over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T nutrition jobs

AlphaMaleDawg

Banned
I am thinking of switching fields of work and seeing what kind of potential there is in nutrition. I have been working in sales for the last few years but really do not enjoy what I do. I have a degree (BS) in finance, another field I have no interest in. I am thinking of trying to get an online BS in nutrition, then possibly following it up with a masters. I know this will be an investment, but I would rather do something I have interest in and am knowledgeable in.

Does anyone here work in nutrition or have a degree in nutrition? Can someone share their thoughts on the industry, what potential jobs there are, etc?

I would appreciate any help or feedback I can get. I am going to be 27 yrs old in a month and a half btw.

I am thinking of switching fields of work and seeing what kind of potential there is in nutrition. I have been working in sales for the last few years but really do not enjoy what I do. I have a degree (BS) in finance, another field I have no interest in. I am thinking of trying to get an online BS in nutrition, then possibly following it up with a masters. I know this will be an investment, but I would rather do something I have interest in and am knowledgeable in.

Does anyone here work in nutrition or have a degree in nutrition? Can someone share their thoughts on the industry, what potential jobs there are, etc?

I would appreciate any help or feedback I can get. I am going to be 27 yrs old in a month and a half btw.

I have no information to share with you regarding jobs/careers in the nutrition field...however I did change careers in my 40's and can tell you that I would make 100% certain that its something that you want to do and it should be something that you are passionate about...especially considering the financial aspect of not working AND paying for your education. I could not be happier that I made the choice I did in changing careers to one that I enjoy because when im working it really doesnt feel like work.

I think this is a better choice then stripping ;)

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this as well. I'm in the same position as you AMD, I fucking hate my job. I have no motivation to do anything, no incentive to try and move up, and can't stand my boss!

I wonder if there is anything in the nutrition/fitness area but more on the business side that guys like us could get into without having to go back to school for? I'm a double major in logistics/information systems but really have no passion for either...

I have no information to share with you regarding jobs/careers in the nutrition field...however I did change careers in my 40's and can tell you that I would make 100% certain that its something that you want to do and it should be something that you are passionate about...especially considering the financial aspect of not working AND paying for your education. I could not be happier that I made the choice I did in changing careers to one that I enjoy because when im working it really doesnt feel like work.

When you switched careers, did you basically have to take a huge pay cut and start over again with the 22 year olds? Did you have to get a degree or anything first?

I think this is a better choice then stripping ;)

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this as well. I'm in the same position as you AMD, I fucking hate my job. I have no motivation to do anything, no incentive to try and move up, and can't stand my boss!

I wonder if there is anything in the nutrition/fitness area but more on the business side that guys like us could get into without having to go back to school for? I'm a double major in logistics/information systems but really have no passion for either...

Sounds like we are in exactly the same position. I also have no incentive to get any work done or anything. It's just so boring. I spend half my day on sites like this one and facebook instead of doing actual work. Yes lazyness is part of that but it's just so hard to motivate myself to do something that sucks.

I'm thinking of trying to get an online degree in nutrition or something...Of course I could also try stripping ;)

AMD my girl's aunt is a registered dietitian. She works in a medical center/hospital and makes a fairly decent salary. About what a RN pulls in I think. Not rich but more than many. I'd echo the idea to know what job you want. Because if you are thinking of transferring your passion for BB type nutrition into the main stream you might be disappointed.
With all due respect my girls aunt is not a fit and healthy looking woman. My personal bias is if you are in a field like that you should not know to eat yourself and not be morbidly obese. It'd be like being a lard ass if you are a trainer or something. Just my bias. Anyway I know she pretty much just consults patients on how to eat. But it is so ass backwards and she doesn't know anything beyond the new food pyramid. Literally her mantra is smaller portions and watch your salt intake. :rolleyes: I tried to talk to her about what low glycemic index carbs were ok on a ketogenic diet and she looked at me like I had a cyclops eye. I was talking way above her education.
So if you wanna work with people who are completely foreign to what we call nutrition good luck.

Nutrition is a great field however an online degree would not take you very far and jobs would be very scarce.. meaning you would be stuck to working at local gyms... All athletic departments, hospitals, old age homes require a Dietician's degree which included a bachelor in Science (which is not a walk in the park and actually very boring) .... so if you are just interested in online degrees then its a side job option meaning you can set up a website and/or have clients part time and provide them with diet information. Ofcourse with your own business you will not even need to do an online course if you feel knowledgeable enough.

How about something along the lines of Kinesiology? again very tough degree

With your major in finance why not get your sector/series 7 and try for a position on the trading floor opening and closing positions for clients at the NYSE.. it s short hours, the day moves by very quickly and your in an exciting atmosphere?

just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
AMD my girl's aunt is a registered dietitian. She works in a medical center/hospital and makes a fairly decent salary. About what a RN pulls in I think. Not rich but more than many. I'd echo the idea to know what job you want. Because if you are thinking of transferring your passion for BB type nutrition into the main stream you might be disappointed.
With all due respect my girls aunt is not a fit and healthy looking woman. My personal bias is if you are in a field like that you should not know to eat yourself and not be morbidly obese. It'd be like being a lard ass if you are a trainer or something. Just my bias. Anyway I know she pretty much just consults patients on how to eat. But it is so ass backwards and she doesn't know anything beyond the new food pyramid. Literally her mantra is smaller portions and watch your salt intake. :rolleyes: I tried to talk to her about what low glycemic index carbs were ok on a ketogenic diet and she looked at me like I had a cyclops eye. I was talking way above her education.
So if you wanna work with people who are completely foreign to what we call nutrition good luck.

A job as a nutritionist at a gym or something would be ideal, but I know it doesn't always work out that way.

When you switched careers, did you basically have to take a huge pay cut and start over again with the 22 year olds? Did you have to get a degree or anything first?

Sounds like we are in exactly the same position. I also have no incentive to get any work done or anything. It's just so boring. I spend half my day on sites like this one and facebook instead of doing actual work. Yes lazyness is part of that but it's just so hard to motivate myself to do something that sucks.

I'm thinking of trying to get an online degree in nutrition or something...Of course I could also try stripping ;)

If you're spending half your day playin on the web then why don't you sign up for the online classes and continue at your current job. Win win

Took a HUGE pay cut. Fortunately my wife makes very good money as well or none of this would have happened at all. I owned a construction company for 22 years and sold my accts, trucks, equipment etc and went to culinary school in NYC (The French Culinary Institute)-got my certificate and started out with the 19-20 year olds (im 47 now)...started my own personal chef service as well as a culinary instructional website set to launch in a couple of months...so the money is coming back in but it took some time.

A job as a nutritionist at a gym or something would be ideal, but I know it doesn't always work out that way.

Do those jobs even exist? I've never been to gym that had its own nutritionist but if your town has that then go for it. That would be a better avenue for ya

Nutrition is a great field however an online degree would not take you very far and jobs would be very scarce.. meaning you would be stuck to working at local gyms... All athletic departments, hospitals, old age homes require a Dietician's degree which included a bachelor in Science (which is not a walk in the park and actually very boring) .... so if you are just interested in online degrees then its a side job option meaning you can set up a website and/or have clients part time and provide them with diet information. Ofcourse with your own business you will not even need to do an online course if you feel knowledgeable enough.

How about something along the lines of Kinesiology? again very tough degree

With your major in finance why not get your sector/series 7 and try for a position on the trading floor opening and closing positions for clients at the NYSE.. it s short hours, the day moves by very quickly and your in an exciting atmosphere?

just my 2 cents...

So I should go for a dietitian's degree instead of an online degree? I am kind of lost with this and wish I had majored in nutrition while I had the chance. Should I find schools in the area that would offer this?

As for the Series 7, I would first need to get employed by a finance company who would sponsor me for that. Again, I am really not interested in that field at all so I don't see what getting into it would really accomplish.

Do those jobs even exist? I've never been to gym that had its own nutritionist but if your town has that then go for it. That would be a better avenue for ya

Yes my gym has a nutritionist. Once new members sign up, they get one free session with this person

So I should go for a dietitian's degree instead of an online degree? I am kind of lost with this and wish I had majored in nutrition while I had the chance. Should I find schools in the area that would offer this?

As for the Series 7, I would first need to get employed by a finance company who would sponsor me for that. Again, I am really not interested in that field at all so I don't see what getting into it would really accomplish.

Yes my gym has a nutritionist. Once new members sign up, they get one free session with this person

Series 7 was just an idea and you could take the test your self ,, but if your not interested its another story I always try to push the stock market on everyone I think has potential because thats REALLY WHERE THE MONEY IS ... and it seemed like you just wanted to make money and not really work which is another reason I mentioned it .. in that industry millionaires are like cracks in the cement everywhere...

As far as dieticians degree with that you will be able to work for schools in competitive athletic departments, (which should be your primary) ... as well as hospitals and old age homes anything less then a detiticians degree will not qualify you for anything other then working at a local gym weight loss centre which pays next to nothing... The dieticians degree is very boring and more scientific then anything..

I totally agree. I ran into this when I was in ICU at the hospital recovering from my heart attack. The nutritionist was about the same as your girl's aunt. I wonder how many hundreds of dollars I paid to sit there and listen to her talk.

Hospitals are where its at. A friend took a job there and started advancing into admin. Two years in and hes at $8k a month.

Id look at hospitals in your area and see what is in demand there and requirments and shoot for that!

work in a gym? = you'll be poor.
work in a hospital? = decent to great income and steady career.

Hospitals are where its at. A friend took a job there and started advancing into admin. Two years in and hes at $8k a month.

Id look at hospitals in your area and see what is in demand there and requirments and shoot for that!

True. I think the only way to make any kind of living would be to work at the hospital. Youll end up helping people like me who survive heart attacks etc. It could be very rewarding for you if that is your thing. I would look at it as a kind of occupational therapy, teaching people how to eat to be healthy and prolong their lives, forget about doing it for sports purposes.

True. I think the only way to make any kind of living would be to work at the hospital. Youll end up helping people like me who survive heart attacks etc. It could be very rewarding for you if that is your thing. I would look at it as a kind of occupational therapy, teaching people how to eat to be healthy and prolong their lives, forget about doing it for sports purposes.

Great suggestions. I really had no idea working as a dietician in a hospital had so much potential. You do need a dietician's degree, right?

Anyone know how long it takes to get one? itrain?

its a 4 year degree.... and then your required a minimum amount of hours working along another dietician (almost like how trades require apprecenticeship hours) so once you graduate its not a free for all go and find a job... Dont quote me but I belive the amount of hours in ridiculous and takes about 2 years... however most students start accumulating hours during there summer months while attending the program the only problem is its usually as volunteer.. however once you make it through all the bs you will be stress free worry free and loving life... but yea its definitely not a fly by night course

my mate has a degree in dietetics, 4 year degree

had to do a masters aswell before anyone would hire him, no one would hire him with a standard degree

alot of work he found was in hospitals (health, mental, surgical), average-good pay, plus experience that is required

theres also very well payed work in sporting organisations and clubs(his long term goals), but much harder to get into unless you have alot of experience or know someone who can get you in

he does also personal training on the side for supplementary income, but does close to nothing in that anymore ever since he started working at a hospital

Last edited:
What field of sales AMD?

I've been in three fields of sales. First was hair products (no homo but they needed someone who was bilingual in French, which I am), next was treasury management software, now for the job board industry (think monster, careerbuilder, etc)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear