advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to know if you're insulin resistance?

Zarati

Registered
I talked a guy at the gym that said he found out he's IR doing the two hour glucose test. He said he had normal a1c and blood glucose levels when fasted but when the two hour bg test showed his IR.

Are there any other alarming symptoms ? Or should I test it with the two hour blood glucose test

Last edited:
Best way: A1C blood test

Cheapest test: Buy a Relion BG meter and test your fasted levels in AM. See if they're close to 100, or higher.

Best way: A1C blood test

Cheapest test: Buy a Relion BG meter and test your fasted levels in AM. See if they're close to 100, or higher.

Normal a1c and fasted bg test don't mean shit

I talked a guy at the gym that said he found out he's IR doing the two hour glucose test. He said he had normal a1c and blood glucose levels when fasted but when the two hour bg test showed his IR.

Are there any other alarming symptoms ? Or should I test it with the two hour blood glucose test
The oral glucose tolerance test is probably the best diagnostic tool. I'm a diabetic and my fasting and post prandial numbers are really good but my ogtt is pretty bad. My number remains elevated past the three hour mark and then starts to come back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Professional Muscle mobile app

Would this be the correct test to order???

Glucose Tolerance Test, 2 Specimens (75g)

This test is used for the routine diagnosis of diabetes in children and the non-pregnant adult. For appropriate interpretation of this test, the patient must fast overnight and ingest a 75 g load of glucose, immediately after, a fasting specimen is obtained. For children, the glucose load is 1.75 g/Kg of ideal body weight, up to 75 g glucose. The diagnosis of diabetes is made if the fasting glucose is ?126 mg/dL or if the 2-hour specimen is ?200 mg/dL.

1 Test (2 Biomarkers)

2 Hour Specimen

Fasting Specimen

Just curious but what's the point , what happens if you find out that you are or aren't?

Just curious but what's the point , what happens if you find out that you are or aren't?

Well i have been running GH for a year now, and fasted BG has always been below 100, so i thought...., well that's great.

Seems like i keep reading more and more that fasted BG and A1c are not the be all end all of testing.

The point is..... if i am insulin resistant due GH usage (although correlation is not causation), maybe i will employ some slin to my regime, and or stop the GH usage.

If i am not insulin resistant..... then great, no need for slin, and can keep using my 3.3 iu's of GH a day.

Well i have been running GH for a year now, and fasted BG has always been below 100, so i thought...., well that's great.

Seems like i keep reading more and more that fasted BG and A1c are not the be all end all of testing.

The point is..... if i am insulin resistant due GH usage (although correlation is not causation), maybe i will employ some slin to my regime, and or stop the GH usage.

If i am not insulin resistant..... then great, no need for slin, and can keep using my 3.3 iu's of GH a day.

What if one is tho? They say insulin resistance is a level below prediabetes and diabetes

Would it require a very disciplined diet and exercise?

Taking any GDA or metformine?

If you are insulin resistant you won't partition nutrients as well and this can lead to additional fat accrual.

You can test fasting BG as others mentioned above, but also check post prandial glucose, and you can check this ~2 hours after eating. I think general guidelines for non diabetics is <140mg after 2 hours although that seems very high and the top end of normal. I would like them to be <100mg 2 hours post prandial for myself - depending on the meal of course.

Essentially you want to return to your baseline levels (<100 at least) before your next meal.

To improve insulin sensitivity you will likely need to reduce carb intake and be in a caloric deficit in order to lower fasting BG levels. You can add supps such as GDA's, metformin, etc. but those are likely only going to serve as band aids and you will eventually need to address nutritionally.

You may want to Google and research Berberine at 500mg, 2-3 X day, 30 minutes prior to meals to improve insulin sensitivity and to control blood sugar. If you decide to give it a try and go the powder route, it is very bitter.

You may want to Google and research Berberine at 500mg, 2-3 X day, 30 minutes prior to meals to improve insulin sensitivity and to control blood sugar. If you decide to give it a try and go the powder route, it is very bitter.

Berberine is one of the worst tasting things I have ever tasted. Never again go the powder route.

Taking any GDA or metformine?

No i am not at the moment. I never have either.

I was thinking all was "ok" since fasting BG was below 100, but the more info i gather, seems like i may need to consider more testing.

I was taking a berberine pill 1x a day in the morning prior to breakfast, but not before each meal. Thanks for the info.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear