advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long do the effects of alcohol consumption effectme growth?

ajdonutz

Kilo Klub Member
From my research i have basically gathered that while the alcohol is being metabolized the body places it as of more importance than other nutrients, thus stopping protein synthesis while the alcohol is being processed, but once the alcohol has been metabolized the body gets back on track and resumes normal function ie repairing tissue/protein synthesis. Anyone have any more on the subject?

Sweet thanks. So basically its chalked up that the main negative effects on muscle building and alcohol are its effects on LH and cortisol causing a lower testosterone serum? So therefore being enhanced and having cortisol controlled the negative effects on protein synthesis are minimal, correct?

I wouldnt be concerned with the protein synthesis issue but rather the missing meals, staying up late, sleeping in, training not up to snuff, etc,etc. If ur asking because you like to have a few drinks every night or if you like to go out on the weekends and party; then in either situation you prolly have to review your goals and priorities

I wouldnt be concerned with the protein synthesis issue but rather the missing meals, staying up late, sleeping in, training not up to snuff, etc,etc. If ur asking because you like to have a few drinks every night or if you like to go out on the weekends and party; then in either situation you prolly have to review your goals and priorities

I agree 100%! Most of my friends like to poke-fun at me because I don't drink - at all! They like to go out, party, get wasted, eat bar food, etc. I haven't touched a single sip of alcohol for over 6 years now. Most of the time people who meet me for the first time ask (or assume) I am Mormon, or some sort of religious.

As a personal trainer I always tell my clients, you really need to decide what is most important to you and evaluate your priorities. I personally can live without any alcohol, that's just me though.

I totally agree. I stay away from it completely. Not just because of my goals, but also because I saw how it slowly killed my wife at the age of 28. Even her death cert says COD - Chronic Ethanolism.

I am not against other people enjoying a drink responsibly, but it's just not for me.

Im not sure how drinking would cause missing meals? I havent missed a single meal since i began this sport. Lol.. my dedication is 100%, but i also like to enjoy my life and other things i enjoy. I dont make a living out of this, so why wouldnt i? Man.. as phil has been preaching lately, it really is sad all the people who give up everything they enjoy just to slave at this. Dont get me wrong, i give 150% on training and diet every single day, cheat on dieting strategically, and play the game as it was meant to be played. But if i have a chance to socially drink eith peers i dont see why i would totally give that up if its something i really enjoy.. it would be nice to be able to create a thread asking for input on something and not have this bs.

Im not sure how drinking would cause missing meals? I havent missed a single meal since i began this sport. Lol.. my dedication is 100%, but i also like to enjoy my life and other things i enjoy. I dont make a living out of this, so why wouldnt i? Man.. as phil has been preaching lately, it really is sad all the people who give up everything they enjoy just to slave at this. Dont get me wrong, i give 150% on training and diet every single day, cheat on dieting strategically, and play the game as it was meant to be played. But if i have a chance to socially drink eith peers i dont see why i would totally give that up if its something i really enjoy.. it would be nice to be able to create a thread asking for input on something and not have this bs.

I don't think your taking the point correctly. In your question you were concerned about the inhibition of protein synthesis from drinking. From the question, it sounded like you are/were/plan to be drinking frequently and/or in large amounts. Drinking 1x/ week isnt really going to inhibit protein synthesis enough to effect muscle growth. Nobody is asking you to give up your life and not have fun. I can tell you tho from personal experience that in the last 3 years I have gone from sub 10% bodyfat ay 210-215 to sub 10% bodyfat at 240-245 partly by decrease my partying/drinking. I used to drink/party 1-2x/ week every week. Now maybe i go out once every 2-4 weeks. Now when I do go out, all my meals are prepped for the next day and also I eat meal# 6 right before I go out and meal#7 right when i get home to keep a steady stream of protein coming in. Just my 2cents. When it comes to building an admirable physique. it's tough to serve 2 masters !!!

drinking will only affect gains if you are natural really. If you aren't, then it's just the health aspect that it will affect, for the most part. At least that is what it seems like to me

Chronic alcohol consumption will hinder gains and effect metabolism negatively. If your having a couple drinks on weekends or 1 or 2 a day you are probably OK. If your drinking a liter of vodka a day than your phucked.

Its a poison and your body prioritizes its metabolization before it will burn other energy sources (carbs, protein, fat, etc). So while your drinking and until your body eliminates all of it, only alcohol is being burned. Thats how I think about it.

I dont think it matters to much if your not natural and on gear, your bodies anabolism should overcome any catabolic properties associated with booze. That said it does not fit the life style well and moderation is key, but you gotta live at the same time once in a while.

I don't think your taking the point correctly. In your question you were concerned about the inhibition of protein synthesis from drinking. From the question, it sounded like you are/were/plan to be drinking frequently and/or in large amounts. Drinking 1x/ week isnt really going to inhibit protein synthesis enough to effect muscle growth. Nobody is asking you to give up your life and not have fun. I can tell you tho from personal experience that in the last 3 years I have gone from sub 10% bodyfat ay 210-215 to sub 10% bodyfat at 240-245 partly by decrease my partying/drinking. I used to drink/party 1-2x/ week every week. Now maybe i go out once every 2-4 weeks. Now when I do go out, all my meals are prepped for the next day and also I eat meal# 6 right before I go out and meal#7 right when i get home to keep a steady stream of protein coming in. Just my 2cents. When it comes to building an admirable physique. it's tough to serve 2 masters !!!

Alright this post is much more realistic. And i actually do the exact same thing. Meal 6 about an hour before drinking and meal 7 about an hour after my last drink. And definitely dont miss meals the next day.

And alpha and earch yeah thats what i was thinking and i agree earch. I go through some periods where im burnt out on it and wont drink for a few months, then when im at it it will be 1-2x a week and only starting at 9pm or later. Never during the day .. i get my gym time in and have all but one meal before starting.

Alright this post is much more realistic. And i actually do the exact same thing. Meal 6 about an hour before drinking and meal 7 about an hour after my last drink. And definitely dont miss meals the next day.

And alpha and earch yeah thats what i was thinking and i agree earch. I go through some periods where im burnt out on it and wont drink for a few months, then when im at it it will be 1-2x a week and only starting at 9pm or later. Never during the day .. i get my gym time in and have all but one meal before starting.

Same with me. I am kind of burnt out from all the partying I used to do. I was an animal and would drink heavily and just be wild. I don't do that much anymore. Sometimes though but only if I am with a good group of people I want to hang out with. Nowadays I'll have like 1-2 drinks maybe once a week, with two big drunken outings a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less

Same with me. I am kind of burnt out from all the partying I used to do. I was an animal and would drink heavily and just be wild. I don't do that much anymore. Sometimes though but only if I am with a good group of people I want to hang out with. Nowadays I'll have like 1-2 drinks maybe once a week, with two big drunken outings a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less

Yeah i recently went like 4 months without a drink. Longest i had ever gone since the first time i drank. Lol. I was just so burnt out on it i didn't even want to or even to go out really.. just started going out again within the past month or so and i enjoy it all again for now haha. Ive made a ton of progress even during the times i drank every weekend so it cant be too detrimental, and obviously you havent had much trouble progressing lol

Hops

I love my beer, and part of a brewery. Most people don't realize the effects of hops actually increase estrogen. German beer makers noticed long ago that the young women who picked hops in the fields commonly experienced early menstrual periods.

I love drinking and going out. But had to put an end to it.
I always felt it hindered production in the gym. Its been probably six months since Ive had a drink until 2 nights ago. ..this is two days ago and i'm still feeling flat and not a full in the muscles. It happens to me every-time. if some people can get away with it thats awesome but my body won't let me

I will tell you like I tell lots of people '' If Arnold could do it, so can I'' He enjoyed a little drink and is open about it. Didn't seem to hold him back. Do your thing bro its not gonna hurt you on a occasional basis

Sweet thanks. So basically its chalked up that the main negative effects on muscle building and alcohol are its effects on LH and cortisol causing a lower testosterone serum? So therefore being enhanced and having cortisol controlled the negative effects on protein synthesis are minimal, correct?

you pretty much summed it up

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members