YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has anyone had awesome success with the "Push/Pull/Legs" split?

Landmonster

Registered
Hi guys.

So I have seen this Push/Pull/Legs split rising in popularity, in recent years.
Day1: Push (Chest/Shoulder/Tri)
Day2: Pull (back/bi)
Day3: Legs.

Rinse and repeat as needed.

Some of you may know, the popular coach Jordan Peters seems to advocvate it.

Now, oN paper it seems very simple The argument seems to be that, given that you are working overlapping body parts each day, you can benefit from the increased frequency.

My question is this:
Has any of you actually used this split to great success in real life?

I have never seen anyone truly huge, or strong in real life, that I have known personally, to have great success with this type of high frequency split.

I want to be open minded, because I'm always looking for smarter ways to do things.

Whenever I have tried Push/Pull/Legs in the past... I make good progress for a while, then become over trained.

Eventually, I have to add in more rest days, so that each body part gets trained every 5 or 6 days anyway. And in that case, I wonder "Why don't I just use a regular 'bro split', rather than try to cram all of these parts into 1 day?"

On my last vacation, where I had nothing to do all day but lounge around all day, eat, sleep, and train, I tried to do it 6 days in a row.

Monday: Push
Tuesday: Pull
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Push
Friday: Pull
Sat: Legs

I got over trained after about Thursday (feeling lethargic, muscles were not recovered, joints achy, poundages going down slightly), and the workouts were not as good in the 2nd phase.

After my vacation I scaled the split back, to where I had a rest day every 2 or 3 days.

ie.
Thursday: Rest

I made good progress, but eventually got over trained. Moreover, I felt like the secondary muscles never "quite" got as good of a workout as when I used to train them individually.

Anyone have thoughts on this split? or empirical evidence why it trumps other splits?

I had good and bad experience with it. Mostly good.

The bad experience was when I did ppl twice a week, basically twice a week the Same workout. Didn't make any progress and was very run down after a few weeks. I was relatively new to training.

Good experience with ppl was when I used rotations with different excercises, for instance 6 days a week ppl:

First pushday: mostly chest (3 excercises), medium shoulder (2 excercises), low tricep (1 excercise)

Second pushday: 1 excercise chest, 1-2 for shoulders and 2-3 tricep

Same for other muscle groups.

Currently doing push pull legs upper lower and liking it very much!

I use it and like it. I do 2 on 1 of though. Not 3 days in a row

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've had good success but only used each type once a week. Push one day , pull one day, leg one day, maybe a lagging bodypart day, cardio day

Hi guys.

Now, oN paper it seems very simple The argument seems to be that, given that you are working overlapping body parts each day, you can benefit from the increased frequency.

My question is this:

I have never seen anyone truly huge, or strong in real life, that I have known personally, to have great success with this type of high frequency split.

I want to be open minded, because I'm always looking for smarter ways to do things.

Whenever I have tried Push/Pull/Legs in the past... I make good progress for a while, then become over trained.

Eventually, I have to add in more rest days, so that each body part gets trained every 5 or 6 days anyway. And in that case, I wonder "Why don't I just use a regular 'bro split', rather than try to cram all of these parts into 1 day?"

On my last vacation, where I had nothing to do all day but lounge around all day, eat, sleep, and train, I tried to do it 6 days in a row.

I got over trained after about Thursday (feeling lethargic, muscles were not recovered, joints achy, poundages going down slightly), and the workouts were not as good in the 2nd phase.

After my vacation I scaled the split back, to where I had a rest day every 2 or 3 days.

ie.

I made good progress, but eventually got over trained. Moreover, I felt like the secondary muscles never "quite" got as good of a workout as when I used to train them individually.

Anyone have thoughts on this split? or empirical evidence why it trumps other splits?

You don't think Jordan is truly huge?

I do push, pull, legs but not repeating all the time. I do 2 days ON, 1 day OFF, repeat.

Of course. Any training template will work if you are eating effectively and getting enough recovery for you. If it's too much just back down the days. Some guys can do 7 days per week others will do 3. I would personally do about 5 days but everyone is different. If you do lower frequency balance the rest days so something like Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri for 4 days per week just rotating the sequence. Personally I have no set pattern and just follow the body part days and rest when needed so I could have 3 on and 3 off if that's what my body told me. However I always average out with about 5 days following that approach. The training volume in each workout could be another factor as well.

Hi guys.

My question is this:

ie.

i've had success with it. it's primarily the way i train most of the year now.

i got into it after reading about flex wheeler training stan efferding and stan putting on 30lbs of stage weight in less than a year..

Plenty of big, strong guys have had success with PPL - John Meadows, Scott Stevenson, Reagan Grimes, and though I wouldn't credit his success to it, Ronnie Coleman did PPL.

The evidence for it comes from studies showing higher training frequencies can lead to more hypertrophy, because muscles are typically recovered in less than 6-7 days. Scott Stevenson has done research on this and has seminars on it at John Meadows' membership site - totally worth the cost for Stevenson's talks.

I've had my best results with PPL. I take one day off a week so everything gets hit twice. I hit calves every day and structure the rest as:

S - Back thickness / traps / biceps / forearms
M - Hamstrings
T - Mid-chest / medial delts / triceps
W - Back width / rear delts / traps / biceps
H - Quads
F - Off
S - Upper chest / front delts / triceps

If you have sufficient recovery ability you should give it a shot for a few months. Will you end up your all-time strongest? Probably not, but that's not what bodybuilding is about. I'm only my all-time strongest on bench press right now but my physique looks the best it ever has.

It's also important to adjust your training volume accordingly.

When I went from a standard muscle group split to PPL, I literally cut my volume in half and spread it across the sessions, and it's dropped a little since then. I have no issues with recovery.

i've had success with it. it's primarily the way i train most of the year now.

i got into it after reading about flex wheeler training stan efferding and stan putting on 30lbs of stage weight in less than a year..

To play devil's advocate here.... Stan said he was training twice a day with Flex.
Implying he did 1 body in the morning, and other 1 at night.

It could have been something like:
Monday AM: Chest Monday PM: Shoulder/Tri
Tuesday AM: Back Tuesday PM: Bicep
Wednesday AM: Quads Wednesday PM Hams
etc

I could see that working better, but it being extremely time consuming. He lived in a motel across the street from his gym, and wasn't working a job.

Plenty of big, strong guys have had success with PPL - John Meadows, Scott Stevenson, Reagan Grimes, and though I wouldn't credit his success to it, Ronnie Coleman did PPL.

Ronnie Coleman did a version of PPL.

He did a 4 day split:

1. Chest/Tris
  2. Back/Bis
  3. Shoulder/Trap
  4. Legs

Apparently early in his career, he did a 3 day split... where he combined shoulders into one of his other days. I'm not sure how that looked exactly.

Ronnie Coleman did a version of PPL.

He did a 4 day split:

1. Chest/Tris
  2. Back/Bis
  3. Shoulder/Trap
  4. Legs

Apparently early in his career, he did a 3 day split... where he combined shoulders into one of his other days. I'm not sure how that looked exactly.

Thinking it was like my 3 day split which was 1.chest/shoulder/tri 2. Legs 3. Back/trap/bi

You did get over-trained/tired because you did to much volume and/or to much frequency.

This has "nothing" to do with the split, it's just a split. You can't evaluate a "training system" by just looking at the split of muscles in any given workout. That's just one piece of the puzzle, there's so much more to it.

My advice, do something that you actually LIKE, whatever that is, adjust the volume and the frequency according to your recovery. That's the best way to improve IMO.

You can have the theoretical best training system ever on paper, but if you don't like to workout that way you won't adhere to it long enough to see meaningful results.

If doing PPL on 3 straight days, just don't expect to have a super squat day if you deadlifted hard the day before. My legs are my weak point so they usually have to go first after a rest day.

Monday: Legs

Wednesday: Back and Bis (including traps and rear delts)

Friday: Chest, Shoulder, Triceps

Also do some light active recovery with every muscle on your body every day.

Yes for results. PUSH- PULL- LEGS training 6x per week. That is my bread and butter split. I do 5 exercises per workout. I try other stuff on occasion, but always end up on P/P/L x 6. Friggen love it.

Sample push day:

1-Flat DB Press. 2 work sets at 75% effort, then 1 all out RP set to failure x3 (think DC here)

2-Dips. same as above.

3-Barbell Military Press. same as above.

4-Skull crushers. same as above.

5-DB or machine lateral raises. 350 (Paul Carter style). 3 sets to 50 and once I hit 50 in 3 sets I increase the lbs.

I don't count the warm ups, but there is "volume" as I ramp up to my working weights. Workouts typically take 50 mins.

Yes for results. PUSH- PULL- LEGS training 6x per week. That is my bread and butter split. I do 5 exercises per workout. I try other stuff on occasion, but always end up on P/P/L x 6. Friggen love it.

Sample push day:

1-Flat DB Press. 2 work sets at 75% effort, then 1 all out RP set to failure x3 (think DC here)

2-Dips. same as above.

3-Barbell Military Press. same as above.

4-Skull crushers. same as above.

5-DB or machine lateral raises. 350 (Paul Carter style). 3 sets to 50 and once I hit 50 in 3 sets I increase the lbs.

I don't count the warm ups, but there is "volume" as I ramp up to my working weights. Workouts typically take 50 mins.

whats pull day like ? do you do rear delts on pull ?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131