint so they might wonder what is wrong with me!? For some jobs that might be bad?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131