over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do we really need to much protein?

tr

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This was done only for research I haven't expected anything but it worked wonders for me...ended my cycle and was going to some time of cruise - no pressure on eating, training, supplementing etc...was on pretty heavy cycle, high calorie diet, felt like shit all the time, the last 4 weeks was like this:
cycle:
200-300mg test prop + 150 masteron + 2 iu GH
[prev 600-800 proj, 500 masteron, 300 tren, 300 winny, 25g anavar daily, 2iu gh, 300mcg ghrp+cjc]

training
eod - push,pull,legs 3 exercises 3 sets per bp no cardio (prev - 5-6 days a week 20-30 sets per bp + 30 min cardio ed)

DIET (this was the biggest difference)
current (all shakes):
meal1: 2 cups pineapple juice, 50g whey, 5g bcaa, 5g glutamine, multivits, vitC
meal2: 1-2 [ussally 1] cups banana juice 5g bcaa
meal3: as meal1 minus bcaa and glutamine plus 1tbs olive oil
meal4: as meal 2
pwo: 1-2 cups grape juice, 1-2 scoops whey, bcaa, glutamine
meal5: as meal 3
meal6: as meal 2 and 4 plus peanut butter

roughly 250-300g of carbs 150g protein 40-50g fat and only 2100-2300 cals

very low protein low calories low fat no starches but I've never felt better in my life lots of energy lots of fruit no NO BLOAT at all after those 4 weeks on this everyone notice how much better I'm looking, yes I've dropped about 10 pounds but it's mostly water, actually I think I've gained some muscle too (this could be due to overtraining in the past) on fruits I've filled out, looking leaner with no bloat. I've cheated here and there but those cheats was clean (had few days with 500+ clean starchy carbs - felt sick, had some fatty cheat - whole chicken baked potatoes, icecream...homemade pizza from oatmeal,chicken low fat cheese etc), but the biggest change was in the overall feeling - now I have lots of energy as in the past after every meal (which was mostly fish+rice or oats+whey) I felt sleepy, sluggish, bloated, gassy, had no energy etc...guess this is the price you have to pay if you want to get big - body is fighting with this and wants to stay where it is...

i'm seriously thinking of quitting all this protein bullshit... and i'm kind of in the reverse situation you're in...
during ramadhan, i quit training (every fucking year i say i'll push myself to go to the gym but... meh) and would probably eat 3000 or more cals per day of mostly carbs and fat, protein wouldn't exceed 50 grams per day... yeah i got fat, yeah i lost muscle, but i was eating way over maintenance, off gear, and not training... but, i wasn't bloated, i felt great, i felt... normal... i guess.
last week i started going to the gym and got back on my no carb diet and upped the protein to about 220 grams, lots of fat and veggies...
I feel like absolute shit... not tired or anything, but my stomach is just going crazy... it's been a week since i had my last bowel movement and i just don't feel "ok"...

dunno if there's something in the air these days, or if it's because i did a 180 on my eating habbits... dunno... all i know is that i'm not comfortable with all that protein (especially that all of it is coming from beef and eggs right now) and i'm bringing down to 150 and keeping it there... will report back in a couple of weeks on what happens...

and just so you know... same thing happened once i worked with other people who put me on over 250 grams of protein (up to 310 grams)... severe constipation and an overall feeling of killing myself

i'm seriously thinking of quitting all this protein bullshit... and i'm kind of in the reverse situation you're in...
during ramadhan, i quit training (every fucking year i say i'll push myself to go to the gym but... meh) and would probably eat 3000 or more cals per day of mostly carbs and fat, protein wouldn't exceed 50 grams per day... yeah i got fat, yeah i lost muscle, but i was eating way over maintenance, off gear, and not training... but, i wasn't bloated, i felt great, i felt... normal... i guess.
last week i started going to the gym and got back on my no carb diet and upped the protein to about 220 grams, lots of fat and veggies...
I feel like absolute shit... not tired or anything, but my stomach is just going crazy... it's been a week since i had my last bowel movement and i just don't feel "ok"...

dunno if there's something in the air these days, or if it's because i did a 180 on my eating habbits... dunno... all i know is that i'm not comfortable with all that protein (especially that all of it is coming from beef and eggs right now) and i'm bringing down to 150 and keeping it there... will report back in a couple of weeks on what happens...

and just so you know... same thing happened once i worked with other people who put me on over 250 grams of protein (up to 310 grams)... severe constipation and an overall feeling of killing myself

im currently working with someone right now.. lower protein, 1.3-5g to body weight, the rest of the diet made up of high carbs with low-mod fat.. digestion feels great, traning sessions are immense etc..

I have always noticed much leaner gains when I bulk, if I lower my protein intake... typically about .75-.85 per LB.... when I diet, I up it to prevent catabolism.

i also think protein will tend to be more anabolic in your body, like anything else, if you dont build up a tolerance to it. hence protein cycling... .85 bulking..up to 1.5g during diet.

All this hype about getting 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is pure bullshit.

You have to be killing yourself in the gym to need anything near that level, and not too many people train that hard. They think they do, but in reality they don't.

If you weigh 200 pounds and train 100-150 grams of protein is sufficient in a days time.

personally I've lowered my protein intake over the last few months, but I've upped my carb intake tremendously. And I'll tell you what I feel good and I'm actually seeing better results. I think the key for me was replacing the protein with carbs (and then some) for the calories. dont really know how its working but it is and I feel pretty good. for example: today and yesterday I only had about 175g of protein...not sure about carbs and fats (but carbs are pretty high). I weigh 235lbs btw

Mike you are right in the ballpark. People need to stop buying into all the hype. I have been lifting weights for 28 years. I have seen every supplement from Liver Tabs to L-Carnitine L-Tartrate. Anyone that says you aren't getting enough protein is dangling the carrot or selling protein.

Yes im in a wheelchair and was trying to eat the ole 1.5-2grams per pound and managed to get from my hospitol disharge wieght of 137#'s to 180#s of fatass in no time ive cut back to eating only when hungry at the macros my trainer set for me and im down to 160 cut and gaining muscle slow and steady at 90-120 grams a day i know 160 doesnt sound like much but im hoping to be at 180-200 in the next 6 -8months i was 205-210 b4 accident no aas for 6months prior to breaking my neck

Mike you are right in the ballpark. People need to stop buying into all the hype. I have been lifting weights for 28 years. I have seen every supplement from Liver Tabs to L-Carnitine L-Tartrate. Anyone that says you aren't getting enough protein is dangling the carrot or selling protein.

I agree. I have lowered my intake of protein to 200 a day. I am leaning out and not losing any strength. My body weigjt has gon from 228 to 217 in 3 weeks. Feel better and no bloat. Ahhhh

I can't see any difference in results with 150g vs. 250g+.

It seems like BCAA'S during the workout help, and post-workout protein with carbs is important.

I agree with this; at one point I made sure to get 300 grams of protein for a while; that time really sucked. :banghead: I don't even recall getting extra gains from it (did it for about 6 weeks).

Granted, as you can see with my most recent thread, sometimes I may go over 300grams, but on average I never go past 250. Another thing, doing that 300 or more grams of protein did not help me like protein shakes (never was a fan of protein powder).

Another thing that makes me feel better is keeping veggies and fruits as my carb source.

Again the disclaimer; everyone is different. :D All I know is what works for me.

Whey protein is the biggest sham ever thrust on the average bodybuilder. Think of ALRI supplements what you will, but they make a very good case as to the ineffectiveness of whey protein. Check their website for the research. Ever wonder why you got nothing off all those shakes? Why do the big guys always say solid food is better than shakes? If something doesn't work, why keep using it? So many lifters blindly keep buying this crap by the jug all over the country every day.

Last edited:
A strength training athlete needs what? Like 1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight? That's less than 1g per lb of bodyweight.

Though if steroids increase protein synthesis you might need more...

And there's also the idea that eating way more protein will increase protein synthesis. But that idea has no scientific evidence backing it.

Dr. Darden, Arthur Jones, and Mike Mentzer were big proponents of "low" protein diets (by "low," I mean "low" in comparison to the stuff pushed in mainstream bodybuilding circles).

In studies chocolate milk has been shown to be more effective than protein shakes.

Most people overeat protein. If on certain aas (tren) while nutrient partitioning is increased then you will be able to get away with lower protein but higher cals altogether can work in your favor if bulking.

The reason for overeating protein is that there really is no downside to it. 1.5-2g per lb of bodyweight isn't really gonna add much fat to you. Plus you only get about 70% of the cals from protein anyway so you're not even eating as much as you think.

Fruit should be in everyone's diet. If it's not go and pick up something like miracle reds. A decrease in cals every once in a while will really bring up the mood. A lot of guys overeat for so long that their bodies seem to lose the sensitivity it once had. Try cycling all your macronutrients yearly. That should bring about a better feeling. Also it seems a lot of you guys are anti-carb and I can't for the life of me figure out why...

.. it's been a week since i had my last bowel movement and i just don't feel "ok"...

A week? Holy shit (no pun intended) thats nuts bro...no wonder why you feel like shit (still no pun intended)...I never heard of someone going a week? Hell I cant even go 3-4 hours without dropping one off....Have you gone yet bro? I feel for you.

Mike Mentzer's take on this

**broken link removed**

I agree with the chap, as loonie as he was.

Password: bodybuildingpt

I think Bill Pearl, a Mr. Universe, said he ate about 70 grams of protein a day. In fact I think he was a vegetarian.

I just got done with a low protein, high carb, low fat diet experiment. Meh. It worked, I gained muscle. But I got also fat and couldn't lose it until I went back to: Protein .9 to 1gm per lb. High fat, very low carbs. Look and feel tons better in a matter of days. No insulin levels all over the place.

I think if the protein is lower, as long as you replace the calories with something that works for you (either carbs or fat) you'll still gain or retain.

It also feels like when the metabolism is working better, drugs work better too. JMO.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws