over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T-Handgun

mung

FOUNDING Member / Board Supporter
Registered
Board Supporter
I hope it is ok to post this here as it is not bb related. However, I just read a lot of old posts on this subject!

I'm beginning the search for a good handgun for my girlfriend and I to start taking some classes. I realize after reading old posts there are some very knowledgeable people here on the subject. I have my search narrowed down to the Springfield XDM series, the H&K line and a couple of the CZ, Sig and Glock's.

I know absolutely nothing about handguns, other than what the local gun shop employee has shared with me and what I've read online. The gun will be for recreational shooting and home protection only. I don't hunt. I really like the feel of the SA XDM, fits great in my hand and feels very natural to hold. There are no close indoor ranges and it is currently about -25 degrees outside, so I have not fired any of these. I have no problem with a 9mm or 40, but I see the ammo for the 9mm is noticeably less expensive.

My questions is this, does anybody have any good sites that sell used handguns, I've found some but most of the guns for sale are old posts or have been sold. Looking for a site with some traffic/members and good solid information.

Additionally does anyone have a gun they would like to sell? I don't want a sub, only full sized.

Thank you!

I would suggest to go to a local gun shop. I just bought a glock 40, because all of my Deputy Sheriff friends have one. Really good gun, but the handle is big for a smaller hand, also has no safety. I like it because you can put a light and laser sights on it. A good gun for your girl might be a Springfield 9MM. It has a smaller handle. Make sure she goes to a safety course on how to use it.

Perfect girly gun

I bought my wife a 9mm x 18 Makarov. Its smaller than a 9mm Luger and has about 95g powder per round. The round is also about 1/4" shorter than a Luger. The gun cost about $200 and it fits nicely in her purse....will light anyone up, thats for sure.

My only hang up is the clip...not a revolver...but hey, aim right the first time and you wont have to worry about a clip jam.

Go to your local gun shop. They have used guns for sale. I just bought a Glock 26-9m. It's called a baby glock. I got the extend mag, for better grip. It's a nice gun to Carrie.They go for about 600.00.

for new guns at a good price.
**broken link removed**

the biggest used gun site. look around good deals come and go.
**broken link removed**

I hope it is ok to post this here as it is not bb related. However, I just read a lot of old posts on this subject!

I'm beginning the search for a good handgun for my girlfriend and I to start taking some classes. I realize after reading old posts there are some very knowledgeable people here on the subject. I have my search narrowed down to the Springfield XDM series, the H&K line and a couple of the CZ, Sig and Glock's.
I know absolutely nothing about handguns, other than what the local gun shop employee has shared with me and what I've read online. The gun will be for recreational shooting and home protection only. I don't hunt. I really like the feel of the SA XDM, fits great in my hand and feels very natural to hold. There are no close indoor ranges and it is currently about -25 degrees outside, so I have not fired any of these. I have no problem with a 9mm or 40, but I see the ammo for the 9mm is noticeably less expensive.

My questions is this, does anybody have any good sites that sell used handguns, I've found some but most of the guns for sale are old posts or have been sold. Looking for a site with some traffic/members and good solid information.

Additionally does anyone have a gun they would like to sell? I don't want a sub, only full sized.

Thank you!

TMI

Last edited:
Best thing to get for a lady is a revolver not a semi-auto. High reliability and low maintenence is what you want and that's what a revolver gives. A good gun for a decent price i'd go with taurus, as for the caliber at least a 38sp so as to have some stopping power, you don't want to break the bank on something you may rarely use.

I'm a big Glock fan , I own several and shoot them alot , its what I carry for protection so I stake my life on its relaibility and function in less than ideal situations.
that said the Sprongfield XD is a very shootable gun , the grip angle is good the grip isin't overly big so women take to shooting it easly. They are very reliable from what little I've shot them (maybe 2000 rounds) but others that I shoot with like theirs alot and have had no problems with them.
the Sig 226 is a very good weapon but like ironjunkie stated the double action can be tought for women.

NOW , don't limit yourself to semi automatic pistols ,their are several great revolvers out their and for those that don't shoot alot they are a good choice due to their ease of operation. The "lady smith" was desgined for women to carry , the S&W model 640 is another great choice , light , compact , no exposed hammer , rated for 357 mag ammo (38 special works perfect)

either way you go you need to find a gun that fits you both well then spend plent of time shooting it , their is zero substitute to proper practice. Don't get coned into buying a 40 or 45 beacue some jackoff behind the counter thinks its a better "man stopper" , thats total bullshit what makes the differance is proper ammo , a 380 with good defense ammo will stop a man faster than a 44 mag with the wrong ammo and thats a fact. Good selfdefense ammo is expensive but hopefully you will never have to shoot any of it , just rotate your ammo out once a year and your good

Spend time at the range and take some classes , laod the gun with good ammo and you'll be set. Again proper practice and learning to shoot in stressfull situations will make the differance in life or death when it comes down to it , much more so than what gun the clerk thinks is the best.

the setup I'd reccommend for sombody home would be a Glock 19 ,loaded with Glaser Silver ammo (perfect home defense ammo) with a Surefire X-300 light , it mounts to the font rail and will fully ightup a room and blind a perp out to about 30 yds. The added weight of the light greatly reduces recoil and helps stay on target making fast second and third shots accurate. A good light is an invaluble tool to anybody that may have to fight in the dark.

I worked for Springfield for almost 20 years. I have seen every handgun come and go over that time span. I have handled all the guns, been to numerous distributor/trade shows blah, blah, blah.

The best gun for you is probably going to be the Springfield, and I say that while working for another firearm manufacturer. They are simple, they work, they're durable, and if you ever have a problem, S.A. has the best customer service in the business.

The best thing about the XD is that whether you are experienced, or a first timer, something about it still appeals to you.

Good luck with your search. The most improtant thing is that you are both happy with your choice. I would lean toward 9mm if I were you. I have seen women get turned off by the snappy recoil that the 40s&w round has. IMO the .40 is also the worst feeding auto pistol cartridge out there.

Springfield XD

Springfield XD gets my vote. Everything said above, no kidding! Its American made and I really appreciate the 2 different size clips you can buy for it. The smaller one for personal carry, compact, and the larger full size one, for target practice and home protection. It is like having 2 guns in one.

Great info everyone thank you!

I realize I will have to shoot as many as possible, a simple audition of the ones that "feel right." Sofar, it is the Springfield XDM. The extra knurled grip really fits my hand and I liked the trigger feel best.

I have also tried the Smith & Wesson M&P but the trigger mechanism felt "rough", not as crisp as the SA.

pesty-Glocks are still in the hunt, as buddy just bought the 19, so I will have a chnace to shoot it. Also, congrats on being the latest featured member. You look great!

ness-I have not heard of the Makarov...thank you for the info. I'll look into that one.

sgtedrobinson-I live in Iowa, so the used gun supply is limited! They have about 20 used here, but nothing that felt right.

buck-great, exactly the info I was looking for.I have searched a few sites and will check these out. I did find one used SA XDM 40 for $565...am waiting back for an answer.

ironjunkie-yep, just itchin to try out some of these guns. I have never shot a pistol before. Looking forward to it.

big dub-the choice for her will be exactly that...hers. They have a fairly good selection of "smaller" revolvers locally, so she will have a few to choose from.

gunsmith-I read all of your prior posts last night (until about 2!) just trying to learn. Thank you for your input! The local shops don't have HK's, so I wil have to travel to find some. I fully intend to take shooting classes and maybe some tactical classes over time. This is something we want to do together, quality time! The ammo aspect of firearms is something I have never even considered. I have everything to learn on this topic and know absolutely nothing. The websites are going to be critical for info!

gancho-Great suggestions...I really didn't like the S&W as well. The trigger didn't feel as crisp.

marshallmadman-That is a strong commentary on SA! They really felt good to hold and I like the trigger feel the best. What are the LEM and DA/SA triggers? What does that mean...in practical terms?

Again, thank you to everyone who provided input! Amazing what you learn here!

Anyone have a pistol they want to sell?

i would go with either a taurus or springfield in 9mm they are both reasonably priced and reliable,i have a nice collection of handguns myself starting with a 25 automatic and ending with a 44 mag and pretty much everything in between,but nothing for sale though

Anyone have any insighton this gun? For the price, it appears to be a pretty good value. It has some good reviews on the net, but not sure how reliable the reviews are.

**broken link removed**

I am being totally niave here, but does this gun receive lower ratings due to some areas of limited ammo availability? Is the 45 ammo that much more expensive and/or scarce?

Here's the one I like best sofar...thank you for the site buck!

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Best thing to get for a lady is a revolver not a semi-auto. High reliability and low maintenence is what you want and that's what a revolver gives. A good gun for a decent price i'd go with taurus, as for the caliber at least a 38sp so as to have some stopping power, you don't want to break the bank on something you may rarely use.

TMI

Last edited:
revolvers are good just cause they go BANG everytime..in a real situation a woman..or even a man sometimes cant hold there cool under pressure.

if the the gun has a failure to feed or failure to eject the person would have to rack the slide and unjam the gun.

hope that makes sense..

by the way, i have a xd compact 9mm w/ night sites, hogue grip and a streamlight TLR3 and im waiting on my CCL..should be here any day now.

i chose the xd over the glock for a couple reasons.. 1. the glock didnt fit my hand as well. 2. being my first gun i want sometime of safety..the glock doesnt have any.

Last edited:
Anyone have any insighton this gun? For the price, it appears to be a pretty good value. It has some good reviews on the net, but not sure how reliable the reviews are.

**broken link removed**

I am being totally niave here, but does this gun receive lower ratings due to some areas of limited ammo availability? Is the 45 ammo that much more expensive and/or scarce?

I personlly would stay away from exotic ammo unless your going to load it yourself. If shit hit the fan you want to use a caliber that has ammo mass produced for it and you could find anywhere!

Last edited:
my wife likes to shoot her XD 40 better than her Glock 27, but carries the Glock daily because it is smaller. I have to say that the XD is a joy to shoot, it just feels right in your hand and eats any kind of ammo you want to feed it from FMJ to hollowpoints.

I usually carry a Para Ordnance Warthawg .45 or occasionally a Ruger LCP

I'm a big Glock fan , I own several and shoot them alot , its what I carry for protection so I stake my life on its relaibility and function in less than ideal situations.
that said the Sprongfield XD is a very shootable gun , the grip angle is good the grip isin't overly big so women take to shooting it easly. They are very reliable from what little I've shot them (maybe 2000 rounds) but others that I shoot with like theirs alot and have had no problems with them.
the Sig 226 is a very good weapon but like ironjunkie stated the double action can be tought for women.

NOW , don't limit yourself to semi automatic pistols ,their are several great revolvers out their and for those that don't shoot alot they are a good choice due to their ease of operation. The "lady smith" was desgined for women to carry , the S&W model 640 is another great choice , light , compact , no exposed hammer , rated for 357 mag ammo (38 special works perfect)

either way you go you need to find a gun that fits you both well then spend plent of time shooting it , their is zero substitute to proper practice. Don't get coned into buying a 40 or 45 beacue some jackoff behind the counter thinks its a better "man stopper" , thats total bullshit what makes the differance is proper ammo , a 380 with good defense ammo will stop a man faster than a 44 mag with the wrong ammo and thats a fact. Good selfdefense ammo is expensive but hopefully you will never have to shoot any of it , just rotate your ammo out once a year and your good

Spend time at the range and take some classes , laod the gun with good ammo and you'll be set. Again proper practice and learning to shoot in stressfull situations will make the differance in life or death when it comes down to it , much more so than what gun the clerk thinks is the best.

the setup I'd reccommend for sombody home would be a Glock 19 ,loaded with Glaser Silver ammo (perfect home defense ammo) with a Surefire X-300 light , it mounts to the font rail and will fully ightup a room and blind a perp out to about 30 yds. The added weight of the light greatly reduces recoil and helps stay on target making fast second and third shots accurate. A good light is an invaluble tool to anybody that may have to fight in the dark.

TMI

Last edited:
If you're new to handguns, a Desert Eagle 50 should be fine.:rolleyes:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear