over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

baked potato complex or simple carb

bbg420

Registered
man its so confusing sometimes with the carbs, brown rice good ,white rice bad, whats your guys take on some of the best complex carb sources ,btw being an ectomorph does it really matter complex or simple, thoughts

Sweet potato, whole grain oats, brown rice, whole wheat... white potatoes are fine when bulking..

It doesn't really matter. So many things come into it. But you can't go wrong with the above. Sure if you want to be really anal about it carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes and yams throughout the day. First thing am and post workout white rice or similar.

Then fruit comes in just to confuse you even more. Just keep it simple. I use a balance of the 'good' carbs you usually see listed such as what I have above. With lots of fruit thrown in ... ideally a 50/50 ratio of traditional complex carbs and fruit (that is complex too) for me. You will get countless guys saying how bad fruit is but then you get others who run it as their primary carb source through their contest preps.

If your eating every 2 hours it doesn't really matter just keep it nutritious and healthy. My personal favs (and what I eat most days) are pineapple, sweet potatoes, banana, brown rice/pasta and blueberries.

Last edited:
white potatoes are more starchy than sweet potatoes same with white rice , so their glycemic index is higher (cause more insulin spike) so it realy depends on what your goal is , if you are eating a meal right after training then white potatoes or rice might suit you better

Biggest mistake anyone can do is care about white rice, brown rice, sweet potato, regular potato! Work with what digest well for YOU regardless of cutting or bulking. When combined with protein and veges etc it lessens the insulin spike so the GI shit is garbage. I know plenty of folks that get EXTREMELY lean eating fruit all the way up to shows. If your body processes the food well use it

What about cous cous, for carb source when dieting?

Biggest mistake anyone can do is care about white rice, brown rice, sweet potato, regular potato! Work with what digest well for YOU regardless of cutting or bulking. When combined with protein and veges etc it lessens the insulin spike so the GI shit is garbage. I know plenty of folks that get EXTREMELY lean eating fruit all the way up to shows. If your body processes the food well use it

i for one digest fruit the best. i feel the best when eating fruit. don't certain fruits have a very low GI or Glycemic Load regardless of sugar content?? berries specifically?

I agree 100%.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have read countless studies and yess depending on how some carbs are cooked it dramatically changes there GI..

Sweet potato boiled 44-48
Sweet potato baked 56-58

Basmati rice (boiled) 36-40
Parboiled white rice (boiled) 48
Parboiled Long grain Borown rice 50

What I dont understand is how brown rice is higher in the glycemic index then white rice when it has fiber in it? Thoughts?

Also how is Basmati so much lower then both white and brown,, Has anyone notice white rice really digesting faster then brown?

I know when i eat chicken and white rice im starving again in about 1.5 hours. When i do chicken and brown rice i stay full for 2.5-3 hours. Personally i have moved over to white rice for cutting and bulking as i actually like the being hungry feeling. Makes me feel as though my body is using the food more efficiently and it's not just sitting in my gut.

It doesn't really matter. So many things come into it. But you can't go wrong with the above. Sure if you want to be really anal about it carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes and yams throughout the day. First thing am and post workout white rice or similar.

Then fruit comes in just to confuse you even more. Just keep it simple. I use a balance of the 'good' carbs you usually see listed such as what I have above. With lots of fruit thrown in ... ideally a 50/50 ratio of traditional complex carbs and fruit (that is complex too) for me. You will get countless guys saying how bad fruit is but then you get others who run it as their primary carb source through their contest preps.

If your eating every 2 hours it doesn't really matter just keep it nutritious and healthy. My personal favs (and what I eat most days) are pineapple, sweet potatoes, banana, brown rice/pasta and blueberries.

Sweet potato and a yam is the same thing I thought bro?

My buddy uses jasmine rice all the way up to a show and he is big as hell and impressive he said you tell me what difference it is gonna make bc this works for me.

James from what you experienced with the white rice it seems the lack of fiber is causing a faster rate of digestion and a higher insulin response IE the hunger feeling,, and the added fiber in the brown is keeping you full longer which is what I thought would happen exactly from looking at the nutrient profile, however in real world tests it seems to not prove this.

Sweet potato and a yam is the same thing I thought bro?

there two different things with different nutrient profiles,,

Yams are dark purple flesh,

Sweet potatoes are Orange flesh

Glad someone said it. Thank you.

My buddy uses jasmine rice all the way up to a show and he is big as hell and impressive he said you tell me what difference it is gonna make bc this works for me.

All I eat is jasmine rice, white/red potatoes, and rice noodles for my carbs. I tend to feel best on these sources and digest it quite easily (no bloat).

Last edited:
I really just go for whichever carb suits my body best, and doesn't give me any digestion problems. I like to switch it up sometimes, i think at the end of the day, carbs are carbs

I really just go for whichever carb suits my body best, and doesn't give me any digestion problems. I like to switch it up sometimes, i think at the end of the day, carbs are carbs

I did some testing with blood glucose metering before and after several differant carbs and from what I found their doesn't seem to be a huge difference

White rice, brown rice, white/red potato, yam, sweet potato, oats, cream of wheat, Ezekiel bread....... Doesn't really seem to make a difference in my fat loss. As long as I hit my macros. I do cut out all sugars though when dieting... Including fruit

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131