advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WHY ARE BODYBUILDERS BIGGER TODAY THAN THE PAST?

Geardepot

Guaranteed Sponsor
Registered
Sponsors
The past versus the present. The old versus the new. A topic that has been kicked about in the bodybuilding community for some time now. So here's the question? Why are the mass monster's today bigger than the "Golden Era" bodybuilders?
Obviously...access to more and better anabolics and ancillaries is on the list. Better nutritional science and training methods would be included as well. But is that it? Or is it something more? Arnold had one of the most impressive bodybuilding physiques of all time with the over the top and influential personality to back it all up. Arnold was the most popular bodybuilder of his time because of his mental game, posing routine, confidence, and sheer size. So though he’s still considered to be one of the greatest bodybuilder of all time, it is a bit interesting that most of the pros these days appear so much more massive than Arnold ever did.
So...do you think that Arnold (or any of the bodybuilders during that era), could reach the same mass, density, and hardness of say a Ronnie Coleman or Phil Heath if they had access to all the things today's bodybuilders do? And as a secondary question...do you see a genetic limit eventually happening as far as how massive a bodybuilder can become? Swirl this around in your grey matter, and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
GD

I think Ronnie was the limit genetic of size and condition for a superstructure.

Now, for types of 212, we see that the guys seem bigger every time, but their weight cannot increase due to the limitations of the division. Hadi and Derek seem much heavier than many open competitors.

Arnold was a tall guy, like Freeman or Gunter, Freeman was never competitive for Olympia, Gunter just one year.

I would have liked to see Bertil Fox or Victor Richards with modern science.

I think Ronnie was the limit genetic of size and condition for a superstructure.

Now, for types of 212, we see that the guys seem bigger every time, but their weight cannot increase due to the limitations of the division. Hadi and Derek seem much heavier than many open competitors.

Arnold was a tall guy, like Freeman or Gunter, Freeman was never competitive for Olympia, Gunter just one year.

I would have liked to see Bertil Fox or Victor Richards with modern science.

Bertil would murder everyone.

I think there is no question that Arnold would have won the Olympia today just as he did back in the day. As far as limits to how big guys can get, I would say we are fast approaching that. If something like Follistatin that really works is developed then it may push ever further. I don't see it being much more though because organs like the heart cant sustain it.

I think there is no question that Arnold would have won the Olympia today just as he did back in the day. As far as limits to how big guys can get, I would say we are fast approaching that. If something like Follistatin that really works is developed then it may push ever further. I don't see it being much more though because organs like the heart cant sustain it.

No question??

Based on what

Bertil would murder everyone.

BWAHAHAHA!

all seriousness tho, its prob due to the rampant spreading of knowledge that has come along with technology. and the ever increasing doses that happens decade after decade bc its a sport of pushing the boundries in weights, food, drugs etc.

i like to drag race and imo its much like drag racing. engines havent changed a whole lot but the various kinds of power adders and how much power you can get out of an 8 cylinder engine has changed ALOT over the years. but the 8 cylinder engine is pretty much the same as its always been. (not perfect anology but c'mon i am tryin)
-F

Last edited:
There’s an old quote that I can’t recall that goes like: the smartest guy in the world is probably getting water from a well in a village somewhere and he’ll never know what he’s truly capable of due to circumstances.

Somewhere out there is a crazy jacked guy cleaning lockers in a middle school with the genetics to be the freakiest bodybuilder of all time, but he has no interest nor any exposure to this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether Arnold could bring up his legs to where they would need to be is in question. He may not have the genetics to do it, many others were lacking in those genes and couldn't do it. And he would have a harder time hiding his wide waist. And the added leg work and calories might take to much of a toll on his waist as well. And his arrogant nature would loose some internet fans.

There’s an old quote that I can’t recall that goes like: the smartest guy in the world is probably getting water from a well in a village somewhere and he’ll never know what he’s truly capable of due to circumstances.

Somewhere out there is a crazy jacked guy cleaning lockers in a middle school with the genetics to be the freakiest bodybuilder of all time, but he has no interest nor any exposure to this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The smartest guy in the well quote was utterly moronic.

More emphasis on nutrition Q2-3hr meals
Insulin
HGH
IGF-1
Higher doses of AAS
More knowledge and access to old/new AAS
Synthol
Never coming off...

As far as limits to how big guys can get, I would say we are fast approaching that.

In a way, the classic shows that leaders know that there is not much more in terms of maximum size. Also, if we look at the last champions, Heath, Rhoden and probably Curry this year (or Bonac), we see that these guys are not massive. Even if Roelly would be champion, he would not be superior to Coleman.

just take a look at Lee Labrada, and Lee Labrada's son, and you will see what have changed in the game!!!!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Arnold's legs were exactly where they needed to be in his era. Pretty sure he wouldn't have any problem. The mental side was there in spades.

Whether Arnold could bring up his legs to where they would need to be is in question. He may not have the genetics to do it, many others were lacking in those genes and couldn't do it. And he would have a harder time hiding his wide waist. And the added leg work and calories might take to much of a toll on his waist as well. And his arrogant nature would loose some internet fans.

The past versus the present. The old versus the new. A topic that has been kicked about in the bodybuilding community for some time now. So here's the question? Why are the mass monster's today bigger than the "Golden Era" bodybuilders?
Obviously...access to more and better anabolics and ancillaries is on the list. Better nutritional science and training methods would be included as well. But is that it? Or is it something more? Arnold had one of the most impressive bodybuilding physiques of all time with the over the top and influential personality to back it all up. Arnold was the most popular bodybuilder of his time because of his mental game, posing routine, confidence, and sheer size. So though he’s still considered to be one of the greatest bodybuilder of all time, it is a bit interesting that most of the pros these days appear so much more massive than Arnold ever did.
So...do you think that Arnold (or any of the bodybuilders during that era), could reach the same mass, density, and hardness of say a Ronnie Coleman or Phil Heath if they had access to all the things today's bodybuilders do? And as a secondary question...do you see a genetic limit eventually happening as far as how massive a bodybuilder can become? Swirl this around in your grey matter, and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
GD

HGH and Insulin.

No question??

Based on what

Based on how well he did back then. Back then they were all doing the same drugs etc, just like they are now. If he were competing now he would be taking the same PEDs as all of the top stars. The development of Arnold would be a lot better than it was and I think he would still be about the same on the curve of the population of bodybuilders, right at the top. His legs are a bit of a question, but I think he would have worked those harder like the guys do nowadays. Back then they didn't train the same. If you look at Arnold's calves, they were small at first and he put his mind to it and worked them so hard that they became a strong point toward the end.

Like someone else said, huge big legs weren't seen back then as having to be on an Olympia winner.

Tom Platz placements:

1981 Mr. Olympia 3rd
1982 Mr. Olympia 6th
1984 Mr. Olympia 10th
1985 Mr. Olympia 7th
1986 Mr. Olympia 11th

Arnold had retired by 1980 and even in the mid 80s huge legs weren't a big thing. You can look at the winners. I think if Arnold hit them hard like guys do now and used the drugs, his legs would be much thicker.

As already stated, GH, slin, IGF.

IMO Arnold would still win today, but not as easily as back in his era due to much more competition. When these " time machine" topics come up, I actually like to do a flip-flop and instead of just looking at how Arnie would do today, I like to imagine if we took a Coleman, Yates, Jay or Phil and make them born in 1947 - growing up with all the same available tools as others back then, and see how they would do against Arnold in the early to mid 70's. Would they win, or be competitive? Would Yates or Ronnie still have an insane back, considering back then, backs weren't such a dominating preclude to win shows? Would Jay or Coleman still have insane quads bcoz "sick legs" back then weren't in vogue, and not even close to being so heavily judged as today? I think this would be very interesting.

While on this topic, imagine if a prime Sergio Sr were around today with all the current tools at his disposal? THAT would be a sight to behold.

Look at him at the 74 Olympia before he blew out his knee. For the era his legs were pretty big.

USSQy8fB7tdnjmpu7

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity