over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to bring back flat bench power

grizzly978

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I used to be able to hit 225 for 23-28 reps no lie, this was 4 years ago on a light cycle and then one day I started just doing machines and quit barbell benches.
I’m the same size , weight , and want that power back.
What do you guys do to regain bench power?

yeah for me it helps to bench press regularly and keep it on the 10 rep range with as many pounds as you can . I find it personally more beneficial to do 10 reps instead of the 3-5 for strength, to each their own I guess

A lot of benching volume is what always helped me. That and if I kind of just mainted my squat strength instead of trying to push that hard aswell I’d always be able to add pounds to my bench a lot easier then.

You could also train doing partial reps so you can handle more weight, or do negatives if you have a training partner to help you. Look into the methods powerlifters use. Things like bands help too.

nothing gets you stronger, IMO, than 5x5 for pressing movements like military press, squats, and bench.

5x5, 7x3, floor press and partials with tables.

I have found simply gaining weight helps the most for me. The bench is actually affected more by your bodyweight than the squat and much more than the deadlift.

Of course, when you sre dieting is the movement where you see the greatest loss of strength.

Target your slow areas in the bench. Bottom or lockout. Use lots of variations with bands, chains, ect. Use a linear periodization or undulating progression.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

Ok I do have a tip for you. Take a weight you know you can get 2, maybe 3 reps with. So about 85%-95% of your estimate one rep max. Get underneath it, and bench it one time, clean, good form, as much force as possible on the positive, squeeze as hard as you can. It should require maximal effort and will be very difficult, but because it's slightly less than your one rep max, you won't hit failure, and you should be able to hit that weight about 5-10 times as long as you take several minutes of rest in between each set. This will strengthen your muscles quickly. Also doing the same thing with doubles, triples, and 5x5s.

bench press 3x a week
different rep ranges each day
mond 3x10
wed 4x8
fri 5x6

add volume for 3 weeks then deload then 4 more weeks and repeat

I have found simply gaining weight helps the most for me. The bench is actually affected more by your bodyweight than the squat and much more than the deadlift.

Very true. Adipose tissue works wonders for chest pressing exercises. Look around your gym and you'll see the fattest guys always loading up the plates. They're also the same guys that can't do a single pull-up and use much lighter weights on everything else by comparison. The ratios are way out of proportion.

Very true. Adipose tissue works wonders for chest pressing exercises. Look around your gym and you'll see the fattest guys always loading up the plates. They're also the same guys that can't do a single pull-up and use much lighter weights on everything else by comparison. The ratios are way out of proportion.

All this means is that the bar has less distance to travel. Gaining weight doesnt make you stronger. Gaining fat does nothing for strength

All this means is that the bar has less distance to travel. Gaining weight doesnt make you stronger. Gaining fat does nothing for strength

Yeah, less distance and they say that the fat provides more leverage to the joints lifting the weight. I think they are right.

Last edited:

Body fat does not make you strong but extra calories and fat coating the joints allow you to train harder. You will not improve your best lifts with 6-8% body fat.

I've seen fat fucks with long arms press big weights. It's 100% a leverage advantage when a big blob of a cushion is pressed against the bench. Leverage is also one of the reasons nobody in this world will ever squat more than they leg press.

I've seen fat fucks with long arms press big weights. It's 100% a leverage advantage when a big blob of a cushion is pressed against the bench. Leverage is also one of the reasons nobody in this world will ever squat more than they leg press.

Well, to be fair the leg press is at an angle, like a ramp. So it is a sort of lever and reduces the amount of force needed to lift the weight. The steeper the angle the more force it takes to lift it. A lot of leg presses are 45 degrees, so that cuts the weight about half I think. I used to like the 60 degree press, don't have to load as many 45s on it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131