over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Doug Brignole Incline bench not that effective for chest

Love_to_Bodybuild

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0VgreC52E"]Incline Presses Do Not Really Work the Upper Pecs Much ! - YouTube[/ame]

new video of his up yesterday. He makes a point. Ive done Incline work for years and now I'm definitely keeping it in, esp like 20-30 degree incline work, although maybe ill do more decline db.

I must say when I did more decline db's my chest did seem to look the best/

I did a lot of incline work , esp barbell, and some db this offseason. I did 275-4 x's on incline barbell, which is an all time pe for me. and 315-4 x's on the smith this offseason. Upper chest a little, and shoulders esp. but I dont see where it grew much despite my strength gains this offseason esp on incline work....

its unconventional, I think hes onto something though and time for me to switch back to decline db press. Some more flat stuff too like flat db flys etc

im still going to do some incline work mind you...

Last edited:
The EMG studies and the such that I have seen show a slight decline of like 10 degrees actually activates more upper chest fibers and I have found that to be true as well.

I feel neutral or semi reverse grip inclines with the Gronk bar much more than any incline with a straight bar.

I've been hitting Incline B-bell hard and consistently every week for a few weeks now emphasizing progressive overload trying to maintain the same effective rom, tempo, and form and not compromise form for the sake of heavier weight.

I've been getting great results and my chest is responding well and is the biggest it's ever been. Been bodybuilding 22 years now.

I incorporate all angles and equipment that I feel help me maximize hypertrophy. I make them all work for me. I also do declines a lot as I feel they are safer and just as effective as flat benches are.

Listen to your body and do what works for you.

i've always found that with very heavy incline barbell pressing my anterior delts really took the hit more so than my chest. Incline DB press seem to buy me a little more pec than w/barbell. My shoulders are very beat up so often i will save incline barbell for my third movement and by that time i can't use much weight anyway and i'll just go over 8 reps. for whatever reason, this seems to make my chest more sore than if i were to do them very heavy and in the beginning of the workout. Now i understand that soreness isn't everything, and some even argue it doesn't mean much at all, but i like to feel some soreness after training a muscle group. So anyway, i've found that incline barbell in particular utilizes a ton of front delt and possibly not a ton of pec for me. That's what i suspect.

Interesting side note, for the people who make the argument that soreness means very little in terms of stimulating hypertrophy; they will often point to how Olympic weightlifters and the massive thighs they often possess. More often than not these guys only doing squats and it's at the end of their workouts and often for sets of 1-3 reps. Yes, they're doing the actual competition lifts (snatch and c&j which requires squatting the weight up from the bottom position) so they're doing additional volume (not just their sets of squats at the end). Most of these lifters try to avoid doing too many reps because they DO NOT want to be sore as it will affect their next day's training session. They try to avoid soreness like the plague. So in essence, they're doing something very very different than what bodybuilders do, almost polar opposites, and yet the majority of them achieve extreme muscularity in their lower bodies. something to think about.

I have always preferred inclines to flats - I'm stronger than on flats and I have a good upper-chest front delt shelf (IMO) from them. Anecdotal to be sure, but I'll keep going at it as I have for 35 years :cool:

Since i've been doing low degree declines, my chest has grown a lot!

I do like 20 degree incline too

How are you guys doing 10 degree declines? Ive only seen the fixed position decline bench that is probably 35 degrees or so.

How are you guys doing 10 degree declines? Ive only seen the fixed position decline bench that is probably 35 degrees or so.

Put a plate under the bench. It does suck a bit since you cant brace yourself very well.

I use a adjustable sit up bench

What a coincidence. On my Sunday afternoon walk I listened to a one hour
podcast Doug Brignole. He spent half the time talking about the ‘mechanics’
of bodybuilding exercises and his new book (published soon, ~500 pages,
a PDF, $50).

While I admire the thought he is putting into exercise physiology, a fresh
look if you will, when in fact from what he described, is far from original
for the most part (not having read his entire book and I doubt I will) as
he is doing nothing more nor less than rehashing, regurgitating just about
everything Arthur Jones said 50 years ago without giving credit where
credit is due :(

FYI . . . his is planning on entering a bodybuilding contest at the end of this
year as a ‘proof of concept’ which will really show nothing of value in my
opinion as he will just be rebuilding previously expositing muscle (as much
as possible that is by following his new protocol), with any ‘new’ muscle at
his age, being more a fantasy if anything. But I wish him the best regardless.
When he was much younger, he looked fantastic, a real ‘classic’ physique.

Agree but I have trouble getting db's into place these days.

I fact that's how I messed up my one bad rotator

Yeah that can suck. But the risk of messing up your shoulder(s) that way compared to messing them up with a barbell is still a lot lower. You were just unlucky :)

Truly you dont want to go over 10 degrees or so on a incline.. Doug is correct.. the higher we go the more the anterior delt kicks in...I use a 2×4 and it's just fine.. but biomechanically Doug is correct...

DB incline has always been my staple, I rarely do flat and never do decline at all. I was always taught that incline works your upper chest which lifts your chest up and you don't want to do decline because it works your lower chest and gravity will eventually take over and make your shit sag if you build up your lower chest. For bodybuilder who is all about here and now that doesn't matter but for me who wants to look good for life it made sense.

Kinda sobering to read I may have had that very wrong all these years, I think I'll incorporate more flat and maybe no do much of an angle on incline anymore.

Personally I love incline. It’s my staple and heaviest working sets. Nothing beats it to make the chest pop out your shirt.

I noticed the best improvements to my upper chest is a barbell shoulder press. On a 75 or so degree angle so it’s a little bit leaned back.

Also a good upper chest is good to create illusion having it stick out from the clavical makes you look thick

My upper chest is massive from incline work.
I don't do flat...and only do decline hammer strength.

It's interesting to me how everyone thinks they can so easily tell which specific exercises have helped them build their muscles. I don't know about you guys but I was doing every exercise when trying to build muscle. How the heck should I know which one helped more than the others? Just being realistic.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member