Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Excellent new study posted by Alan Aragon

Attachments

• 778730C4-97BF-4177-8873-D3970221AC58.jpeg
    778730C4-97BF-4177-8873-D3970221AC58.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 354
Is there a link to the data? The averages are one thing, but I`d like to see how many people made up that average, and the variation of those numbers for people who placed.

Interesting study, I'd also like to understand if carbs and fat were combined in meals or actually separated.

Is there a link to the data? The averages are one thing, but I`d like to see how many people made up that average, and the variation of those numbers for people who placed.

All he posted was that pic on his Instagram page with a long caption that couldn't fit into one screenshot

observational data... nuff said

Yea but it is still worth some salt

Nobody use keto diets? Or cicling carbs? It seems that all were ectomorphic, otherwise, it is difficult to achieve the condition of competition with so many carbohydrates.

Here is the original study, and others.

Peaking Strategies of Competitive Natural Bodybuilders. Chappell and Simper. Unpublished.

"Bodybuilders utilize peakingstrategies in a bid to fine-tune their aesthetics for competition day. The mostprevalent peaking strategies utilized by natural bodybuilders are unreported inthe current literature. Eighty-one (M - 59, F - 22) natural bodybuilders wererecruited from competitions during the 2016 and 2017 British NaturalBodybuilder Federation seasons. Competitors completed a 34-item questionnaire whichwas designed to investigate peaking and contest day strategies. Thequestionnaire listed commonly utilized peaking strategies as well as providingadditional space for qualitative information. Analysis of the data indicatedthat carbohydrate, water and sodium manipulation were the most commonly utilizedpeak week strategies. Furthermore, the consumption of high glycemic indexcarbohydrates was the most common competition day strategy. Only 5.2 % ofcompetitors reported following their regular diet during peak week. Thecarbohydrate manipulation strategies utilized were similar in their approach toclassical carbohydrate loading protocols whereby bodybuilders attempt to maximizemuscle glycogen concentrations. Furthermore bodybuilders, exploit the polyuriaassociated with water loading, before restricting their water intake in anattempt to remove superfluous water. The effectiveness of these strategies toenhance a bodybuilder's appearance is however unknown; these findings arelikely to be of interest to bodybuilders.">>

Nutritional strategies of high level natural bodybuilders during competition preparation
A. J. Chappell,T. Simper and M. E. Barker

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2018 15:4

Abstract

Background

Competitive bodybuilders employ a combination of resistance training, cardiovascular exercise, calorie reduction, supplementation regimes and peaking strategies in order to lose fat mass and maintain fat free mass. Although recommendations exist for contest preparation, applied research is limited and data on the contest preparation regimes of bodybuilders are restricted to case studies or small cohorts. Moreover, the influence of different nutritional strategies on competitive outcome is unknown.

Methods

Fifty-one competitors (35 male and 16 female) volunteered to take part in this project. The British Natural Bodybuilding Federation (BNBF) runs an annual national competition for high level bodybuilders; competitors must qualify by winning at a qualifying events or may be invited at the judge’s discretion. Competitors are subject to stringent drug testing and have to undergo a polygraph test. Study of this cohort provides an opportunity to examine the dietary practices of high level natural bodybuilders. We report the results of a cross-sectional study of bodybuilders competing at the BNBF finals. Volunteers completed a 34-item questionnaire assessing diet at three time points. At each time point participants recorded food intake over a 24-h period in grams and/or portions. Competitors were categorised according to contest placing. A “placed” competitor finished in the top 5, and a “Non-placed” (DNP) competitor finished outside the top 5. Nutrient analysis was performed using Nutritics software. Repeated measures ANOVA and effect sizes (Cohen’s d) were used to test if nutrient intake changed over time and if placing was associated with intake.

Results

Mean preparation time for a competitor was 22 ± 9 weeks. Nutrient intake of bodybuilders reflected a high-protein, high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet. Total carbohydrate, protein and fat intakes decreased over time in both male and female cohorts (P < 0.05). Placed male competitors had a greater carbohydrate intake at the start of contest preparation (5.1 vs 3.7 g/kg BW) than DNP competitors (d = 1.02, 95% CI [0.22, 1.80]).

Conclusions

Greater carbohydrate intake in the placed competitors could theoretically have contributed towards greater maintenance of muscle mass during competition preparation compared to DNP competitors. These findings require corroboration, but will likely be of interest to bodybuilders and coaches.

Peak week strategies of bodybuilders

Hi all, I thought I'd share with you my latest research article on peaking for bodybuilding competitions which was published this morning. In this research I documented the dietary approach to peaking employed by 81 natural bodybuilders and quantified the most prevalent strategies utilised. I then discuss the mechanisms by which these peaking strategies might influence a competitors appearance. Follow the link to read the full text: https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/6/4/126

I hope you enjoy it, if you have any thoughts about the research or you'd like to share your own experiences I'd be interested in hearing them.

Abstract:

Bodybuilders utilize peaking strategies in a bid to fine-tune their aesthetics for competition day. The most prevalent peaking strategies utilized by natural bodybuilders are unreported in the current literature. Eighty-one (M-59, F-22) natural bodybuilders were recruited from competitions during the 2016 and 2017 British Natural Bodybuilder Federation seasons. Competitors completed a 34-item questionnaire designed to investigate peaking and contest day strategies. The questionnaire listed commonly utilized peaking strategies and provided additional space for qualitative information. Analysis of the data indicated that carbohydrate (CHO), water, and sodium manipulation were the most commonly utilized peaking strategies. The consumption of high glycemic index CHO was the most common competition day strategy. Only 6.2% of competitors reported following their regular diet the week prior to competition. The CHO manipulation strategies followed were similar to classical CHO loading, whereby bodybuilders attempt to maximize muscle glycogen concentrations. Furthermore, bodybuilders attempted to remove superfluous water by exploiting the diuretic/polyuria effect associated with water loading/restriction. The potentially deleterious effects of peaking on bodybuilders’ health is considered and the efficacy of these strategies to enhance appearance is discussed. The findings of the present investigation are likely to be of interest to bodybuilders and their coaches.

Chappell, A.J.; Simper, T.N. Nutritional Peak Week and Competition Day Strategies of Competitive Natural Bodybuilders. Sports. 2018, 6, 126

Peak Week and Competition Day Dietary Strategies
Below is an abstract for my latest article on peak week and competion day dietary strategies for bodybuilding.
Myself and my colleague put the article together to help bodybuilders with their peaking strategies. The full article discusses:
Carbohydrate loading and depleting
Water loading and depleting
Electrolyte manipulation
Natural diuretics
Competition Day strstegies

Follow the link to below to the full preprint

Hopefully you all find it useful and it encourages some discussion.

Abstract
Bodybuilders utilize peaking strategies in a bid to fine-tune their aesthetics for competition day. The most prevalent peaking strategies utilized by natural bodybuilders are unreported in the current literature. Eighty-one (M-59, F-22) natural bodybuilders were recruited from competitions during the 2016 and 2017 British Natural Bodybuilder Federation seasons. Competitors completed a 34-item questionnaire designed to investigate peaking and contest day strategies. The questionnaire listed commonly utilized peaking strategies and provided additional space for qualitative information. Analysis of the data indicated that carbohydrate (CHO), water and sodium manipulation were the most commonly utilized peak week strategies. The consumption of high glycemic index CHO was the most common competition day strategy. Only 6.2 % of competitors reported following their regular diet the week prior to competition. The CHO manipulation strategies were similar to classical CHO loading, whereby bodybuilders attempt to maximize muscle glycogen concentrations. Furthermore, bodybuilders attempted to remove superfluous water by exploiting the diuretic/polyuria effect associated with water loading/restriction. The potentially deleterious effects of peaking on bodybuilders' health is considered and the efficacy of these strategies to enhance appearance is discussed. The findings of the present investigation are likely to be of interest to bodybuilders and their coaches.

(PDF) Peak Week and Competition Day Strategies of Competitive Natural Bodybuilders. Available from: **broken link removed** [accessed Sep 27 2018].

If they posted the training, cardio and a few other factors that would help solidify those finding. But the one group could have slightly naturally higher metabolisms to start as well. But still interesting to see those figures.

The trend is worth something to me. Maybe the word "fantastic" I used to describe the study is a bit of an over exaggeration because of course there are other factors at play.

Unfortunately the study really is 100% useless.

Higher carbohydrate intake during contest prep is either superior, inferior, or there is no difference. We cannot infer anything from the study about which of the 3 hypotheses is correct.

This is because the study only compares the unconditional means of competitors who place and those that don't. They do not take into account the myriad of other factors that influence placing and which are correlated with carbohydrate intake.

As buck points out, they could have controlled for some of the confounding variables like training, cardio. etc. in a regression analysis.

But even if they did that, there would still be omitted variable bias in the coefficient estimate of carb intake. This is because there are unobserved/observable characteristics of competitors that cannot be controlled for. For example, people with higher genetic potential for muscle building may also have a faster metabolism and thus consume more calories/carbs. Those who are more motivated may stick more to the diet/supplement regime and not skip meals, and they also may do so for their training plans, posing practice etc. There's an endless list of such potential confounders.

This is exactly why researchers go through the lengths of setting up experiments. It's the only way to draw causal inference. Crap studies like this one are not only useless, but actually counterproductive, since laypersons will draw the wrong conclusions from them.

EDIT: Don't even get me started on the fact that data were self-reported...

Last edited:
There is no correlation between these numbers, unfortunately, all this can do is cause inaccurate speculation...

It's funny how people make up stuff and other people believe it.

So if I allocated my macros and energy expenditure precisely to those top 5 competitors I'll have a pretty good chance of winning a show?

I know nut'n about competing, tho this takes all the guess work out. How simple is that!!

Awesome :headbang:

So if I allocated my macros and energy expenditure precisely to those top 5 competitors I'll have a pretty good chance of winning a show?

I know nut'n about competing, tho this takes all the guess work out. How simple is that!!

Awesome :headbang:

That’s not what Alan Aragon is saying at all

Unfortunately the study really is 100% useless.

Higher carbohydrate intake during contest prep is either superior, inferior, or there is no difference. We cannot infer anything from the study about which of the 3 hypotheses is correct.

This is because the study only compares the unconditional means of competitors who place and those that don't. They do not take into account the myriad of other factors that influence placing and which are correlated with carbohydrate intake.

As buck points out, they could have controlled for some of the confounding variables like training, cardio. etc. in a regression analysis.

But even if they did that, there would still be omitted variable bias in the coefficient estimate of carb intake. This is because there are unobserved/observable characteristics of competitors that cannot be controlled for. For example, people with higher genetic potential for muscle building may also have a faster metabolism and thus consume more calories/carbs. Those who are more motivated may stick more to the diet/supplement regime and not skip meals, and they also may do so for their training plans, posing practice etc. There's an endless list of such potential confounders.

This is exactly why researchers go through the lengths of setting up experiments. It's the only way to draw causal inference. Crap studies like this one are not only useless, but actually counterproductive, since laypersons will draw the wrong conclusions from them.

EDIT: Don't even get me started on the fact that data were self-reported...

I never said this study was gospel. I just think it's interesting, especially because someone the likes of Alan Aragon posted it, who also said to take it with a grain of salt. Obviously everything you're saying is accurate but it's just food for thought. That is all. The word "fantastic" may have been inappropriate, I'll admit.

It's funny how people make up stuff and other people believe it.

Imagine thinking all the participants in this study conspired to manipulate the results to show higher protein/carbs and lower fat wins contests.

The gang mentality mob has come out in full force for this one.

Last edited:
Besides being a technically worthless study because there were absolutely no controls whatsoever, assume for a moment it is true. It could be the top 5 people have more muscle mass and are genetically more gifted and can get away with more.

Data like this can be intersting to read...rarely will it have any effect on what i’m actually doing calorie and macros wise. in general i’ll read it, but we are soooo unique and have so many different factors to consider its best to keep it simple, know YOUR body and pay attention to it. but i can appreciate any data that members post and contribute here.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostriderTX
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws