over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

a question about eating carbs only when you "need to"

EMC

Registered
for those of you on a high fat high protein low carb diet, do you eat carbs pre and post workout?

right now im having:

pre workout:
100g of carbs from oats
60-70g of protein from whey and oats

post workout:
100g of carbs from dextrose
60-70g of protein from egg whites and whey

I try to limit carbs other than leafy green to pre-workout. I don't see a need to let the muscles refill their energy stores in a big hurry, the body can spend the next 20 hours converting fat to energy and refill them slowly. If your muscles are satisfied there is no demand for that extra energy so why would it bother burning the fat?

You don't realy ever "need" carbs as their is nonsuch thing as essential carbs , personaly 200 grams carbs a day is pretty significant , when I do a low cablrb diet it's 20-30g a day.

If I were going to "low carb" all day then I would use carbs post workout to replace the glycogen you burned off in training and to cause an insulin pulse to assist transport of the carbs and protein

I try to limit carbs other than leafy green to pre-workout. I don't see a need to let the muscles refill their energy stores in a big hurry, the body can spend the next 20 hours converting fat to energy and refill them slowly. If your muscles are satisfied there is no demand for that extra energy so why would it bother burning the fat?

i think your right on that! if your body is filling up your body gradually with energy, then you give it a hit of carbs, your body may favour storing the extra energy as fat.

You don't realy ever "need" carbs as their is nonsuch thing as essential carbs , personaly 200 grams carbs a day is pretty significant , when I do a low cablrb diet it's 20-30g a day.

If I were going to "low carb" all day then I would use carbs post workout to replace the glycogen you burned off in training and to cause an insulin pulse to assist transport of the carbs and protein

hmm, i read briefly in the mountaindog diet that you should eat carbs only for fuel. it didnt go specifically into the timing or quantities, so i took it into my own discretion and assumed that meant a full meal - 60-100g carbs.

should i not be having carbs at all on a diet like this? even for fuel/replenishment? if thats the case, what is ideal to have pre workout and post workout?

Think of it this way: The body is amino acid driven and that is what builds muscle as well as supports else in the body.Carbs is like a shot of nitrous oxide in a car or an energy boost.Your gas is protein/fats and give a shot of carbs (nitrous) and it gives a boost and provides some extra energy for training to help the body to heal.your car will run fine on gas alone(pro/fats) but for a boost (nitous) carbs...

Lee haney the last few years of his career ate according to his energy requirments for the next 3 or 4 hours..If training etc.. he incorporated carbs.the rest of the time was pro/fat.

Chris aceto preaches carbs meal 1 and post training are most important times.

Dave palumbo is a low carb cutting guy and even off season he is 50p/25c/25f

lots of different opinions.

There was also a world record bench press set by a guy on palumbos cutting diet 60p/30f/10c so not ideal for strength but can be done.

interesting outlook on things! on my off days i dont eat carbs at all. hmm im just stuck on what i should do on training days! :banghead: lol

id like to hear more opinions from guys on this sort of diet. im still baffled about eating carbs for energy before my workout, after my workout or both. what has worked well for you guys?

Last edited:
I eat at least 25-50g of fibrous low-glycemic carbohydrates each meal, such as fruits, whole grains, brown rice, and yams.

CARBS ARE THE BODY'S PREFERRED ENERGY SOURCE(most efficient), and significantly reducing their intake is never wise, even while cutting.

Carbohydrates will not make you fat, eating an unnecessary calorie surplus from both fats and carbs, will lead to adipose tissue storage. Carb intake should be directly proportionate to MUSCLE MASS and activity level. Lowering carbs will blunt many of the body's natural anabolic processes, while initiating many of the body's natural catabolic processes.

Last edited:
I eat at least 25-50g of fibrous low-glycemic carbohydrates each meal, such as fruits, whole grains, brown rice, and yams.

CARBS ARE THE BODY'S PREFERRED ENERGY SOURCE(most efficient), and significantly reducing their intake is never wise, even while cutting.

Carbohydrates will not make you fat, eating an unnecessary calorie surplus from both fats and carbs, will lead to adipose tissue storage. Carb intake should be directly proportionate to MUSCLE MASS and activity level. Lowering carbs will blunt many of the body's natural anabolic processes, while initiating many of the body's natural catabolic processes.

What anabolic processes will it blunt?? and especially explain how it creates catabolic processes? Carbs have NO role in any of those processes Ross,lol.

Also you need to research about grains and inflammation.That is fact jack,reason for amny modern diseases and cholesterol problems etc...
It is Frustrating as a healthcare provider as you help some but you have others out preaching this crap:mad::banghead:

I've been off and on the anabolic diet for years and have no problems with energy levels eating carbs only on the weekends. The only carbs I eat during the week are trace carbs and those in leafy greens. I have pro/fat shakes (500-900 cals) pre/post workout. Often I workout fasted and it never seems to affect my abilities.

I think that it just depends on your body and how you're adapted. It takes me a bit to jump back to a fat burning diet after eating carbs for a few days or more, but I seem to adapt quicker each time. Now it only takes me a few days for the carb cravings and energy issues to disappear. A few years ago it took me weeks.

What anabolic processes will it blunt?? and especially explain how it creates catabolic processes? Carbs have NO role in any of those processes Ross,lol.

Also you need to research about grains and inflammation.That is fact jack,reason for amny modern diseases and cholesterol problems etc...
It is Frustrating as a healthcare provider as you help some but you have others out preaching this crap:mad::banghead:

Without maximum GLYCOGEN storage, you are not in an optimal anabolic state. Not to mention, cortisol levels will be much higher in the absence of carbs, and that is a major reason why people lose MUSCLE MASS when they drop carbs.

Lowering carbs is catabolic and increasing them is anabolic.

Without maximum GLYCOGEN storage, you are not in an optimal anabolic state. Not to mention, cortisol levels will be much higher in the absence of carbs, and that is a major reason why people lose MUSCLE MASS when they drop carbs.

Lowering carbs is catabolic and increasing them is anabolic.

Your statements are outdated as we all read those same books and philosophies 70's and 80's but much science and research has changed those
beliefs.

I agree that low glycogen is NOT optimal for building muscle,Usually low carb is not used for this goal,however it can be done.

Ketogenic diets have been proven to be the MOST effective at RETAINING muscle mass while losing fat.

As far as cortisol,many many factors (too many to list) contribute to cortisol.
But you really should do some research on grains and inflammation as it really effects the whole body.Carbs used properly can be very beneficial and healthy way to increase energy etc.

Your young and can stay ripped easily,but as you age you will find your body changes and won't use carbs as efficiently.Actually, the wrong ones actually make you just feel like absolute shit.

Your statements are outdated as we all read those same books and philosophies 70's and 80's but much science and research has changed those
beliefs.

I agree that low glycogen is NOT optimal for building muscle,Usually low carb is not used for this goal,however it can be done.

Ketogenic diets have been proven to be the MOST effective at RETAINING muscle mass while losing fat.

As far as cortisol,many many factors (too many to list) contribute to cortisol.
But you really should do some research on grains and inflammation as it really effects the whole body.Carbs used properly can be very beneficial and healthy way to increase energy etc.

Your young and can stay ripped easily,but as you age you will find your body changes and won't use carbs as efficiently.Actually, the wrong ones actually make you just feel like absolute shit.

I respectfully disagree. I've tried both ways for cutting and bulking, and i've found that for myself and my clients, a diet is not a bodybuilding diet without sufficient carbohydrate intake(energy).

I respectfully disagree. I've tried both ways for cutting and bulking, and i've found that for myself and my clients, a diet is not a bodybuilding diet without sufficient carbohydrate intake(energy).

Hmmmm,really? are your clients younger? mainly 20's?

I agree for appreciable mass gain carbs are needed but cutting is a different story from my experience.

Usually get people lean as possible low carbs with fat loss the goal and focus,then add carbs(non-grain) slowly to point of gaining but not too fast or wrong kind weight.But as the saying goes "many ways to skin a cat"

I feel like shit if i don't eat a decent smount of carbs each day. I just keep them clean, fruit, veg, sweet potato. I love the full veiny look my arms have when i eat a reasonable amount of carbs too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I feel like shit if i don't eat a decent smount of carbs each day. I just keep them clean, fruit, veg, sweet potato. I love the full veiny look my arms have when i eat a reasonable amount of carbs too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

This is the same for me, my energy levels take a big dip and I feel flat.

Maybe its a genetic thing or proof of how one size doesn't fit all but I love my carbs :)

Nothing wrong with carbs. I as above, love to get a nice decent amount of carbs in my system every day, provides me with energy and allows me to have really intense sessions

ATM right now im having around 600g carbs a day. To each there own, theres no "right" way of doing it i believe, i prefer to have less protein off-season and more protein for comp, and vise versa with my carbs. My brothers who have similar genetics to me do it a completely different way, yet we both end up achieving the same goal, so i guess as ever its a grey area, and all that is coming across is peoples opinions, and you cant argue with opinions :)

I personaly think i would lose mass if i ate alot of carbs from outs and rice and such as they bloat my stomach badly and wreck my appatite which in turn would greatly reduce my calories thus puting my in a catabolic state.

Im currently getting carbs with every meal but only fromw fruit , i might have a bowl of oatmeal once a week or some sweet potatos once or twice a week with dinner but the serving are small 4-5 oz

This comming contest season i may try just gettin my carbs 2x a day once with breakfast and once post workout

But not having carbs in your diet WILL NOT cause a catabolic state

I've tried both also. You can drop weight fast on a keto diet, but for a NATURAL, I'd rather recommend a pro/carb diet (minimal good fats) in the RIGHT proportions, to get lean and maintain LBM. Yes, 100g of carbs a meal is probably too much for most people, but if you're training higher volume and adding in cardio, this is my preferred method. I felt worlds better on a 40/30/10 macro ratio compared to keto--and I could never get enough fibre on the latter. Eventually, I bogged myself down (I thought I had IBS but it stopped when I added carbs back in) and seemed to always be operating in a highly acidic environment. Look at Dusty Hanshaw's pre-contest diet.

I seem to digest rice/yams/fruit quite well. Maybe that'll change with age, but for now...

I've tried both also. You can drop weight fast on a keto diet, but for a NATURAL, I'd rather recommend a pro/carb diet (minimal good fats) in the RIGHT proportions, to get lean and maintain LBM. Yes, 100g of carbs a meal is probably too much for most people, but if you're training higher volume and adding in cardio, this is my preferred method. I felt worlds better on a 40/30/10 macro ratio compared to keto--and I could never get enough fibre on the latter. Eventually, I bogged myself down (I thought I had IBS but it stopped when I added carbs back in) and seemed to always be operating in a highly acidic environment. Look at Dusty Hanshaw's pre-contest diet.

I seem to digest rice/yams/fruit quite well. Maybe that'll change with age, but for now...

That reminds me of good ole Yogi berra,lol.

"Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical" Yogi

I know what you meant bro 40/30/30 or aka "the zone' ;)

That did crack me up for some reason,lol.:)

That reminds me of good ole Yogi berra,lol.

"Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical" Yogi

I know what you meant bro 40/30/30 or aka "the zone' ;)

That did crack me up for some reason,lol.:)

I thought that to but wasent sure if he was talking about percentage or actual grams as in
40g protein , 30g carbs , 10g fat

Ive seen guys several time end up with 110% or more

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner