Bulking Tip for hardgainers

Elvia1023

Featured Member / Supp Guru / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
Obviously in a perfect world we would all have 5-8 solid meals of nutritious food every day and all grow like we want. However for many they simply struggle due to time constraints, work and appetite issues etc. This is a very obvious tip but no one really does it. Many will think for good reason but hear me out. I must state it will be horrible for guys who put on fat fairly easily (well even then it could still work). Although it's ideal for "hardgainers" and "ectomorphic" type physiques. It's also ideal if you're like me and do this for fun and can't be bothered eating 8 solid meals around the clock daily. It's also great for guys with appetite issues.

So simple but try it if you want to really push the size without having to eat every 2 hours to get your required calories for the day in. You simply pick a very high calorie weightgainer and take 2 servings per day. I like to have one first thing and another post workout. You are best having them when most active. If you have an active job in the day then have 1 for your first 2 meals.

Obviously these shakes won't be nutritious and making your own is great but you want something that you will process fast. So 200g carbs from oats and sweet potatoes may be a nightmare for many. Maltodextrin and Waxy Maize are not great sources of carbs but for many they would work well.

I done this over the years with the likes of Mutant Mass by PSL but I prefer a lower fat contant. That may seem strange to many as fat means more calories but for me a lower fat product works best especially when it's loaded with 150g+ carbs. I am doing this now with Optimum Nutrition's Gold gainer which is 115g carbs, 55g protein and 12g fat.

I plan to up things now and my next product will be Carnivor's Mutant Mass Big Steer 1250. Each serving contains 255g carbs, 50g protein and 2.5g fat. This is ideal for me and means for my 2 shakes per day I am getting a massive 2500 cals and 505g carbs. These shakes will fill me up but it means for the rest of the day all I need to do is add some highly nutritious and high protein meals for me to reach my required cals for optimal growing.

This isn't for everyone and I know many will say this is a terrible idea but it can still be effective. It should go without stating your other meals in the day need to be very nutritious (high anti-oxidant) with greens and good quality sources of protein, fats and carbs.

There is more to this as well in the form of possible slin, lr3 and gda usage. In addition to other ergo aids such as hgh, synthetine and syntheselen to ensure minimal fat is gained as you grow.

A very simple method that anyone could do. It's important to monitor fasted blood glucose when consuming so many carbs. Some may require some aids or additional supplementation to keep insulin sensitivity high and stay healthy whilst growing. I think controlling inflammation through the likes of curcumin, alpha lipoic acid and krill oil (etc) is also extremely useful on such a diet.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this Elvia, this is definitely something I'm interested in.

I will give this a try and see how it goes, with a busy work schedule it gets hard to get enough calories per day

Carnivor's Mutant Mass Big Steer 1250

Good post Elvia. Sure, we all know making your own gainer is best, but some people may prefer to buy something that is ready to mix.

Is this weight gainer new? For me, I'm not sure how well I would digest this product, but the profile does not look bad for those struggling to gain weight, more so if like you said, it is used at the right time of the day.

Thanks for sharing this Elvia, this is definitely something I'm interested in.

I will give this a try and see how it goes, with a busy work schedule it gets hard to get enough calories per day

Exactly. That's the thing if guys work all day they may struggle to get the calories in. We all know in a perfect world many of us would be eating meat, complex carbs with veg 6 times per day but for some it's simply not doable. Even this system with a lower calorie shake would work for someone not wanting to push things as much. Although I posted this for guys who really want to push the size so they could have 2500+ cals in work very easily. Then they get back and eat 3 good meals for the rest of the night and they are there. Maybe even a whole food meal before work and save the shakes when busy as they are so convenient. You could even dd in an intra shake to try to fit in as much feedings as possible.

Good post Elvia. Sure, we all know making your own gainer is best, but some people may prefer to buy something that is ready to mix.

Is this weight gainer new? For me, I'm not sure how well I would digest this product, but the profile does not look bad for those struggling to gain weight, more so if like you said, it is used at the right time of the day.

Yes I have made my own gainers for many years as well. I still have bags of powdered oats, sweet potatoe powder and activated barley in my cupboard. I was mixing them with beef isolate and whey isolate and rotating. I also do whole food shakes with oats, cashew/peanut butter, fruit, cacao etc. However sometimes it's just nice to have it ready done. It's the same with my intra shake I get bored of putting scoops of this and that for 5 mins and try to get all in one products.

This is new and I haven't used it myself but noticed it the other day and it caught my eye. One of the main reason was the very low fat content which is ideal for me when doing these sort of shakes. I have also used the original Carnivor Mass which I liked. This is a new version with many more carbs. 250g is a lot and some may not require that many but I personally will be fine with this as long as I keep fat low and add in other aids such as GDA's and digestion enzymes. The thing is you can consume this wait 3 hours then eat. I will update the thread after I try it but it will be a few weeks as I am still using my old product. I don't mind a bit of bloating as I get these cals in quick then I let my digestive system deal with it and then I can eat as normal.

I posted this on Anasci as well and one guy likes Dymatize's Super Mass Gainer. I checked it out and that looks perfect for this as well. I guess it's just about finding which one works best for you. You could even rotate products as one is a beef protein product and the other is whey. There are loads of different weightgainers and many are crap but they can be used with great effect under the right circumstances.

Exactly what I do.

I imagine 1000's do or have done but figured I would post as sometimes it takes reading something again to do it and it may help some guys out. The amount of Mutant Mass I have consumed over the years is staggering :eek::D The last bag I had I gave it away as I got fed up of it.

If you want to gain some serious weight there and are in SoCal or near a six flags amusement park , inside one of their stores they have a small hand sized type of brittle nut bar, I shit u not it has like 3000 calories!!! Of course most of it is fat and carb calories but still it’s the most calorie dense food item I’ve EVER seen.

I used to be a 'hard gainer', I always had to shovel in a ridiculous amount of caloriees for my weight (~4000 for a mere 200lbs:eek:) while I'm moderatly active as I'm still a student.

Shakes and definitely gainers nukes my appetite like nothing else. After a shake I'm done eating for at least 3-4 hours. I personally avoid them with a odd shake here and there.

The years of pounding food has finally reached a point were I can eat fairly easy 4k caloriees, a push up from there wasn't too bad either.

Some brisk walks, easy digestable food, a solid intra workout and a bit of mk does wonders for me.

The tips you gave will work for most I reckon.

How many grams of gainer are you getting in per day or is the shake made by yourself?

I always make sure I have 1/2 kg of ground oats. Cheap coffee grinder $10

Once they are ground they mix easy in water, taste alright

Keep em in the car or backpack, falling behind on cals quick 150g in water
13g healthy fats
18g protein
98g complex carbs
Ton of fibre

Cheaper and far more nutritious than weight gainers

Ted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

13g healthy fats
18g protein
98g complex carbs
Ton of fibre

Those macro's are for how many grams of oats? Certainly not 500g

255g carbs in a shake? Dear lord.... is it all sugar?

This is exactly what i do for growing, i havevery fast metabolism

I do 2 x weight gainer , first thing in morning and postwo

Then 3 meals of chicken or fish , sweet potatoes , olive oil

Excellent advice !

I do this cause i have fast metabolism , small apetite and i work 14 hour shifts

Respect

Madg

Truenutrition is great for making premade weight gainer shakes. Several different carb and fat choices to choose from such as oat powder, sweet potatoe flour, modcarb, and avocado oil powder.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

We have a great weight gainer here in the Chicago area.....it's called deep dish pizza. Italian beef sandwiches will also help you bulk up.

You need to be in a caloric surplus to grow muscle, but the ridiculously high calorie, one size fits all approach needs to stop. Pure muscle growth is a slow process; it is what it is.

Shelby said in a carb cycling seminar it took him four years to put on 30 lb of muscle.

David Henry put on 30 lb in three years with DC training and progressive eating.

All weight gainers do is increase your risk of diabetes and make you fat. You can take them at specific times like post-workout, but no one needs 255 g of shitty carbs in one sitting.

A more meticulous approach needs to be taken for weight gain. I think what gets lost in translation is when we read the forums excessively and see that someone had to go to extremes to move the scale. Well, that's because when you're 270 trying to be 280 that is fucking HARD to do. Being 205 trying to weigh 215; a person doesn't even need 4000 calories, let alone 5000.

I think people need to approach their weight gain diets with the same level of detail they do their fat loss diets.

Last edited:
I used to be a 'hard gainer', I always had to shovel in a ridiculous amount of caloriees for my weight (~4000 for a mere 200lbs:eek:) while I'm moderatly active as I'm still a student.

Shakes and definitely gainers nukes my appetite like nothing else. After a shake I'm done eating for at least 3-4 hours. I personally avoid them with a odd shake here and there.

The years of pounding food has finally reached a point were I can eat fairly easy 4k caloriees, a push up from there wasn't too bad either.

Some brisk walks, easy digestable food, a solid intra workout and a bit of mk does wonders for me.

The tips you gave will work for most I reckon.

How many grams of gainer are you getting in per day or is the shake made by yourself?

Of course. This is just 1 tip. I don't struggle to get 4000 cals from food so somedays I personally just eat whole foods only. I change things up a lot. Today for my first 2 meals I had 150g carbs from wholegrain pasta with 200g meat. Those meals fill me up for approx 3 hours so the same as one of my big shakes. I am eating my 4th meal now and after that I am about 3000 calories in. In approx 90 mins I will train and have an intra shake and I will have a large shake (55g protein and 115g carbs etc) post workout. Then it will be whole food meals for the rest of the night. So it's mainly whole food meals for me today apart from training and post workout and I will easily be at 6000 calories for the day.

13g healthy fats
18g protein
98g complex carbs
Ton of fibre

Ted

Are you not adding a full Spectrum protein to that? I would personally add 30g whey isolate and be gtg.

255g carbs in a shake? Dear lord.... is it all sugar?

It's a mixture of different carbs. Everyone is different. Obviously guys could use rice, sweet potatoes and oats in the shakes if needed. It's just 1 tip and Under the rigth circumstances can work great for SOME people.

This is exactly what i do for growing, i havevery fast metabolism

I do 2 x weight gainer , first thing in morning and postwo

Then 3 meals of chicken or fish , sweet potatoes , olive oil

Excellent advice !

I do this cause i have fast metabolism , small apetite and i work 14 hour shifts

Respect

Madg

Cool. Your plan looks good and suit you. I do something very similar most days now.

Truenutrition is great for making premade weight gainer shakes. Several different carb and fat choices to choose from such as oat powder, sweet potatoe flour, modcarb, and avocado oil powder.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Cool. There are many good companies. As mentioned above I have used all those powders in the past and sometimes combine them with whole foods in shakes as well. Although I do love the convenience of ready made all in one products and some can be used with great effect.

We have a great weight gainer here in the Chicago area.....it's called deep dish pizza. Italian beef sandwiches will also help you bulk up.

When I combine carbs and fats in high amounts I get fat very fast. That may sound strange coming from a guy who drinks 1250 calorie shakes but it's the truth. I like a slice of pizza but get bored with a full pizza.

Shoveling down 6k caloriees with ease is pretty impressive:eek:

You need to be in a caloric surplus to grow muscle, but the ridiculously high calorie, one size fits all approach needs to stop. Pure muscle growth is a slow process; it is what it is.

Shelby said in a carb cycling seminar it took him four years to put on 30 lb of muscle.

David Henry put on 30 lb in three years with DC training and progressive eating.

All weight gainers do is increase your risk of diabetes and make you fat. You can take them at specific times like post-workout, but no one needs 255 g of shitty carbs in one sitting.

A more meticulous approach needs to be taken for weight gain. I think what gets lost in translation is when we read the forums excessively and see that someone had to go to extremes to move the scale. Well, that's because when you're 270 trying to be 280 that is fucking HARD to do. Being 205 trying to weigh 215; a person doesn't even need 4000 calories, let alone 5000.

I think people need to approach their weight gain diets with the same level of detail they do their fat loss diets.

PLEASE READ THIS POST PROPERLY.
When did I state this will work for everyone? This is why posting advice on here gets annoying. I purposely worded my posts so no one would get that but you still post this. Use some common sense. This idea could be horrible for some/many people and I don't recommend huge amounts of carbs for everyone.

Your write "but the ridiculously high calorie, one size fits all approach needs to stop." Then you write "All weight gainers do is increase your risk of diabetes and make you fat." Surely that is going against your one size fits all approach needs to stop. I don't recall every being fat ever so how is that true. I know loads of guys who take in weightgain powders who are not fat. I know loads of bodybuilders who take it huge amounts of carbs around training who are not fat.

Obviously building muscle is a slow process. I have studied everything to do with muscle building. I am not stating guys should try this and it will work for everyone. I even posted for some guys this will make them fat. But under the right circumstances and for guys who don't want to eat 6+ times per day this can be useful.

Honestly you hit a nerve because it's not even about reading between the lines and using common sense because I wrote it out plainly for all to see. I wasn't even gonna post this thread as I thought some guy will post exactly what you just did going on about high carbs will make you fat etc. I knew some would think this is a terrible approach and I 100% understand why. I am not disagreeing with 99% (I agree) of the things you posted either.

Some guys in similar situations may be better doing 4 whole food meals and 2 shakes consisting of whole foods such as oats, fruit, nut butters, avocado/argan/macademia nut oil or whatever they want. Some people could do this but with closer to 100g carbs per shake. Some people can just do 6 whole food meals or 7 or 8. Others make great use of high carb shakes at certain times and use certain measures to ensure high insulin sensitivity and all health markers (including inflammation) remain in range.

So you are now telling me I don't need 5000 calories to grow? I thought it wasn't a one size fits all. What if I take my dog on walks for 2 hours per day. I have a super fast metabolism. I train 2 hours per day. I just added a little cardio. Or 101 things people on here do. Everyone is different. This was a tip for hardgainers who struggle to put on weight. I am not just blindly stating throw in 500g sugar per day and grow as that would be stupid. There is more to do but use some common sense.

Last edited:
Shoveling down 6k caloriees with ease is pretty impressive:eek:

If I had to do it with just whole foods all week it would be a struggle. But adding in some shakes helps tonnes. Throwing in my intra shake helps tonnes as well. I train very hard and high volume so it can take some time from the moment I leave until the time I get back (walk, train, shower, change, walk etc). So not eating in that window is a fairly big chuck of my waking day. So my intra shake is usually (moving up to this now) 40g aminos and 100g carbs. By the time I walk home I am hungry again as well.

Right now I am doing 2 large shakes most days though and each one is 55g protein, 115g carbs and 12g fat. I will be upping that soon though and adding in igf-1 lr3 etc. I won't get fat like the poster above stated. I will get bigger and fuller. Although I don't mind putting on a little bit of fat. My main goal is simply improving strength and not getting fat :D

Most of the year I probably settle at around 4000 calories mainly coming from lean protein, fruits (tonnes of berries), rice, pasta and healthy fats (avocados, eggs, argan oil, macadamia nut oil etc).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity