over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is your identity tied to your physique?

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
The obvious answer i think is yes; our physiques are a part of “ourselves”.

But I guess what I’m asking is that a lot of folks have self worth tied to their physique in this hobby. Which can be a great source of fuel and misery; a double edged sword.

I was thinking about this myself; could I just let go of bodybuilding entirely and go pursue like rock climbing if I wanted? A part of me was like: sure, they’re only muscles, who cares. Another parts like: no way; we re in too deep now lol

Thinking back; lots of people aren’t with us for that very reason as well. They couldn’t let go, or “regress”. Makes one think whether this conversation should be something people should be having, especially for the future generation that is married to social media and instant gratification.

Lot of older guys here have kids, and much more wisdom than their younger selves. I’m sure they’d tell their younger self a thing or two if they could.

Could you guys go back to looking “normal” if you wanted? I think that’s a harder question than most would admit to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My identity is definetely tied up to my physique, which is totally, totally fucked up.

Yes ofc. Why would I go to the gym let alone pin myself if I didn't want to be exceptional?

If I had to stop roiding id be very self conscious. I'd also stop lifting entirely just go back to boxing or somth.

Have to go off for a few months and I'm already lamenting it looking for things to cruise on thst don't shut me down. Prob be a depressed reck.

I don't think we reallly have a choice in the matter after youve obtained a certain level of size or a look. Most people from the first meeting or impress will label you a bber or a big guy. It doesn't matter what other talents you may bring to the table looks in most situation's always seem to superceded personality traits when categrizing people. In my profession i find it really difficult to break the stigma of being a big guy regardless of my resume esp on first impressions.

The condition of my physique definitely played a role in determining my self worth when I started training at the age of thirteen. However over the years that aspect has dissapeared. My physique, wether I'm competing or not will always be one of several things that I use to identify myself with mainly because it's a reflection and a direct result of the success I've had over the years as an amatuer bodybuilder. Basically it's the pride and accomplishment I identify with, it now has nothing to do with self worth.:cool:

Aloha,

Wow..talk about hitting the nail on the head..

The duality of my life - born with athletic physique. Voted in junior high school 'Best Physique'. That followed me into high school. Elite athlete in a number of sports.. Started weight training in the 8th grade.

Long and short of it, my symmetry and build got me girls, modeling work, adulations, attention...it gave me a self-confidence, as well as a false sense of, 'I am my body'...

As I got in my 20's working out..training harder than anyone back on the north shore of Oahu..

All the while partying, and poisoning my body with excessive amounts of alcohol, cocaine and other drugs..

Then in my 30's I took up bodybuilding and of course I started doing AAS, then HGH, doing a few shows...getting on stage to 'show off my body'..because I am my body...or so I thought...why did I feel so empty...
Am I only my body...that's my identification...

Then doing holistic practices to offset the damage I was inflicting, and prior
crazy lifestyle choices I had chosen...

Luckily and thankfully, I also had a great interest in learning more about holistic health and fitness, mind, body and spirit...

Ancient practices and methods from cultures around the world. I began to realize that this,'I am my body identity and philosophy', was only a brief spec of who I really was...more importantly...

I started to wake up to my potentialities...abilities...Who I really am...Who I can become...

This journey of our 'physical identification', and all the things that come with it can keep us from realizing 'all of who we are and can become', and not utilize all the great diversity and gifts that lies within...

So, in ending, a number of years ago (65 now) I embraced a balance of body...mind...and spirit...all are equally important for a fulfilling life..

One thing for sure...it wasn't easy... it was a helluva journey..no regrets...and I certainly learned a lot...

BTW, I am still strength training, and doing various forms of balanced holistic exercising...

V

Definitely used to be. Much less now but it’s impossible to say it isn’t at all.

My identity is definetely tied up to my physique, which is totally, totally fucked up.

In my hospital room about 6 days after my heart attack I walked over to the mirror and looked at myself and said out loud to my wife and her father how I looked like shit now, and then her father told me that I was lucky to just be alive. At that moment I didn't see it ,but looking back now I can really see just how hooked I was on bodybuilding.

My expectations is that however people think/feel about themselves in their early/teen years carries over throughout their life. The good looking, fat smart, dumb person always feels that way deep down inside. But with luck people learn skills to adapt and go beyond. BBing can be a usful crutch to help cope. But the day will come when we are not as strong, big or turning heads like we once did. But that is life. Planning in advance for it to happen puts you in much better control then if you are just thrust into trying to accept it.

I remember at 25 I was in the best shape of my life...The only time I ever truly looked like a bodybuilder (entire package including the legs) instead of just someone that stayed in shape.

Was 230s, juiced to shit and couldn't breathe/move well at all...One of those guys that cannot put on heavy size without heavy gear use...Lasted a few months and when I started dropping things and cutting back, the size left with it.

Went to make another push some years later and was making progress when I got popped...Went in with guys calling me j.u.ICE, within month they were saying damn man, j.u.ICE got squeezed like an orange lol.

Between the crashing and the indictment, went into the only depression of my life and lasted about a yr and a half before I snapped myself out of it and started just doing some light workouts again.

After that it was just trying to stay in shape...Some chest, arms, shoulders (have always been pretty vascular) and stomach as flat as possible while dieting stayed shitty.

I try to keep in mind a lot of it has to do with how you carry yourself...If you can carry yourself, showing that you respect yourself, then you are already doing better then 95% of the people out there! Of course it doesn't hurt upping the Test a bit and throwing some Tren in there to help move things along:p but the days of wanting to keep getting bigger and bigger are long past.

And that's the problem that many of us face...Especially with these forums and people in our everyday lives. People in our everyday have no problem pointing out if we are losing size and these forums will always keep in our face about always wanting to be bigger as we continue seeing our peers make progress year after year. The problem is once you stick that first pin, you will never be "big enough"!

It helps me to view the entire thing now as bodybuilding is a single man's game...I have a wife that has seen me at my best and at my worst. Now it's as long as I look pretty good when it's time to travel, I have no one left to impress and I would prefer not to be noticed anymore. As long as I don't hang out with any of you massive fucks, then I don't think about it lol.

Last edited:
Aloha,

Well said K1!!

Quality and optimal life...finding and living that mix is the key to fulfillment..

V

If Dorian, who built one of the best bodies of all time, let him go, anyone should be able to do it. For nattys it's easier to grow old because there is never a drastic change.

i've noticed that men in general tend to "max out" whatever they do, including building their bodies.. in the process doing it, ego/identity gets tied to the way we look. it's always about crossing boundaries at whatever we do. to somewhat try to counter all this, its healthy to try and switch up activities one does.
For a long time I wanted to be as big as possible, once I added some significant size and got a grip on what it takes to build and maintain one.. was a bit of a reality hit. Since then i have changed my outlook on things, nowadays I'm trying to maintain a balance - do some rock climbing, do some calisthenics, some kettlebells, some weight training, during summer some swimming/cycling. Being as BIG as possible requires too many sacrificies I'm not willing to make. Reading this forum and especially older members experiences/life lessions has made it easier to stick with the thought "of never being big enough and that's okay!".

I'd venture to say that everyone on this site is tied to their body whether they realize or not. This is an AAS/BB site.

Without question......

Same here, Big A.
I think this goes for everyone here if they’re being honest with themselves.
Health isn’t the pure motivation.
That’s just too damn boring of a reason to hang with the brothers of iron on Professional Muscle.
We all want to look powerful and stand out from the sheep 🐑

Yep. Like most of you, I'm known as the "big guy"

Size used to be before and during competing.
Now that I'm a bit older it's a certain level of body fat.

I was much more comfortable to "be me" with higher BF when the size was there. Now that I'm downsized for health there's a certain BF level that's a line in the sand. If I pass it up I automatically am more moody and just feel uncomfortable in my skin.
It's really shitty that I seemingly can't control being better or worse towards others based on what the mirror/body fat level is but the hard truth is there. It's something I'll likely be working on to improve, along with balance with everything else in life, for the foreseeable future.

I'd venture to say that everyone on this site is tied to their body whether they realize or not. This is an AAS/BB site.

Actually, in one way or another, everyone in Western culture is identified with their appearance. We give more importance to the body, most people give more importance to how they look dresses.

Actually, in one way or another, everyone in Western culture is identified with their appearance. We give more importance to the body, most people give more importance to how they look dresses.

Any fool can look good with clothes ON......... i'd rather look better naked.... BOOM

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear